All all Energi owners... blase'?

I'd use another word but I don't want to offend anyone.

So today I park at Publix to do our weekly shopping and as I'm picking out a spot I notice a car that looks amazingly similar to mine and as I drive past, sure enough, it's a C-Max in Ice Storm so I HAVE to park next to it:

The%20Twins.jpg

When I get out I notice it has a higher trim package, and it's an Energi model.  It's also got a scan code on the left side to get into one of the gated communities we all (mostly) live in around here, but I'm positive this is the one my friend spotted at Plantation down the road, at the courts that I *don't* play at.

While I'm admiring this another guy comes up and asks me about my car and is all excited about the C-Max and goes to admire it and notes that it has more headroom than the Prius and I talk about how it handles better, etc. and while we are talking the Energi owner walks right past us and starts to open his back and put his one bag of groceries in to leave. 

So I stop him and tell him how I own the car next to him and... he seems remarkably unimpressed.  Indeed, I can tell I'm wasting his time, he doesn't want to engage at all.  I ask him if he LIKES his Energi and he says, "yeah, it gets 70 mpg" but all in a way that just means "It's too much to bother to talk with you".  I tell him about the forum and he acts as if perhaps he'll check it out (but he won't which is why I'm safe in posting this).

So we had a LOT in common and he didn't care at all.  I realize everyone is different but I sure hope I never get as old as this guy (who seemed about 50 years older than me, which is impossible -- in point of fact I'm probably older than he was.  I just don't act it).

Sigh.  At least the guy who DIDN'T own a C-Max was interested in talking about it.

Oh, I wasn't trying to offend anyone.  Just trying to figure out what was going on -- and maybe an Energi owner would drop in here and tell me *I* was being silly.

Or maybe, just maybe, when you get 70+ mpg you really don't need to talk about it (I don't know -- perhaps when you get that much mpg you get rather bored and above it all.  I could see that -- me as silly "wow I got 44 mpg average" being just a little too excited.  I really would like to get that kind of perspective).

The same thing happens to me, but I have only talked to Hybrid version owners. Just the other day, I pulled up along side of a C-MAX (my twin in all respects but the Pano Roof) while going down the roadway, and I gave a big, cheerful wave to the other driver. She looked at me like I was a bad guy eyeing a potential victim.

I've talked to other unenthusiastic owners, too. They had no complaints, but they didn't even know their lifetime numbers or how to find this kind of information. To people like this, the C-MAX is just a car.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

I've had a few people stop to talk to me about my Energi, and heck yes, if another C-Max owner, even if they "only" had the hybrid version, wanted to talk, I would allocate an hour or so to it..

I always park next to the same model if I can in parking lots. The more, the merrier!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I'd use another word but I don't want to offend anyone.

So today I park at Publix to do our weekly shopping and as I'm picking out a spot I notice a car that looks amazingly similar to mine and as I drive past, sure enough, it's a C-Max in Ice Storm so I HAVE to park next to it:

The%20Twins.jpg

When I get out I notice it has a higher trim package, and it's an Energi model.  It's also got a scan code on the left side to get into one of the gated communities we all (mostly) live in around here, but I'm positive this is the one my friend spotted at Plantation down the road, at the courts that I *don't* play at.

While I'm admiring this another guy comes up and asks me about my car and is all excited about the C-Max and goes to admire it and notes that it has more headroom than the Prius and I talk about how it handles better, etc. and while we are talking the Energi owner walks right past us and starts to open his back and put his one bag of groceries in to leave. 

So I stop him and tell him how I own the car next to him and... he seems remarkably unimpressed.  Indeed, I can tell I'm wasting his time, he doesn't want to engage at all.  I ask him if he LIKES his Energi and he says, "yeah, it gets 70 mpg" but all in a way that just means "It's too much to bother to talk with you".  I tell him about the forum and he acts as if perhaps he'll check it out (but he won't which is why I'm safe in posting this).

So we had a LOT in common and he didn't care at all.  I realize everyone is different but I sure hope I never get as old as this guy (who seemed about 50 years older than me, which is impossible -- in point of fact I'm probably older than he was.  I just don't act it).

