12V Battery TSB 14-0155

fotomoto

Questions:

1. Does any of this reprogramming have unexpected consequences - like removing Lifetime sceen or resetting accumulated values?
  2. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles when you have the first occurrence?
  3. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles and you did have a previous occurence?
  4. Will Ford do it as a "precaution" if you never had a dead battery?

Page 5 item 3 is quite informative - I now understand the term "green thumb drive".  It doesn't use any power!

Questions:

1. Does any of this reprogramming have unexpected consequences - like removing Lifetime sceen or resetting accumulated values?
  2. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles when you have the first occurrence?
  3. Will it be covered under warrenty if car is past 36,000 miles and you did have a previous occurence?
  4. Will Ford do it as a "precaution" if you never had a dead battery?

Page 5 item 3 is quite informative - I now understand the term "green thumb drive".  It doesn't use any power!

Someone at Ford is quite delusional  ;)

About what?  All of the items that have been found to be causes of inability to start car that are not mentioned in this TSB?

About thumb drives not drawing power. Actually, there should be no reason for a customer to remove anything plugged into a USB port. Those ports are powered by the APIM (Auxiliary Protocol Interface Module) which is what runs SYNC. When the car is powered off it should always shut down regardless of what might be plugged into a USB port. 

Very interesting.  It would appear that vehicles built after 6/3/2013 have had treatment to the wiring harness. 

Yes, to the  wiring harness at the rear hatch, regarding a chaffing problem.

I'm surprised this TSB is not about water intrusion in connectors under the front hood, since the SSM notice from early summer or late spring told service departments that a TSB would be out in 3rd quarter about the water intrusion problem.

About thumb drives not drawing power. Actually, there should be no reason for a customer to remove anything plugged into a USB port. Those ports are powered by the APIM (Auxiliary Protocol Interface Module) which is what runs SYNC. When the car is powered off it should always shut down regardless of what might be plugged into a USB port. 

Not so. My USB thumb drive had an LED and it stayed active all the time. I unplugged it and my 12V battery SOC stabilized.

Not so. My USB thumb drive had an LED and it stayed active all the time. I unplugged it and my 12V battery SOC stabilized.

What does the LED have to do with anything? All it does is make the thumb drive draw slightly more current when it is powered. The point I was making is that once the car is turned off the APIM should turn off in all cases - which will result in power being turned off to the USB sockets, regardless of what is plugged in.

Apparently Ford hasn't figured out how to make the APIM shut off 100% of the time. Since it's running Microsoft Automotive OS maybe working 100% of the time is too much to expect.

What does the LED have to do with anything? All it does is make the thumb drive draw slightly more current when it is powered. The point I was making is that once the car is turned off the APIM should turn off in all cases - which will result in power being turned off to the USB sockets, regardless of what is plugged in.

Apparently Ford hasn't figured out how to make the APIM shut off 100% of the time. Since it's running Microsoft Automotive OS maybe working 100% of the time is too much to expect.

My drive kept the LED flashing 100% of the time. IMO, it was able to keep the buss active and that made the APIM stay active.

Why else would the SOC stop dropping after it was removed from the USB port ?

My drive kept the LED flashing 100% of the time. IMO, it was able to keep the buss active and that made the APIM stay active.

Why else would the SOC stop dropping after it was removed from the USB port ?

You have cause and effect reversed. The LED flashing just indicates that the APIM is reading from the thumb drive even though the APIM is supposed to have gone to sleep. The thumb drive can't tell the APIM to do anything, the APIM is in control. 

I had one instance where the APIM did not shut down. Opening the door (which starts a bunch of stuff up, including the APIM) and then closing the door again resulted in the APIM shutting down normally after 30 seconds or so.

The APIM software works 99.9% of the time but sometimes it just doesn't do what it supposed to do. 

Couple weeks ago after shutting and locking doors I stayed by the vehicle and noticed the instrument panel lights did not go off (probably more than a minute, and much longer than usual).  I re-entered the car, started and stopped the ignition, exited and locked and that time all went well.  But if I hadn't happened to check?   SEL built early Feb. 2014.

Couple weeks ago after shutting and locking doors I stayed by the vehicle and noticed the instrument panel lights did not go off (probably more than a minute, and much longer than usual).  I re-entered the car, started and stopped the ignition, exited and locked and that time all went well.  But if I hadn't happened to check?   SEL built early Feb. 2014.

I think weird glitches like this are the cause of a lot of the battery failures. Glad to see that Ford has a detailed repair now. I hope it works!

You have cause and effect reversed. The LED flashing just indicates that the APIM is reading from the thumb drive even though the APIM is supposed to have gone to sleep. The thumb drive can't tell the APIM to do anything, the APIM is in control. 

I had one instance where the APIM did not shut down. Opening the door (which starts a bunch of stuff up, including the APIM) and then closing the door again resulted in the APIM shutting down normally after 30 seconds or so.

The APIM software works 99.9% of the time but sometimes it just doesn't do what it supposed to do. 

My thumb drive always had the flashing LED. If your theory were valid, the amperage draw would not have

changed as the APIM would have still been active and drawing amperage after the drive was removed.

How do you explain the amperage draw turning off after removing the drive, if it wasn't the drive causing the

APIM to stay active ????????????

Edited by drdiesel1

My thumb drive always had the flashing LED. If your theory were valid, the amperage draw would not have

changed as the APIM would have still been active and drawing amperage after the drive was removed.

How do you explain the amperage draw turning off after removing the drive, if it wasn't the drive causing the

APIM to stay active ????????????

USB has two data pins and two power pins... the LEDs I've seen on thumb drives are powered by the power pins, regardless of the data - and then flash upon data usage.

Not knowing anything about how it's actually set up... is it possible that the power pins are connected directly to the battery rather than switched via the APIM?

USB has two data pins and two power pins... the LEDs I've seen on thumb drives are powered by the power pins, regardless of the data - and then flash upon data usage.

Not knowing anything about how it's actually set up... is it possible that the power pins are connected directly to the battery rather than switched via the APIM?

Yes, It would be very possible. It's a draw and that's all I can report on. IDK if it was keeping the buss active or not, but others

have been pointing to that possibility. Either way, the draw stopped pulling my SOC below 75% after unplugging the drive.

That's also the only thing I could verify with my charger. I never tested the parasitic load or verified what the draw was.

Only that it stopped after removing the drive from the port..

Edited by drdiesel1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

About a month ago my MFT when unresponsive.  I could touch the screen, but was unable to control the radio or other functions via the touch screen.  The voice control button didn't work either.  I performed a reset on the MFT, and still was unable to use the touchscreen or voice commands.  I was planning on taking it into the dealer to get it looked at.  Before I was able to schedule the visit with the dealer, my battery was dead after sitting for ~12 hours.  We had nothing plugged into the USB or 110v ports. I got it jump started and the MFT and voice commands returned. I took it into the dealer a couple of weeks later and mentioned this incident, and they performed this TSB.   All has been well now for a couple of days.  Just providing another data point.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I had the same problem. Energi built spring of 13.

Was driving and had a glitch. Radio was playing but all touch screen and mechanical controls to radio were inop.

couldnot use voice command, on-off button, volume updown on steering wheel, knob on dash.

Got tomy destination, turned car off. Plugged into 120 charger. Radio would not shut off.

Next day car was dead. 12 volt jump and everything back to normal. All controls work.

Wondering what the glitch was that caused the MFT and all mechanical switches to stop operating.