Cheap Prius For Sale (LOL)

ScubaDadMiami

Prius Fire

A Prius in my building caught fire, apparently while sitting unattended in its parking space. I came into the garage, smelled smoke, and came around the corner to find this. The fire department was just leaving the scene as I arrived.

It was a Hybrid model, just sitting there. It was not a plug-in.
Edited by ScubaDadMiami

It is possible that I am incorrect about how it started. As I said, I was headed to my car in order to leave for an outing, and I got there after the fire had already been put out. Someone standing there (another bystander that was there before I arrived) made it sound like it was spontaneous.

Clearly, the car was 100 percent inside of the parking space, so I conclude that it didn't happen while being driven, unless it was instantaneous with starting up to leave the spot or at shut down upon arrival at the spot. I asked if the owners knew, and the person that I spoke to made it sound like the owners were found and brought down to the garage. I am just putting 2+2 together, and I could be incorrect. 

Even though we have light hearted 'good humor' with this, it is indeed a problem & headache for someone.  Hope you are able to commiserate Scuba with the unfortunate owner.  In addition, it would be good to follow this up with anything else you might learn from the incident.  I would be curious to know more details, did the sprinkler system in the garage put it out?, was it just the front half?, was it unrelated to the HVB?

Thankfully no one was hurt, and the building did not suffer it would appear.  I think I would want the vehicle out of the garage asap, and worry just a little about re-ignition.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

It might have been vandals tossing a homemade bomb. Could be evidence in an attempted murder of someone targeted in a love triangle or a foreigner that looks Middle Eastern. Could be evidence the owner simply wanted insurance proceeds to replace it with a Ford C-Max! In case you haven't looked real close at my avatar... it represents thinking creatively inside the box.

Still sitting there. I think that the owner tried to go through the vehicle yesterday, because there were a couple of items with burn marks sitting on the roof, which makes me think that they came from within the vehicle, like when someone tries to go through to salvage personal belongings. I am guessing that it will soon be towed away, and that this is why the owner was going through the vehicle.

I finally spoke to the owner. According to him, he left the vehicle with the Valet parker. The Prius was parked, and it was shut down for about 10 minutes before the fire broke out.

The owner told me that he had 120,000 miles on the car, that he drives it every day, and that it had been virtually carefree . . . up to that moment.

I finally spoke to the owner. According to him, he left the vehicle with the Valet parker. The Prius was parked, and it was shut down for about 10 minutes before the fire broke out.

The owner told me that he had 120,000 miles on the car, that he drives it every day, and that it had been virtually carefree . . . up to that moment.

..so now we know his Prius was a secret smoker :drop:

Tell next time, go get a CMax, worst case dead battery don't go up in flames (that we know off).... ;)

Paul,

I agree,  but I'm not sure  what would cause a manufacturer to investigate a fire.  I woudl think it would ultimately be up to the insurance company to determine the cause (if they care) or maybe the local fire chief.  The only reason the insurance company would care  would be to try to assign blame to recoup their money.  IE  if they can figure out it was a manufacturing defect, or the Valet dropped a ciggy or some sort of other reason (fraud).

given the amount of battery juice in hybrids, coupled with the gas tank.  it is a formidable combination...