C-Max using Focus Sport Suspension

I was doing some research and found that the C-Max is based on the Focus platform. In my experience just about every car that shares a platform also shares suspension components i.e. Sway bars, shocks, springs, etc... Does anyone know how our factory equipped suspension compares the the Focus' performance suspension (Not the ST but the upgraded suspension package for the non-ST Focus). I'm sure that our rear springs are much stiffer then The Focus' because of our 300lb battery in the rear. But all the other components, namely the sway bars and front suspension may be much better for handling on our NRGs. 

(Recently posted to Energi Forum but it seems the hybrid forum is more active.)

Any thoughts? 

• 2 months later...

I hadn't found the car all that bad handling, and it sits pretty low as it is.... if anything the LRR tires are really holding it back. 

I agree with this, but now having the opportunity to drive both back to back (I now own a 2014 Ford Focus Electric), The focus handles MUCH better.  I think this is mostly due to the focus being lower overall and the driver sitting much lower.  I can comfortably take corners at a much higher speed in the focus than in the CMax.

Of course both cars could have the same cornering ability, but the higher stance in the CMax alerts my internal "oh CRAP" meter much sooner than in the focus. :shift:

• 2 weeks later...

Ford cars in general tend to have overly soft suspensions in front and insufficient wheel travel in back, and it has ever been thus. In the C-Max, it's the soft front that bugs--you really have to slow down for dips. Progressive springs and/or progressive shocks that really stiffen up as they approach full compression might help. Apparently Koni FSD shocks--the not-so-poor man's alternative to active suspension--are available for the C-Max in Europe. I'd love to try those, but they're probably tuned for different weight distribution--i.e. a heavy turbodiesel lump in the front and nothing much in back, instead of a relatively light gas engine in front and a heavy battery pack in the back.

Ford cars in general tend to have overly soft suspensions in front and insufficient wheel travel in back, and it has ever been thus. In the C-Max, it's the soft front that bugs--you really have to slow down for dips. Progressive springs and/or progressive shocks that really stiffen up as they approach full compression might help. Apparently Koni FSD shocks--the not-so-poor man's alternative to active suspension--are available for the C-Max in Europe. I'd love to try those, but they're probably tuned for different weight distribution--i.e. a heavy turbodiesel lump in the front and nothing much in back, instead of a relatively light gas engine in front and a heavy battery pack in the back.

I'm not sure that our front end is that light with Electric Motor/Generator in the front too. :)

Paul

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but if you guys are still active and are still curious, yes you can use focus suspension. Here’s my 2014 with Godspeed coilovers for a focus of equivalent year. Wheels are Konig ampliform. The rear springs are adjusted as high as they go unfortunately due to the low spring rate. I’m currently talking with Godspeed to see if they offer a stiffer spring for the rear so I can raise it up in winter. 

1E862A7C-5D0B-4B4D-B666-CA1823A928AE.jpeg

A9933E1B-326D-4A00-AA45-CD83E10337D4.jpeg

Edited by Mixxer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just put godspeeds on my 2013, stock wheels/tires. Naturally the front sits exactly like your car, and the rear is a bit too low. I'm told that I have 4" of threading left in the rear, but they didn't want to raise the car any higher for fear of it not being safe for the tubing (like it'd collapse or something). Next week I'm taking it to a performance shop for an alignment, they will probably sort that out for me.

• 2 months later...

And officially the spring rates are too frigging high. My car handles great in the corners, but anything but a glass smooth ride turns my kidneys to hamburger meat. Eibach produces all kinds of spring that will fit, but I need to find the stock spring rate and decide where in the middle I want to meet. I'm considering 15% stiffer than stock, once I locate those figures.