Extended warranties

ronnnald

First, in your opinion are the extended warranties worth the price for this car? I have never owned a Ford before, and honestly given their reputation on reliability I might feel better with a longer warranty. So if I purchase a used Cmax with 30,000 miles on it, is it possible to purchase an extended warranty? Also Is it possible to purchase the warranty from a dealership located elsewhere, such as in another state if they have a better price? Last, are there different warranties that have different terms? Which would offer the best value for a Cmax?

You can buy anywhere even online.  Anyone will take your money, this is AMERICA!   ;)   Just make sure they specifically cover hybrid specific powertains and additional systems.  The longer you wait (more miles) the higher the prices usually get just like life insurance which is what these really are.

Here's the link to Ford:  http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage

GOOD LUCK! 

First, in your opinion are the extended warranties worth the price for this car? It depends on your risk tolerance.  Generally, no warranty is worth the price as the dealer, administrator, and guarantor must make a profit on extended warranties.   So, the likelihood of one ever getting back the cost of the warranty is small.

I have never owned a Ford before, and honestly given their reputation on reliability I might feel better with a longer warranty. See below as what Ford new car warranty covers with respect to hybrid components.  

So if I purchase a used Cmax with 30,000 miles on it, is it possible to purchase an extended warranty? YES

Also Is it possible to purchase the warranty from a dealership located elsewhere, such as in another state if they have a better price? YES, IIRC Flood Ford has good prices on Ford extended plans.

Last, are there different warranties that have different terms? YES

Which would offer the best value for a Cmax?  Only you can pick the one that gives you the most peace of mind for the price, years, miles, and covered items.

The Ford Warranty covers the hybrid components for 8 yrs / 100 k miles (longer in CA). See below for Hybrid components covered.  Major emission systems are covered for 8 /80 k miles (see below).  The rest of the Power Train is covered for 5/60.  So, if one is buying an extended warranty because of the new hybrid technology, it's already covered for 100 k miles.

Hybrid Component Ford Warranty:

The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage

period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission,
Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, high-voltage
battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid
Battery Pack Sensor Module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module
(BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger.

Federal Major Emissions
8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic
converters, electronic emissions control unit, and onboard emissions
diagnostic devices, including the Battery Energy Control Module
(BECM).

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Anderson & Koch Ford sells the Ford plans for a cheap price like Flood Ford. (http://andersonandkochford.com/)

Flood Ford's website is: https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Prices go up if your car has been owned for more than 1 year or has more than a certain miles threshhold regardless of how long you've owned it.

The hybrid components are already covered for 8 yrs/100k miles (10/150 in CARB states) and the powertrain is covered for 5/60k. Basically the extended warranty (depending on length) is an extension of your bumper-to-bumper coverage. Your warranty booklet that came with the car when new explains what exactly is covered by the 5/60 powertrain & 8/100 hybrid components warranty.

Edited by hybridbear

I bought the extended b-2-b warranty (7Y-84k) for $1800 because it extended the PowerTrain by 2 yr to match the hybrid battery & CVT. It then covers everything else by 4 yr. I looked at it as paying expensive repairs upfront rather than later after inflation is factored in. I also bought Dings & Dents, as well as PPlate Exterior/Interior, warranty in case I want to sell & get the latest hybrid/tech car available in 5 yr. Having said that, however, I do understand that it is expensive insurance after all.

Edited by MomsHugs

The other question is, where to buy a warranty.  Third party warranty (non-Ford) has significant risks - such as - will the company be in business 3 or 4 years from now.  Does it really cover everything you need covered?  E.g., it might replace an AC compressor but will it pay for the back flush and other maintenance services that should be done?  I suspect most third party warranties don't cover the electric hybred components and if the warranty can claim your problems resulted from the hybrid parts, they may walk away from the warranty.  What limitations are imposed in the warranty. 

Years ago, I belonged to a fleet of vans and we found that extended warranties didn't compensate enough to make it worth the cost.  Investing in frequent maintenance was a better deal than extended warranties.  We would replace all fluids, make all mechanical adjustments at 15K miles.  So, it might be a better investment to replace your fluids and other items that wear out more frequently than the maintenace schedule requires.

I don't know the particulars, but this looks like a back door to an 'extended warranty'.  This dealer has 5 'Certified Pre-owned' 2013 C-Max SELs; each with this 'extended warranty' feature - one with about 12k, and four with 25-30 k miles. (Dealer 'add-on' or from Ford ???)  These are either lease returns, former rentals, or trade-ins, and may even be brought in from other dealers.  I believe that this dealer sells quite a few C-Maxes, but not at a discount.  The last used one I saw there was 25-26k for an SEL.  They feature E vehicles and had 16 2014 C-Max Hybrids or Energys (rough lot count).  

Regardless the year or newness, all buyers should consider leveraging their buying position to negotiate the best EW they can at the lowest price possible.

(and remember, as P3G noted so well above, they are primarily for peace of mind, and not intended to 'pay for themselves' in repairs (and rarely do, but you never know). 

post-328-0-92824400-1410799386_thumb.jpg

post-328-0-15571300-1410799430_thumb.jpg

Edited by C-MaxSea