Scheduled Maintenance?

So this morning on my drive to tennis (number one -- I'm playing again in two hours.  Sigh) the MFT shuts down and the amber light is lit on the dash.  I press this button and the word "SYNC" shows up for a bit and then it says "Performing Scheduled Maintenance".  Really?  Progress bar took about two minutes to finish.

Is there a schedule going on here?  WTF was it doing?  One thing is for sure, after it came back my drive (which had been previously indexed and commands set) had to reindex itself all over again (it's a BIG drive so it takes a while).  It also appeared that my EV+ wasn't working (when I came back home it didn't kick in as it always does a few blocks from my house).  

Anyone else have this?  Or have a clue as to what's going on?  If this was one of my computers I'd think it was performing an update (MS LOVES those updates, particularly ones out of your control).  But I thought I had the latest software (yeah, not the latest that's in beta, but the one that everyone else has).  And an update shouldn't lose saved points, of course, although it looks like this one has.

Yeah, but I suspect if it keeps happening it will be one of those "gee, it doesn't do it when WE look at it" sort of problems.  IOW, impossible to fix and/or troubleshoot.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again (and that it isn't related to me plugging in a large USB drive, which I had to do because for some reason it wouldn't read my "normal" USB stick).

We used to get those scheduled maintenance/crashes all the time when we first got our SEL in the Fall of 2012.  After the first servicing it was good for ages.  Now we have the icon off the route more than not.  Will be interesting to see if our dealership fixes this on Monday when I have TIP booked.  I booked a loaner as I got the usual "the recalls will only take less than 1/2 a day" and then when I mentioned the off route icon, I got "well maybe we will need it for the day".  Last time it was 2 days for a basic servicing.  I asked for a Flex loaner again as I loved the Flex loaner I had last time.  And I will get a chance to check out the Lincoln MKC which is on hubby's list.

Tip is a pretty girl isn't she?    But hubby is continuing to cringe over prices of getting more technology.  One thing that he and I argue over is his like of Volvo SUV's.  He has been sold on them since he had a test drive in one where the salesman demonstrated the feature where the car stops if a pedestrian steps in front of the car.

Laurel,  Tip is very, very much a 'looker', and now with that limited edition color, a collectors item.  Those will go for a premium in Seattle very soon - I think Ford discontinued that color too soon, but they have fashion experts making that call.  (((Yes the XC90 is a bit dreamy too, rode in one a few months back.  A not so dreamy, but MPG formidable is the Diesel BluTec 250 from that other brand - definitely not a looker, but very road worthy and very good MPG. Both way too much money and low tech, the crazy things run constantly, very annoying)))  Nick  (We waved to you crossing the border at Aldergrove our last trip to paradise.)  PS  Quit hitting pedestrians - just kidding.

Edited by C-MaxSea

Laurel,  Tip is very, very much a 'looker', and now with that limited edition color, a collectors item.  Those will go for a premium in Seattle very soon - I think Ford discontinued that color too soon, but they have fashion experts making that call.  (((Yes the XC90 is a bit dreamy too, rode in one a few months back.  A not so dreamy, but MPG formidable is the Diesel BluTec 250 from that other brand - definitely not a looker, but very road worthy and very good MPG. Both way too much money and low tech, the crazy things run constantly, very annoying)))  Nick  (We waved to you crossing the border at Aldergrove our last trip to paradise.)  PS  Quit hitting pedestrians - just kidding.

Next time come and see our new house.  We are literally withing walking distance of both Peace Arch and the truck crossing. Forgot to say we have a big guest bedroom in the basement with private entrance and you would be welcome to use it as a home base for sight seeing.

Edited by Laurel

We will indeed have to stop by to check out the new digs, and all of the new plantings.  Our only vacation plans at the moment are jetting off for a week to Sunny CA in Nov.  Have to tell you about our border crossing on the PM side.  Nick (& his manager).

Speaking of scheduled maintenance.  Had a visit to the dealer planned when Grouper 'blew a gasket', tech that is; got the infamous 'blank screen', hmmm, was it the Hawaiian music or the Chinese Erhu - neither it turns out, they diagnosed a dead screen.  They ordered a new screen, called me two days later and viola, new screen - a 45 minute service for a new screen.  Kudos to Pierre Service Department for super service & kudos to Ford for getting the part to Seattle in less than 48 hours.  It may have actually been 24 hours, because I lost a couple calls with a dead cell phone.

