Dead Battery for the fifth time

darlstuvick

I'll bet Ford finally found a way to mitigate the dead battery issue by reprogramming the PCM and several other modules to perhaps detect "awake" module and perhaps put them to bed so as not to drain the 12 V battery. 

I think you are absolutely right -- that just sounds exactly like the sort of thing that they couldn't pin down and would explain so many cases around here that could not be explained by physical things (like the corroded cables, for example).

If so, that's VERY good news for so many folks.  What we really need now is someone with an issue that could not be resolved that finally is with this.  Hopefully we'll have some volunteers <g>.

Killed battery again twice today.

First time cleaning the trunk door while trunk open for about a half hour.

2nd time, all I did was remain sitting in the car after turning it off (and it had been running in EV Later mode for the previous 20 minutes.

I even opened and closed the door after 5 minutes, thinking that might turn off the DRL, but I'm not sure if they were on for the 20 minutes sitting in the car.....

Decided to purchase replacement battery from dealer the next day, since Ford not including Energi in the CSP.

I'm only hoping that my VIN will someday be added to the CSP so I can apply/submit receipt for refund. Still will be on pins and needles if there is a drain still killing the new battery slowly...  Will check back in a few weeks...

Edited by Madmax98

• 2 weeks later...

I have started a Lemon Law claim in MInnesota on the dead battery issue.  The last time it died (May 8) was the eighth time in a little over two years.  I picked up all the service records (but not the car) in order to start the Lemon Law process.  The records show that they "Reprogrammed PCM, IPC DC/DC and GMW modules" on May 8 or thereabouts.  Then on May 19 they performed "15B04."  

They have reprogrammed stuff before and the battery kept dying, so I have no confidence that this one will work any better.  You never know if they have fixed it until it fails again -- which has been our experience 6 times.  (Two of the 8 times we didn't bother taking it in).

I will watch this space with interest to see if this "fix" seems to fix the problem for others.  

What model do you have SE or SEL? With or without navigation? Wish someone start a thread of what models and options that are giving them the dead battery, parasitic amp draw problem? 

There is precisely what you describe in the form of a poll in this long-standing forum thread:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1294-for-those-who-have-had-12v-battery-problems/page-14?do=findComment&comment=57362

Edited by kostby

I have started a Lemon Law claim in MInnesota on the dead battery issue.  The last time it died (May 8) was the eighth time in a little over two years.  I picked up all the service records (but not the car) in order to start the Lemon Law process.  The records show that they "Reprogrammed PCM, IPC DC/DC and GMW modules" on May 8 or thereabouts.  Then on May 19 they performed "15B04."  

They have reprogrammed stuff before and the battery kept dying, so I have no confidence that this one will work any better.  You never know if they have fixed it until it fails again -- which has been our experience 6 times.  (Two of the 8 times we didn't bother taking it in).

I will watch this space with interest to see if this "fix" seems to fix the problem for others.  I've read of a guy years ago who was so disgusted with his car and he didn't want anyone else suffer with it. He invited some reporters and people from Ford and he buried it in his yard in front of everyone. 

What model do you have SE or SEL? With or without navigation? Wish someone start a thread of what models and options that are giving them the dead battery, parasitic amp draw problem?

There is precisely what you describe in the form of a poll in this long-standing forum thread:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1294-for-those-who-have-had-12v-battery-problems/page-14?do=findComment&comment=57362

kostby

I'm reposting your link so that it goes to the first page of the Poll thread.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1294-for-those-who-have-had-12v-battery-problems/

I will watch this space with interest to see if this "fix" seems to fix the problem for others. 

Rle:

I am so sorry to hear about your battery problems.  I know this can be terribly frustrating:  I had similar problems with my 2013 C-Max.  The original battery died 9 times; after it was replaced, the new battery died once.  Then, last fall, I had TSB 14-0155 applied, and this seems to have fixed the problem.  I have not had a dead battery since, and we had an absolutely frigid winter in Southeastern Pa. where I live.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have had my last dead battery.  I fully understand your decision to pursue your state's Lemon Law; when I had my 10th dead battery, I was kicking myself for not taking the same course of action when it was available to me.  I hope you can get a satisfying remedy no matter which course of action you pursue.  Good luck!