Mid Cycle Refresh & Concepts

Treptower

I've been playing around in my mind what I would like to see in the mid cycle refresh for my beloved C-Max Hybrid. I've thrown together some "concept" ideas for new headlights (a la the Fusion) and a comically large front grill (just playing around). 

The C-Max could do with a little more aggressive front facia, imo. The 2013 Fusion Hybrid does a good job of this. Photoshopped some Fusion headlights and hood lines onto a C-Max but it doesn't look quite right.

Apparently the 2015 C-Max refresh is going to be announced at the 2014 Paris Autoshow, Ford has released a teaser photo (seen below). items of note the head lights are now more angular similar to the taped concepts I played with and reflective of the Fusion. Also you can see by the way the sheet drapes over the front of the vehicle that the aston martin grill of the fusion is present but the mini grill the the 2013 & 2014 C-Max has is no longer there. I would say Ford is consolidating their profiles to fall inline with the Fiesta and Fusions.

I'm excited by these updates, hopefully it resonates with potential buyers. 

post-1340-0-24465300-1410869294_thumb.jpg

post-1340-0-64711900-1410869420_thumb.jpg

post-1340-0-08052800-1410869585_thumb.jpg

post-1340-0-38368000-1410869596_thumb.jpg

post-1340-0-49695800-1410869892_thumb.jpg

I'm 99% certain that the North American 2015 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi models WILL NOT be among the 2015 C-MAX models introduced in Paris.

Some version of those updates will eventually get to North America, maybe for the 2016 model year, but LIKELY NOT for the 2015 North American Hybrid and Energi's that began production yesterday.

The major change between North American 2014 and 2015 C-MAX models will be the deletion of two colors (Ice Storm Metallic and Sterling Gray Metallic) and the addition of two colors, (Techtonic Silver Metallic and Magnetic Metallic).

Based on what I've seen for the 2014 vs 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Monroney stickers, Ford COULD increase the 2015 C-MAX EPA MPG ratings one or two miles per gallon, but given that Ford mailed two rounds of customer satisfaction checks for the EPA ratings downgrades, Ford might just be content to delight many new owners (excluding of course, certain consumer test magazine hacks) who will find it possible to meet or exceed the EPA ratings numbers.

That's a good point, as this has always been an EU market first vehicle.  Is there a big difference between the US hybrid models and the non-hybrid models in Europe?  I know the C-Max has been in the EU for a very long time, and they have different models with gas only/diesel/7-seat versions, but I don't know if there is much different in the body styles and interiors other than the hybrid specific changes.

It's always interesting to compare and contrast the models, trim levels, and powertrain options available elsewhere.

It's also fascinating to see what colors are offered, and which ones are 'premium' colors. The same brown metallic paint is 1200 Euros extra in the Netherlands, only 725 Euros extra in Belgium, but only 525 pounds in the UK.

Many countries also offer the Grand C-MAX models with sliding rear doors and 7-passenger capacity.

US (C-MAX Hybrid - 2 trim levels; C-MAX Energi - 1 trim level) http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/trim/hybridsel/?fmccmp=lp--mid-hp-c-max

Canada (Ditto) http://www.ford.ca/hybrids/cmax/

UK (3 trim levels, up to 6 engine/transmission options, obviously ALL right-hand drive) http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/C-MAX/Models

HINT: These additional Ford sites use the same layout as the UK site, so they work pretty much the same, the primary difference is the language. If you took another language in high school or college, you can likely figure out how to navigate at least one of the following sites.

Germany (6 trim levels, up to 12 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle/FordC-MAX/Ausstattungsvarianten

France (2 trim levels, up to 5 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.fr/Vehicule_Particulier/CMAX/Modeles

Spain (3 trim levels, up to 5 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.es/Turismos/C-MAX_y_Grand_C-MAX/Modelos

Netherlands (5 trim levels, up to 5 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.nl/Personenautos/CMAX/Modellen

Belgium-Dutch language (4 trim levels, up to 6 engine/transmission options) http://www.nl.ford.be/Personenwagens/C-MAX/Modellen

Belgium-French language (Ditto) http://www.fr.ford.be/VehiculesParticuliers/C-MAX/Gamme

Italy (2 trim levels, up to 9 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.it/Auto/C-MAX/ConfrontaVersioni

Poland (4 trim levels, up to 13 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.pl/Samochody_osobowe/Nowy_C-MAX/Models

Greece (2 trim levels, up to 3 engine/transmission options) http://www.ford.gr/Cars/C-MAX/Models

There are others, but I got tired of clicking...

Edited by kostby

Here are several photos of the 'made over' C-Max:

Noticed several things I would like to see transfered over stateside, including what looks like rear seat flip trays, 3 independent, folding rear seats. Oh, and that cargo room! ;) I like the rims on the euro version better as well.

Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-

Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-Ford-C-Max-Facelift-Paris-2014-1200x800-

Edited by bro1999

Nice to see 'into the future' somewhat by simply gazing across the pond !