Sigh.  At least the guy who DIDN'T own a C-Max was interested in talking about it.

I have found here locally the same thing.  Owners are not open to making small conversation about their CMax.  Seems most just think of it as a way to get around more efficiently.  I come from a background of unique previous cars and being in car clubs and car shows.  I love to compare and make talk with other enthusiast's.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I was starting to feel like there was something wrong in me wanting to talk to another C-Max owner (or even, worse, that we "hybrid" owners weren't good enough for the Energi ones to talk to).

Look, almost any other vehicle I've owned I haven't felt a need to talk to like-minded owners.  But the C-Max IS a special case, and it isn't as if everyone is driving one around here were I live (this is first one I've seen outside of mine).  So I got a little excited and thought it would be a nice shared experience.  But that's okay -- we all get different things out of our purchases, even if shared experiences isn't always one of them.

Yes, Kellytoon's.  You're being silly. Some people just don't care about being one of the club.

I wouldn't go to a C-Max gathering, but I do like hanging out on the C-Max's forums.

I'm to busy to spend the time elsewhere. I have Mt. Bike riding to do as well as motorcycle riding and making

money fixing cars ;)  I enjoy talking to others about our cars and would never be a prude to anyone :victory:

Theres more CMaxs now. Infact, there is one SEL in the same parking lot as me, this "she" works for the same company - gets there before I do and still there when I leave. No big deal, move on.

I see more CMax on the road, none of the drivers bother - waving? Sssh....you a weirdo?

...but I have yet to converse with another actual CMax owner. I did converse with a couple thinking about buying a CMax at the golf range .

Anyway, I'll mind my own business and ramp up my MPGs in my wee little car...& if someone wants to talk CMax with me, I'm cool with that, if not, I'll EV along....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I am sure that everyone on here has a real passion for this car and wants to meet others that have a C-Max including myself.  I experienced the same thing for the Scion xB.  At first some people were excited to see others driving by with the same car.  A bunch would wave as I went by but as time went on and more were on the road this faded out.  I can tell when I drive by someone who has a passion for the car but most just see it as a car and don't care about seeing another one on the road.   

Look, almost any other vehicle I've owned I haven't felt a need to talk to like-minded owners.

I've never been a car enthusiast. Sure, I've enjoyed many of my previous vehicles, but no more than enjoying a comfortable chair. The C-MAX changed all of that, as far as I am concerned. I call my C-MAX a computer on wheels, and I love tech toys.

I agree.  There are some that feel passionate about this car.  I am interested in knowing more about it, but there is nothing close to passion between me and my C-Max.  I used to own a MINI Cooper S, and that was a whole different story.  The passion within that community is legendary.  I think that's the difference.  Most people (including myself to be frank) view this car as an appliance only.  It delivers exactly what I want it to - great gas mileage with above average utility - but really that's it.  I like seeing more on the road because I think the Prius is such an ugly car, and I really like the recent Ford styling, but when I went to the dealership, I was going to buy a Fiesta ST, and somehow my practicality won over and I ended up with this.  I'm satisfied, but I won't lie, when I'm driving up a canyon road, I question my decision.

I doubt if I will ever be as passionate about this car as I still am for my 10 year old Truck! Modifying my Truck became a hobby for me which is still a work in progress. My Wife is happy

with her Cmax and thats all that really matters!! :rockon:

Reluctantly, I concur.  But for me, it's a 1985 GMC Vandura camper.  It's a canvas in progress compared to the signed, matted, and framed C-max.

Passion?  The C-max is a great, economical car.  Love the SEL leather interior.  Great to drive.  But there isn't anything I can do to it!!     Fog lights are already there.  Accessories?!  Woo hoo--floor mats and a trunk organizer!  I can barely contain my enthusiasm!     Tuning?  Performance upgrades?  You've got the wrong car, mate.

When I had a VW bus, I loved VW shows, swap meets, all that stuff.  But a C-max owners gathering?