Seat heater not working after seat back recall

We had the seat back on our driver's seat replaced a few weeks ago per the recall.  This morning it was cool and damp so I turned on the seat heater and no heat.  The passenger seat was way hot with the dial set at 2.  The driver seat did nothing with the dial set at 5.

I hope this is simply a case of failure to reconnect an electrical connector when the new seat back was installed. 

Anyone else had this problem after having the seat back recall done?

We had the seat back on our driver's seat replaced a few weeks ago per the recall.  This morning it was cool and damp so I turned on the seat heater and no heat.  The passenger seat was way hot with the dial set at 2.  The driver seat did nothing with the dial set at 5...

Sounds like it's time to head back to the dealership, DaveofDurham. How many miles are on your C-MAX?

Crystal

Crystal -

We just rolled past the 35,000 mile mark this morning.  Why do you ask?

Dave

Hi Dave,

When folks have issues with their vehicles, I can research ways to assist and every little bit of info helps. In your case, I can escalate you to the customer service manager for your region. To make that happen, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Once I have your info, I'll be able to push this up the line.

Crystal

Edited by FordService

Hi Dave,

When folks have issues with their vehicles, I can research ways to assist and every little bit of info helps. In your case, I can escalate you to the customer service manager for your region. To make that happen, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Once I have your info, I'll be able to push this up the line.

Crystal

Crystal -

Thank you for your offer of assistance.  In the unlikely event that for some reason this gets to a point where escalating to higher powers is necessary and appropriate I will let you know.  At this point I have not even alerted the excellent service department at my dealership about the existence of this problem.

Dave

Brought our car in today to find out why the driver seat heater is not working.  It wasn't the fuse or the wiring (or the snooze or the AM/PM or even the volume).  It was the switch.  They ordered a new switch which should come in tomorrow and sent us home in a black Focus.

Jerry: (pause) So what happened? The snooze alarm, wasn’t it?
Jean-Paul: Man, it wasn’t the snooze. Most people think it was the snooze, but no, no snooze.
Jerry: AM/PM?!?!!!
Jean-Paul: Man, it wasn’t the AM/PM. It was the volume.
Jerry: Ah…the volume.
Jean-Paul: Yes, the volume. There was a separate knob for the radio alarm.
Jerry: Ah, separate knob.
Jean-Paul: Yes, separate knob. Why separate knob?! Why separate knob?! (frustrated)

Jerry: Some people like to have the radio alarm a little louder than the radio.
Jean-Paul: Oh, please, man, please!

tumblr_l0bie9IccR1qza49co1_500.png

Crystal -

Thank you for your offer of assistance.  In the unlikely event that for some reason this gets to a point where escalating to higher powers is necessary and appropriate I will let you know.  At this point I have not even alerted the excellent service department at my dealership about the existence of this problem.

Dave

Sounds good, Dave; keep us posted on how things go. :)

Crystal

We had the seat back on our driver's seat replaced a few weeks ago per the recall.  This morning it was cool and damp so I turned on the seat heater and no heat.  The passenger seat was way hot with the dial set at 2.  The driver seat did nothing with the dial set at 5. ...Anyone else had this problem after having the seat back recall done?

Just picked up the car after they did the seat back recall, and thanks to this thread, checked my seat heater... no heat for me either... And not as simple as a technician error.

I drove back and they check things out, and found a high resistance heater element, which they ordered for warranty replacement. As we were verifying the cold drivers' seat, I checked the passenger seat, and it got warm, eventually, when set to 5. Whenever the parts come in, I'm going to do a quick temp rise comparison... since I rarely have passegers, that heater's rarely used. Porter's an October 2012 build, so I suspect a bad batch of heater elements, and will see if the new drivers' side elements heat up a lot faster than the passenger side does.

HAve fun,

Frank

• 2 months later...

did the seat back recall last week.  drove th e car yesterday  and the seat heater was on on 5 on both passenger and driver.  but  I wasn't roasting any chestnuts as the driver and my daughter was nice and toasty, so she claimed.

so I looked under the Drivers seat.  all is well and plugged in.  passenger seat got warm  so its not the fuse.

I did notice on the Aldata site that the seat cushion and heating element are "throwaway" items when the the seats are dissasmbled...

I haven't called the dealership yet to schedule a return visit..

did the seat back recall last week.  drove th e car yesterday  and the seat heater was on on 5 on both passenger and driver.  but  I wasn't roasting any chestnuts as the driver and my daughter was nice and toasty, so she claimed.

so I looked under the Drivers seat.  all is well and plugged in.  passenger seat got warm  so its not the fuse.

I did notice on the Aldata site that the seat cushion and heating element are "throwaway" items when the the seats are dissasmbled...

I haven't called the dealership yet to schedule a return visit..

Hello Marc Smith,

It looks like someone’s seat is being an Ebenezer Scrooge around the holidays!

My name is Tricia, and I’m your U.S. Ford Customer Service rep. I’ll be happy to look into this further.

Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer name, mileage, and best daytime phone number. Once this info is received, you’ll be connected to a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Have a great week!  :) 

Tricia  

I suspect two things are going on here.

1) Ford had some bad seat heaters in the early production units.

My drivers' side heater was unusable in all but the coldest weather because a setting of 1 was uncomfortably hot. After a while, 5 hardly warmed the seats. That's the performance profile of a heater with a short circuit, drawing too much current until it burns out and draws too little.

2) We're checking our seat heaters after the seat back repair.

I did, and now have a heating element that's very comfortable (barely warm) at 1, replaced under warranty. If in doubt, check your seat heater before the warranty expires (unless you live where there's no need).

Also, try to avoid putting all your weight on one knee in the center of the seat cushion, reaching into the back seat for example, as that's not a nice thing to do to your seat heater!

HAve fun,

frank

the seat heater was working fine prior too.  I have a bad back and I love the relaxing warmth.  and yes the heaters are warm. 

As I mentioned,  according aldata  the seat heating elements and the foam cushions are throwaway items when the seats are dissamebled...

Makes me wonder if the new seat frames are being sent with new cushions and heating elements  or if they are trying to reuse them to save a few bucks...

ALLDATA Repair - Library and Educational Version - 2013 Ford C Max Hybrid L4-2.0L Hybrid - Front Seat Backrest Heater Mat.pdf