Creature comforts in the back, better headlamps, sleeker fogs, and thankfully losing the buckteeth in the front (our poor hood alignment). Looks very good to me - they seem to be addressing key elements. Hope these improvements filter in to our 2016,17,18 versions.  (wishful thinking?)

I noticed that at least some of those trim levels above come with power front seats - plural.

Vive le C-Max !!!

Nick

(perfectly happy with what we have now though)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I'm not sure what you mean dead pedal?  You referring to gas  pedal being controlled by wire instead of mechanical linkage. :)

Paul

I am talking about that stupid foot rest for the left foot of the driver. Open up that whole area, just like for the passenger side, I say! :rant2: It becomes downright painful to keep my leg propped up for long drives, and I can't comfortably put that leg around it's edge.

So let me get this straight. The European version of the 2015 C-Max is getting a significant refresh, but the 2015 North American version is going to be (except for two new colors) exactly the same as before, despite sharply declining sales. And even with those sharply declining sales, it will still only be available as an expensive hybrid here, instead of having any of those delectable engine choices that the Euro's have, not to mention the availability of a manual transmission as well.

It sure would be nice if Ford would pay more attention to this vehicle here in N.A., instead of just mailing out checks to appease current owners. The marketing effort on the C-Max seems almost non-existent (a joke really). My local dealers consider it an orphan vehicle, with only a token few on the lot for a prospective buyer to consider. My dealer has 3. They have 168 F-150's, 73 Fusions, and 54 Escapes.. so it's not too hard to figure out where that dealer will be putting it's efforts.

Edited by maxed-out

So let me get this straight. The European version of the 2015 C-Max is getting a significant refresh, but the 2015 North American version is going to be (except for two new colors) exactly the same as before, despite sharply declining sales. And even with those sharply declining sales, it will still only be available as an expensive hybrid here, instead of having any of those delectable engine choices that the Euro's have, not to mention the availability of a manual transmission as well.

It sure would be nice if Ford would pay more attention to this vehicle here in N.A., instead of just mailing out checks to appease current owners. The marketing effort on the C-Max seems almost non-existent (a joke really). Local dealers consider it an orphan vehicle, with virtually none on the lot for a prospective buyer to consider. My local dealer has 3. They have 168 F-150's, 73 Fusions, and 54 Escapes. Not too hard to figure out where that dealer will be putting it's efforts. I have been down this road before with Ford Motor on a vehicle I purchased in 2005. The only difference was.. at that time they weren't mailing out checks to try to keep owners happy. They simply pulled the rug out from underneath the vehicle, ceased production, and then pretended that it never existed, with zero support for those of us who had purchased. (The lucky ones were those who had leased.) As enthusiastic as I am about the C-max, I have taken it off my list of vehicles I am considering for purchase. The situation just seems all too familiar to me. 

You've obviously decided the current Ford C-MAX is not an option for you. Happy hunting!

Why are you still wasting your time posting misinformation here?

1. C-MAX has been produced in Germany since 2003, beginning as the Focus C-MAX, and the 2015 refresh is the third distinct generation for Europe. To my knowledge, there are no hybrids in production anywhere with a manual transmission.

2. North American C-MAX Hybrids are entering the third model year of what is typically a five-year-or-longer refresh cycle.

3. Dealerships stock what sells best, no mystery there. One in five new vehicles sold in Texas is a truck. Texas is the largest truck market in the US, and more large pickups were sold in Texas than the next three markets combined (California, Oklahoma, and Florida). Across the US, Ford sells well over 600,000 F-150's annually, MORE THAN ONE EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY, making F150 the best selling vehicle in United States for more than 30 years running. There are 10 distinct F-150 model designations plus 4WD and powertrain options. There are 8 distinct models of Fusion, including Hybrid and Energi variants. There are 3 models of Escape, plus FWD and AWD variants. There are 3 models of C-MAX: SE Hybrid, SEL Hybrid, and Plug-in Hybrid Energi SEL, with one shared powertrain, so a dealer only needs to stock 3 to offer the full range of C-MAX models. The internet makes it easy for dealers (and consumers) to quickly locate specific vehicles with the exact color and equipment group desired.

4, C-MAX Hybrid sales have been trending upward since January 2014, even without regional or national advertising, and are now about the same level as May 2013.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3733-ford-c-max-monthly-sales-chart/page-3

5. Dealership salespeople are paid to meet the public and to sell, not to study manuals and to teach. They are often ill-informed about the newest models and the latest technologies, unless they take personal time away-from-work to learn about "the latest thing". Simple word-of-mouth, and owner-enthusiast sites like this one have encouraged many people to come here, ask questions, find answers, test drive and eventually purchase or lease C-MAX Hybrids.

6. Ford has two internet liaisons, Rebecca, and Crystal, who are active in this forum to provide assistance to C-MAX owners having problems. 

7. Ford is once again advertising the C-MAX regionally and nationally in television commercials. IMO that's a sign of confidence.

