Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

towing with a tow dolly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationToledo
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:cmax sel

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

Want to tow our 2013 c max on a tow dolly (2 wheels up). Read horror stories on towing 4 down. Anyone have experience using a dolly?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jmckinley

jmckinley

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSouth West Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL, Mazda Miata, Chrysler Town & Country MiniVan, Damon Daybreak MotorHome, Suzuki V Strom

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

I've towed mine four down for nearly 10,000 miles.  No problems, approved by Ford, procedure shown in your Owner's Manual.  Charge line absolutely necessary to keep battery from discharging, however.  Otherwise nothing special required.

#3 OFFLINE   klefever

klefever

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFairbanks, AK
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

John,  I connect a "Toad-Charge"  Towed Vehicle Battery Charger & Maintainer kit from LSL products and although the lights all read that it should be working properly the last time I towed I still had a dead battery after towing for only 3.5 hours.  Can you explain how you connected your charge line or what product you bought?  I tried asking LSL Products about what I might have done wrong and no reply and I'm getting ready to move again and I don't need another dead battery at the end of the towing day.  Thanks, Kevin

#4 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've towed mine four down for nearly 10,000 miles.  No problems, approved by Ford, procedure shown in your Owner's Manual.  Charge line absolutely necessary to keep battery from discharging, however.  Otherwise nothing special required.

The manual says to keep the ignition in the "off" position. That should use up zero battery. Do you somehow leave the vehicle in the accessory position instead?

From the 2014 manual:

If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the transmission in position N.
• Place the ignition in the off position. See Starting and Stopping the Engine (page 124).
• Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
• Place the transmission in position P, start the vehicle and allow it to run for one minute at the beginning of each day (you may need to press the accelerator pedal in order to start the
vehicle). After allowing the vehicle to run, place the transmission back into position N and the ignition in the accessory position.

Edited by stevedebi, 05 November 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

I dont understand why Ford says it's okay to tow with four wheels on the ground, but it is not okay to tow with two on the ground, even if the two wheels are the back wheels. Any idea why?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·