1 st oil change

cmaxlen

vehicle- 2013 cmax hybrid

miles per month - 3000

I am close to my first oil change at 10000 miles

my first oil change is free so im taking it to the dealer

should I get synthetic or synthetic blend?

I won't be going to the dealer anymore they are too expensive and ive always changed my own oil, transmission fluid and did tune ups on all my vehicles

I'd like to know what other 2013 cmax hybrid drivers use for oil

thanks

so the first oil change will be motorcaft synthetic blend??

It should be if they go by the manual which has motorcraft specs but my local dealership didn't have it (I guess) because they used mobil 1 full syn 5w-20. :happy feet:     The receipt show a $75 charge/credit.  :drop:  

I'm a DIY and use mobil 1 0W-20 and mobil 1 filter and save approximately $50 per change compared to the dealership rate.  

I just had my first service at the dealership.  I had a free oil change included with some sort of Customer Rewards program when I bought the car at a different dealership.  Turned out my new dealership was not part of this plan.  I was pretty annoyed but wrote a respectful email to the Service Manager.  One hour later I had a free oil/filter change included.  I only paid $25 for tire rotation. 

I couldn't work up the energy to ask for 0W20 (Scuba, I think I read you weren't getting better mileage a month or two ago on a different thread) so I just let them put in 5W20 synthetic. 

But when I change the oil myself the second time I'll put in Mobil 0W20 full synthetic. 

• 8 months later...

I am coming up on my 10,000 mile service - my oil light has not come on it but in the "engage" display the little service engine soon light is on.  However, it is not on in any other display.  Do I wait til the oil light comes on (I am at 9,650 miles) or just go ahead and get service now?  This is for a 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL.

I am coming up on my 10,000 mile service - my oil light has not come on it but in the "engage" display the little service engine soon light is on.  However, it is not on in any other display.  Do I wait til the oil light comes on (I am at 9,650 miles) or just go ahead and get service now?  This is for a 2014 C-Max Hybrid SEL.

I just changed mine at 10,100 mile.  I had 2% oil life left when I changed it.  No lights ever came on.

The spec I think it 10K miles but changing it sooner is always OK too.  Your call on that one.  You are so close anyway it really does not matter that much.  I think I would change it ASAP if the light was on. 

Did my first oil change last month at just over 2 years.  I was waiting for the dash message, but did not get it.  Got the message the next week.  (Shop had forgotten to reset.)  I did the 0W20 full synthetic.

You should have gotten a message after 1 year to change oil if it was less than 10k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

But when its running its doing "double duty" driving the car and charging the HVB at the same time.  But it should come out to less wear overall, and I agree, synthetic should be good for more than 10,000 miles.  At least I hope so!  I always go over, sometimes quite a bit. ;)

It's confusing to me, the engine only runs about half the time so at 10,000 miles on the car, the engine has only gone 5000 miles running. That's a low mileage to change synthetic oil.

At one year old changed the oil with 7000 miles on it and the oil looked clean.  Changed to full synthetic and one year later after another 8000 miles oil looked dirty.

I see you're having an oil service life discussion in the dark. Let me shed some light.

This is what $35 gets you at Blackstone. There are other labs... 

$25 won't include TBN, which is the really important for judging oil age. It's a measure of the pH buffer remaining. A "buffered" solution has additives that will neutralize both acid and base addition, to maintain pH in the target range. An oil with low TBN has a worn-out buffer and pH will start to drop soon.

Looks like I had some life left at 25K (nearing 35K now).

To Snow's point, the engine is designed to run at high load, for efficiency. To wb8's comment, it's only running half the time, but that means lots of cold starts, operating below operating temperature, and in Winter, never achieving operating temperature.

I would expect both aspects to hurt oil life by virtue of increased blow-by on the power stroke. Crankcase ventilation removes most of those gasses, but some still dissolve in the oil and eat away at the buffer solution measured by TBN.

I've got full synth 0W20 in now, so we'll see how the fourth change differs.

Have fun,
Frank

I was assuming you would need to take out a sample.  Perhaps check when its new and then start checking every month or so after you reach 10k.  This article describes how it was done in a lab using a solvent that makes a reading possible.  (Solvent is Isopropyl Alcohol, Toluene, & Water.)  We don't need accurate lab analysis, just something consistent enough to show a trend.  I certainly don't think you would need a fancy "titrator".  Any amount of data would be better than the zero amount we have now.  We don't change tires that way - go X miles and change, no matter what!  We measure the tread - real data.