Recall 14S21 - Restraint Control Module

jeff_h

Below is a post from a longtime member of the Fusion Hybrid forum where he experienced multiple warning lights etc, and how his service advisor said that they've seen a lot of these and wouldn't be surprised if a recall occurred - and then just days later there it was.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9241-mainefusion-in-the-shop-for-failed-restraint-control-module/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While on the Ford owner site looking at my VIN, below are the details that were shown for 14S21.  I've already had the 14E02 PCM reprogram done, and when they did that they added 14S21 to the Repair Order with status of 'Parts Not Yet Available' as expected.

FORD RECALL NUMBER: 14S21

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 14V597

RECALL DATE: SEP 25, 2014

RECALL TITLE: RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT

RECALL DESCRIPTION: RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT

RISK TO SAFETY: DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE SHORT CIRCUIT, THE DEPLOYABLE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS AND OTHER SYSTEMS THAT USE INERTIAL DATA FROM THE RCM MAY NOT FUNCTION AS INTENDED, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.

REMEDY PROGRAM: DEALERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO REPLACE THE RCM. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE TO OWNERS FOR THIS SERVICE. AN INITIAL NOTIFICATION LETTER WILL BE MAILED TO ALL OWNERS THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 10, 2014. DUE TO LIMITED PARTS AVAILABILITY, WE WILL INSTRUCT OWNERS TO CONTACT THEIR DEALER FOR SERVICE IF THEY HAVE AN ILLUMINATED AIRBAG WARNING INDICATOR. OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY HAD THIS SERVICE PERFORMED WILL BE MAILED A FOLLOW-UP LETTER WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE, ADVISING THEM TO SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. IN ACCORDANCE WITH PART 573.13(D)(1), FORDS GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL WAS PROVIDED TO THE AGENCY ON FEBRUARY 20, 2013. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PER FORD'S GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN IS NOVEMBER 30, 2014. FORD WILL UPLOAD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS ON NHTSA'S SAFERCAR.GOV WEBSITE WHEN AVAILABLE.

MANUFACTURER NOTES: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

...RISK TO SAFETY: DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE SHORT CIRCUIT, THE DEPLOYABLE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS AND OTHER SYSTEMS THAT USE INERTIAL DATA FROM THE RCM MAY NOT FUNCTION AS INTENDED...

I have an early SEL (10/2012 delivery) and lost the air bags, RSC and traction control after hitting a bump. A short circuit explains everything, including the wait... for a seat back as well.

Frank

• 8 months later...

This today on OASIS.  Anyone have details about "Supplement #2"?  Ford reps?  Please!

Aug 05 2015 1744-Announcing Safety Recall 14S21 – Supplement #2

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD - Safety Recall 14S21 – Supplement #2: Certain 2013-2014 Model Year C-MAX, Escape, Fusion, and MKZ Vehicles Restraints Control Module Replacement. Please see FMCDealer.com for more details.

I was able to get the recall completed today, 8/8.  The dealership technician forgot to reconnect ALL of the wires under the center console.  Fortunately, I have the Service Manual for the C-Max and figured out how to remove the console enough to get underneath and reconnect the seat heaters. 12 V outlet, and ambient light in the cup holder.

• 1 month later...

I have an appointment to do the Emission Recall 15E03 and the Restraints Control Module Replacement 14S21 next week.  SA said they finally have the module in stock.  I think it was about 9 months ago that I first went in for the 14S21 work and he said they had to order it.  He never called to say "the one with your name on it has come in", but that's okay.

I have an appointment to do the Emission Recall 15E03 and the Restraints Control Module Replacement 14S21 next week.  SA said they finally have the module in stock.  I think it was about 9 months ago that I first went in for the 14S21 work and he said they had to order it.  He never called to say "the one with your name on it has come in", but that's okay.

I can also look into how to help things run smoothly for you as well, ArizonaEnergi. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location, and I'll get on it. :)

Meagan