((Had another blank screen the other day - forgot my key.   :doh: ))

Edited by C-MaxSea

I dropped Tip off for her recalls this morning, and also requested that they deal with the off route icon issue with the nav. system too.  I got a $20 a day loaner which turned out to be a 2013 SE.  Pretty funny my ineptitude with getting used to a new car that has a key versus keyless entry, no kick feature for the rear hatch, no nav. system, no backup camera.  For the first 5 minutes I was totally flumoxed. LOL.  But I actually like her now.  She drives nicely and is basically the same as Tip.  I did briefly go sit in the Lincoln MKC.  I promptly hit my head getting into it as it just does not have the clearance and head room of the C-Max.  I called hubby and said, "scratch the MKC as I have a headache from whacking my head".  He couldn't believe it was that bad and suggested that I have a swelled head--funny guy.  He will try the MKC when we go pick up Tip.  I'm curious to go sit in the Edge now too. Supposedly they will have my car ready by the end of the day.  We shall see as last time they said that it was two days before I got my car back.

I got Tip back at 3 PM.  Not bad Ford.  The report says they re-programmed the GPS Module so hopefully that fixes the off route situation.  We took an MKC out for a spin (once the seats were adjusted, the head room was okay).  Drives nicely for sure.  Hubby is thinking about whether to trade our Tip in or not.  We shall see.  I do have a question mark about the re-programing as I did not lose any of my favourites so I am wondering if they did re-program the GPS?

Edited by Laurel

I got a $20 a day loaner which turned out to be a 2013 SE.  Pretty funny my ineptitude with getting used to a new car that has a key versus keyless entry, no kick feature for the rear hatch, no nav. system, no backup camera. 

This is why I keep saying to people that are trying to decide which model to buy, that they can easily live without these things, but that they really enhance the driving experience in the long run. Other than the forced leather, I am very happy that I went with the loaded SEL. I very much enjoy all of the little extras, and I use all of them. Okay, I don't use the Park Assist very often, but it's still fun when I do get the chance! :shift:

I got a $20 a day loaner which turned out to be a 2013 SE.  Pretty funny my ineptitude with getting used to a new car that has a key versus keyless entry, no kick feature for the rear hatch, no nav. system, no backup camera. 

This is why I keep saying to people that are trying to decide which model to buy, that they can easily live without these things, but that they really enhance the driving experience in the long run. Other than the forced leather, I am very happy that I went with the loaded SEL. I very much enjoy all of the little extras, and I use all of them. Okay, I don't use the Park Assist very often, but it's still fun when I do get the chance! :shift:

ScubaDadMiami your comments are interesting.  First of all both my husband and I far preferred the non leather seats in the SE  loaner.  We both commented on the comfort and breathability in the material when we had it yesterday and said we would far prefer it over the leather.  It was much cozier feeling than the slick leather.  I don't feel too comfortable about the re-programming of the GPS either.  The service agent wouldn't even write down my comments when he was filling out the work order and I mentioned that he didn't write it down.  I told him that we notice being off route when we program in destinations versus just having the navigation on.  He pooh poohed what I said, and said "oh they will check everything".  Our experience says "I doubt it".  I was torn about making an issue when he wouldn't write down my comments, but I let it pass.  I told my husband next time I would tape a list of my comments inside the car on the dash so the technician would see it.  But I will be peeved if I have to take it back, and I will push for a free loaner if that is the case.

Edited by Laurel

I had never had leather before we got our Durango and I *really* wanted it then.  It was fine in Nevada and even here in Florida but my wife (who never wanted it) convinced me to get the cloth seats in our C-Max and I have to say I do prefer them.

Then again, I wear a lot of shorts and short sleeves and humidity IS an issue here (and coming back from playing tennis the leather seats in Sestra always feel clammy).  While it's a personal choice (and both sides have pros and cons) about the only thing I don't understand about leather seats is why it's assumed it's more "upscale" and therefore the higher end packages come with it standard (and I don't think you can get the power seat options without choosing leather).