8. If Ford really wanted to 'pull the rug out' from under the C-MAX Hybrid, there not be any 2015 models produced. The same Wayne Michigan Ford plant already builds Focus, Focus Electric, and Fusion Hybrids, so Ford could switch production to other, better-selling models.

9. Your Ford Freestyle was introduced as a 2005 model and featured a CVT. It was renamed Taurus X after Alan Mulally became president in 2006, and was appalled that Ford marketing had abandoned 20 years of the familiar Taurus nameplate in favor of a series of 'F' names: Ford Five Hundred and Ford Freestyle. A 7-passenger replacement for the Ford Taurus Wagon, it competed directly against the Edge and the restyled Ford Explorer. It was renamed Taurus-X in 2007 for the 2008 model year and production continued, without the CVT, through February 11, 2009. There were 5 model years of production. That's hardly 'pulling out the rug'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus_X 

10. It only takes one bad experience to convince people that a company is evil, their leaders are evil, their products are evil, and that none of those things can ever change. One bad dealer experience does not mean all dealers are bad. Companies change and dealerships change as leaders and cultures evolve, salespeople come and go, global economies rise and fall, and our personal priorities change. For my family, we purchase just one car per decade, so we choose to examine vehicles from many manufacturers and many models, non-hybrid as well as hybrid. Then we selected the best choice, meeting the most of our needs the best, and within our price range. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by kostby

Even if they discontinue the C-MAX at some point, the technological leap forward will go on and apply to other models. To me, that is not the end of it but rather the evolution of what was in the C-MAX. I can certainly live with that.

Those of us in this group are okay with being trendsetters, LOL. We get the advantage of being able to use all of the new things before they become commonplace across the industry.

I especially agree with "Dealership salespeople are paid to meet the public and to sell, not to study manuals and to teach. They are often ill-informed about the newest models and the latest technologies..." If I would have decided my purchase based upon my first dealer experience with the C-MAX, I would probably be driving something else. I already knew way more about the vehicle than did my sales representative. When I asked a question, and I am not kidding about this, he went to a computer, printed out the sales materials that Ford provides for training sales people on the C-MAX, and handed it to me. He told me to teach him about it when I pick up the car.

Kostby #18

With regard to your lengthy rebuttal, I really don't think there was any "misinformation" in my contribution. Through August, C-Max sales are 23.5% below same time last year. If anything, you are the one trying to mislead about that. But mostly, I was simply lamenting the fact that the 2015 C-Max will continue to be offered here only as a hybrid vehicle, and without any of the considerable enhancements that will be present in the same vehicle across the pond, not to mention their wonderful engine choices. If I am considering a C-Max for purchase here, it matters little to me how many engine choices there are for the F-150.

Btw.. I have never, not even once, seen any commercial on television that featured the C-Max. I do know however, that "it's truck-month at your local Ford Dealer", as it seems to be every month of the year.

Edited by maxed-out

Even if they discontinue the C-MAX at some point, the technological leap forward will go on and apply to other models. To me, that is not the end of it but rather the evolution of what was in the C-MAX. I can certainly live with that.

Those of us in this group are okay with being trendsetters, LOL. We get the advantage of being able to use all of the new things before they become commonplace across the industry.

I especially agree with "Dealership salespeople are paid to meet the public and to sell, not to study manuals and to teach. They are often ill-informed about the newest models and the latest technologies..." If I would have decided my purchase based upon my first dealer experience with the C-MAX, I would probably be driving something else. I already knew way more about the vehicle than did my sales representative. When I asked a question, and I am not kidding about this, he went to a computer, printed out the sales materials that Ford provides for training sales people on the C-MAX, and handed it to me. He told me to teach him about it when I pick up the car.

I think most of us had the same experience. The reality is that this FORUM is the best resource for learning about Hybrid's and CMAX's specifically of any resource out there. IMHO I have seen a couple of CMAX commercials recently, apparently you have to watch the right channel. :)

BTW  My youngest daughter has a FreeStyle with around 140K miles on it and I'm sure she will put 200K before she gets something else. BTW I helped her change her front brakes for the second time last week. She does most of the simple stuff like oil and filter change and plugs and wires.

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Great post kostby, just a small correction.  The Wayne Michigan Ford plant only produces the C-Max and Focus variants.  The Fusion is built in Flat Rock Assembly.

I've slowly started to hear C-Max advertisements on the radio but they now only mention "total system horsepower."  No mention of fuel mileage.  Ford probably doesn't want to remind anyone of the MPG rating fiasco.

Great post kostby, just a small correction.  The Wayne Michigan Ford plant only produces the C-Max and Focus variants.  The Fusion is built in Flat Rock Assembly.

I've slowly started to hear C-Max advertisements on the radio but they now only mention "total system horsepower."  No mention of fuel mileage.  Ford probably doesn't want to remind anyone of the MPG rating fiasco.

I thought the Fusion was made in Mexico. :)

Paul