Recall 14E02

boilermax

My wife took Max to the dealer when the airbag light came on.  They're replacing the airbag control module.

While there, the advisor told her that a power train recall would be done, too.  I looked on the ETIS site and found this:  

14E02 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING

Does anyone know anything about this recall?

I found the below on the Fusion Hybrid forum:

REASON FOR THIS EMISSION RECALL

In some of the affected vehicles, the On-board Diagnostic (OBD-II) system may be inhibited when Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P24BC is set by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When DTC P24BC is set, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate to alert the driver of a potential impact to vehicle emission control systems.

Thanks jeff_h.  If that's the same reason for the C-Max then I won't worry too much.  I was concerned that a power train reprogramming may impact mileage - perhaps negatively.

Right now I'm very happy with my mileage.  I just got back from a trip from Raleigh to DC and back where I averaged 45 mpg on I-85 and I-95.

I had the recent 14E02 PCM regrogramming done yesterday during the oil change service and a recall reprogramming restraint module.  Did not know what was it for until read the above.  It look like it has no impact on the mileage.  However, I noticed after the update, when the key in the accessary mode, the orange engine icon light was on like it usually does, and the after a second or two it flashes repeatedly 7 times, and after those flashing it stops.  I did not notice this flashing 7 times before the recent update.

Do those engine light flashes mean anything?

• 1 month later...

is it just me or is Ford giving anyone else the run-a-round about this control module recall? when it came out I asked the dealership and was told the fix was not due out until the 3rd quarter of 2015... yet reading some of these posts as well as additional owner info it seems that many of these control modules have already been replaced? why would it be a year for me, but many others are getting fixed right away??? I heard they said the ones in the "higher humidity" climates they are getting done first but come on a year to wait for a recall fix "unless something happens".. bunch of crap...

is it just me or is Ford giving anyone else the run-a-round about this control module recall? when it came out I asked the dealership and was told the fix was not due out until the 3rd quarter of 2015... yet reading some of these posts as well as additional owner info it seems that many of these control modules have already been replaced? why would it be a year for me, but many others are getting fixed right away??? I heard they said the ones in the "higher humidity" climates they are getting done first but come on a year to wait for a recall fix "unless something happens".. bunch of crap...

Recall 14E02 involves reprogramming the PCM only, and can currently be performed by your dealer.  The recall you are referring to above is another recall (14S21) that replaces the Restraints Control Module hardware (see below link):   http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4380-recall-14s21-restraint-control-module/?hl=%2Brestraint+%2Bcontrol+%2Bmodule  

As mentioned in above link, RCM availability is limited at the moment. 14S21 states dealers are to immediately replace RCM's for vehicles that exhibit airbag light fault only...other's that do not have airbag light fault will have to wait until mid 2015 once more modules are available.

Edited by Zathrus

I'm going in next week for my first oil change (11,000 miles (4,800 ICE) - 22 months - no maintenance message) and to have three recalls taken care of:

14S04 - REPROGRAM RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE

14E02 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING

14S21 - RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT

My SR didn't say anything about not having the module in stock. More Wednesday afternoon!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Well, we had the three recalls done today, or rather tried to. They did two involving the re-programming but sure enough they did not do the module replacement as the module had to be ordered. My service guy could not tell me how long it would take to get it, but it's rather irritating that another trip/day will be required to finish the repair.

Well, we had the three recalls done today, or rather tried to. They did two involving the re-programming but sure enough they did not do the module replacement as the module had to be ordered. My service guy could not tell me how long it would take to get it, but it's rather irritating that another trip/day will be required to finish the repair.

It shouldn't be. Ford said in the letters they sent to owners that you should not take your car in for the 14S21 recall unless the airbag light is on. There is currently a limited supply of parts and they'll notify owners when parts are available for all cars. For now the only cars that get repaired are ones with the airbag light on.

I missed that statement in the recall letter but it probably wouldn't have changed our service as it was time for an oil change and there were two other recall items to be taken care of. But knowing that would have prevented the surprise over them not having the part.

BTW, the re-programming reset my "frequent destinations" locations. Going to do the 12 on-off dance in the garage for the one that matters.

• 4 weeks later...

This was in my email box today.

In addition, your vehicle is also involved in an Emissions Recall.

Program Number:  14E02

Part Name:   Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming

Under certain conditions, emission-related monitors on your vehicle may be disabled without illuminating the “service engine soon” indicator lamp to warn you of an emission control malfunction.

Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 14E02.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

This was in my email box today.

In addition, your vehicle is also involved in an Emissions Recall.

Program Number:  14E02

Part Name:   Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming

Under certain conditions, emission-related monitors on your vehicle may be disabled without illuminating the “service engine soon” indicator lamp to warn you of an emission control malfunction.

Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Recall 14E02.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Maxismad,

Don’t hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues if you ever have any questions or need assistance with the recall listed. They’ll be happy to lend a hand! You can contact them here.   ;)

I have received multiple letters to make arrangements to bring Maxus in for service on safety recalls 14S21 and 14S04.  I'm over due for my latest service, so I'll have to surrender Maxus to the stealership soon ;)

As we say here in Texas, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I share your delay pattern and trepidation.

Hey guys,

Ford Motor Company will repair those vehicles specifically mentioned in a recall announcement and programs are VIN specific. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail. Should you receive a letter, we suggest you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. All recall and customer satisfaction program repairs must be completed by an authorized Ford Dealer and will be performed at no charge.

Please keep me posted, and have a wonderful day!  :) 

Tricia