Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

12V Battery TSB 14-0155

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

This was shared on the Energi forum so I thought I'd add it here too.  If nothing else, make sure and read the last page (#5) of the attached PDF.

Attached Files

• Bill-N and djc like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Questions:

1. Does any of this reprogramming have unexpected consequences - like removing Lifetime sceen or resetting accumulated values?
  2. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles when you have the first occurrence?
  3. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles and you did have a previous occurence?
  4. Will Ford do it as a "precaution" if you never had a dead battery?

Page 5 item 3 is quite informative - I now understand the term "green thumb drive".  It doesn't use any power!

#3 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Questions:

1. Does any of this reprogramming have unexpected consequences - like removing Lifetime sceen or resetting accumulated values?
  2. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles when you have the first occurrence?
  3. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles and you did have a previous occurence?
  4. Will Ford do it as a "precaution" if you never had a dead battery?

Page 5 item 3 is quite informative - I now understand the term "green thumb drive".  It doesn't use any power!

Someone at Ford is quite delusional  ;)

#4 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • LocationDurham NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Someone at Ford is quite delusional ;)

About what?  All of the items that have been found to be causes of inability to start car that are not mentioned in this TSB?

Edited by DaveofDurham, 09 September 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Very interesting.  It would appear that vehicles built after 6/3/2013 have had treatment to the wiring harness. 

#6 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

About what?  All of the items that have been found to be causes of inability to start car that are not mentioned in this TSB?

About thumb drives not drawing power. Actually, there should be no reason for a customer to remove anything plugged into a USB port. Those ports are powered by the APIM (Auxiliary Protocol Interface Module) which is what runs SYNC. When the car is powered off it should always shut down regardless of what might be plugged into a USB port. 

#7 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

Very interesting.  It would appear that vehicles built after 6/3/2013 have had treatment to the wiring harness. 

Yes, to the  wiring harness at the rear hatch, regarding a chaffing problem.

I'm surprised this TSB is not about water intrusion in connectors under the front hood, since the SSM notice from early summer or late spring told service departments that a TSB would be out in 3rd quarter about the water intrusion problem.

#8 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

3rd quarter?  3 weeks yet to go!  The Enterprise (our car) was built in April 2013.  Do TSBs show on ETIS site?

#9 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 615 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

This was shared on the Energi forum so I thought I'd add it here too.  If nothing else, make sure and read the last page (#5) of the attached PDF.

Thank you.

#10 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

About thumb drives not drawing power. Actually, there should be no reason for a customer to remove anything plugged into a USB port. Those ports are powered by the APIM (Auxiliary Protocol Interface Module) which is what runs SYNC. When the car is powered off it should always shut down regardless of what might be plugged into a USB port. 

Not so. My USB thumb drive had an LED and it stayed active all the time. I unplugged it and my 12V battery SOC stabilized.

#11 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

Not so. My USB thumb drive had an LED and it stayed active all the time. I unplugged it and my 12V battery SOC stabilized.

What does the LED have to do with anything? All it does is make the thumb drive draw slightly more current when it is powered. The point I was making is that once the car is turned off the APIM should turn off in all cases - which will result in power being turned off to the USB sockets, regardless of what is plugged in.

Apparently Ford hasn't figured out how to make the APIM shut off 100% of the time. Since it's running Microsoft Automotive OS maybe working 100% of the time is too much to expect.

#12 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

What does the LED have to do with anything? All it does is make the thumb drive draw slightly more current when it is powered. The point I was making is that once the car is turned off the APIM should turn off in all cases - which will result in power being turned off to the USB sockets, regardless of what is plugged in.

Apparently Ford hasn't figured out how to make the APIM shut off 100% of the time. Since it's running Microsoft Automotive OS maybe working 100% of the time is too much to expect.

My drive kept the LED flashing 100% of the time. IMO, it was able to keep the buss active and that made the APIM stay active.

Why else would the SOC stop dropping after it was removed from the USB port ?

#13 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

Since it's running Microsoft Automotive OS maybe working 100% of the time is too much to expect.

And How!  Please Ford, give us an upgrade to QNX!

#14 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

My drive kept the LED flashing 100% of the time. IMO, it was able to keep the buss active and that made the APIM stay active.

Why else would the SOC stop dropping after it was removed from the USB port ?

You have cause and effect reversed. The LED flashing just indicates that the APIM is reading from the thumb drive even though the APIM is supposed to have gone to sleep. The thumb drive can't tell the APIM to do anything, the APIM is in control. 

I had one instance where the APIM did not shut down. Opening the door (which starts a bunch of stuff up, including the APIM) and then closing the door again resulted in the APIM shutting down normally after 30 seconds or so.

The APIM software works 99.9% of the time but sometimes it just doesn't do what it supposed to do. 

#15 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 333 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

Couple weeks ago after shutting and locking doors I stayed by the vehicle and noticed the instrument panel lights did not go off (probably more than a minute, and much longer than usual).  I re-entered the car, started and stopped the ignition, exited and locked and that time all went well.  But if I hadn't happened to check?   SEL built early Feb. 2014.

• hybridbear likes this

#16 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Couple weeks ago after shutting and locking doors I stayed by the vehicle and noticed the instrument panel lights did not go off (probably more than a minute, and much longer than usual).  I re-entered the car, started and stopped the ignition, exited and locked and that time all went well.  But if I hadn't happened to check?   SEL built early Feb. 2014.

I think weird glitches like this are the cause of a lot of the battery failures. Glad to see that Ford has a detailed repair now. I hope it works!

#17 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 333 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Correction:  my SEL was built early February 2013.

#18 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

You have cause and effect reversed. The LED flashing just indicates that the APIM is reading from the thumb drive even though the APIM is supposed to have gone to sleep. The thumb drive can't tell the APIM to do anything, the APIM is in control. 

I had one instance where the APIM did not shut down. Opening the door (which starts a bunch of stuff up, including the APIM) and then closing the door again resulted in the APIM shutting down normally after 30 seconds or so.

The APIM software works 99.9% of the time but sometimes it just doesn't do what it supposed to do. 

My thumb drive always had the flashing LED. If your theory were valid, the amperage draw would not have

changed as the APIM would have still been active and drawing amperage after the drive was removed.

How do you explain the amperage draw turning off after removing the drive, if it wasn't the drive causing the

APIM to stay active ????????????

Edited by drdiesel1, 10 September 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

Did you open the door to remove the drive? That would be one explanation. Another is that when you removed the drive that causes different code to be executed in the APIM, at that point maybe it finally figured out it wasn't supposed to be on in the first place.

#20 OFFLINE   CMax-Traveler

CMax-Traveler

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Hybrid SE 201A

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

My thumb drive always had the flashing LED. If your theory were valid, the amperage draw would not have

changed as the APIM would have still been active and drawing amperage after the drive was removed.

How do you explain the amperage draw turning off after removing the drive, if it wasn't the drive causing the

APIM to stay active ????????????

USB has two data pins and two power pins... the LEDs I've seen on thumb drives are powered by the power pins, regardless of the data - and then flash upon data usage.

Not knowing anything about how it's actually set up... is it possible that the power pins are connected directly to the battery rather than switched via the APIM?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·