Duh -- plate holder not needed for back plate

Kelleytoons

Okay, so color me stupid, but until today I was sure I needed a plate holder for my back license plate, both for looks as well as security.  Luckily I didn't order the one I had in my wish list on Amazon, because when I put on my personalized plate today I realized the C-Max, like my Durango, is actually *designed* not to have a plate holder (it has these nice rubberized "feet" that come through on the bottom plate holes and would *not* be applicable to putting a plate holder on anyway).

I've always kind of hated plate holders but in Nevada, where a front plate is required, they were a necessary evil.  But the look of the car without them is SO much nicer and cleaner I'm really glad Ford designed it this way (and perhaps that's the way it's always been on cars and I've just never noticed it because I always had them on both front and back and assumed I needed them).

Here are two pics of the plate without a frame, and a closeup of the little rubber thing on one side:

License1.jpg

License2.jpg

After looking at these images I've decided the only thing I need are some black screws for the top, to match (kind of anal but I think it will look better that way).  I suspect I can find these at my local auto store.

I hate to buy a plate holder just to get those screws, but I can't find them anywhere else (at least so far -- I need to check Lowe's, maybe even today).

The two hardware stores I went to said "Just paint the screws black" but that seems like an awful lot of trouble for something I *ought* to be able to buy for less than a dollar.

Well, the second link is for bolts, not screws (and thus won't work on our C-Max's).  

And the first one is a special order item, not carried in the stores (and, yes, I looked at both Autozone and other auto parts stores).  And for that price ($11) I could get a plate holder AND the screws (which themselves should cost less than $1).

Now, you get 25 in that pack, which is why it's ridiculously expensive.  I only need two (if I had 11 other friends we could go in on it, but...)

I'll try Lowes.

Well, I understand that point and do appreciate the feedback, Eve.  However, I don't have much (any?) chrome trim on the car (we don't have that package and I kind of hate chrome trim so I'm glad we don't) and I do think having black screws there would be much better.

It sounds like I'm anal and I'm really not, but it just kind of irks me that I can't easily solve this problem, so I'll probably continue to hammer away at it (not obsessively, mind you, but just something to do when I'm out and about). Plus... it gives me another excuse to drive Maximis (to the parts stores :>).

Well, the second link is for bolts, not screws (and thus won't work on our C-Max's).  

And the first one is a special order item, not carried in the stores (and, yes, I looked at both Autozone and other auto parts stores).  And for that price ($11) I could get a plate holder AND the screws (which themselves should cost less than $1).

Now, you get 25 in that pack, which is why it's ridiculously expensive.  I only need two (if I had 11 other friends we could go in on it, but...)

I'll try Lowes.

They'll probably have something like that there. Possibly even your dealer may have some left over from one of the front plate kits.

Edited by MichaelM

• 7 months later...

Actually, I eventually found them at an auto parts store (I believe it was the Auto Zone but it was so long ago I don't remember).  Four came in the package, for a few dollars, and they were a perfect fit and match and all was then fine (I haven't thought about it for months now until you posted in this old thread).

I have chrome plate holders in the back and the front because it dresses it up a bit. I took the nubs out because of the plate holder, but it rattled, so I re-installed them so the plate rests on the rubber nubs and that stopped the rattling. Regarding screws, I live in MN, the Land of Lakes and salt, so I installed stainless steel screws front and back to avoid the eventual rust streaks when the galvanization wears off.

Edited by timwil56