Recall 14S21 - Restraint Control Module

jeff_h

I had the recall done yesterday. I did not receive the letter saying the part was now in. I had to follow up and call the dealer. the dealers receptioness tried to tell me the car would have to come in for a diagnostic before the recall could be done so they would be assured Ford would cover the part replacement. Took ten minutes going around with her until she checked with managment then finally she set up the appointment all seems fine now. job is finally done.

Will you be heading in to have this taken care of, raadsel? I can help get the ball rolling.

Meagan

If the parts are now widely available, I'll make an appointment to get it done in the next few weeks. Since I've not had an issue, I just want to make sure that there is now sufficient inventory.

If the parts are now widely available, I'll make an appointment to get it done in the next few weeks. Since I've not had an issue, I just want to make sure that there is now sufficient inventory.

Sounds good. If you'd like me to jump in, just PM your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

• 2 weeks later...

So, how do we know if a dealer addressed all of the recalls for our cars and how do we keep track of all they need? I bought a 2013 SE with 4,000 miles 16 months ago and it had recalls, one recently, two before I bought it. I see no evidence anywhere that they've been addressed, but I really don't know how to tell. The sales guy said, oh yea, it's been done, but he didn't know anything about the C-Max. I was telling him all about them! I guess I don't really trust the dealership here in this one-horse, pick-up-driving town, either. Is there an easy way to figure this out? Thanks. 

So, how do we know if a dealer addressed all of the recalls for our cars and how do we keep track of all they need? I bought a 2013 SE with 4,000 miles 16 months ago and it had recalls, one recently, two before I bought it. I see no evidence anywhere that they've been addressed, but I really don't know how to tell. The sales guy said, oh yea, it's been done, but he didn't know anything about the C-Max. I was telling him all about them! I guess I don't really trust the dealership here in this one-horse, pick-up-driving town, either. Is there an easy way to figure this out? Thanks. 

To find out about any recalls that need to be done, go to owner.ford.com, select the "Service & Maintenance" tab and, underneath it select "Recalls". You can either create an account or you can just enter the VIN of your car, and it will show you the recalls that still need to be performed. 

The link above should take you directly to the Recalls page.

Edited by raadsel

Sorry, but the simple answer is no.

There are various ways, the ford etis site is one, that will show you what Ford believes needs to be done (e.g. open recalls).  So far as I am aware, there is no independent, owner-friendly way to determine what software version is installed in each of the 30-odd programmable modules.  Nor is there anyway to determine what the version should be.

FYI, here's the list of possible modules for my 2013 SEL.  Interestingly, the restraints control module, the subject of this recall and obviously programmable, isn't even listed.

post-399-0-04033800-1443811559_thumb.jpg

Ford, are you listening?  I have a suggestion: have the vehicle health report list all modules and their software version.

Although the Description field in your screenshot shows 'unknown', what do the letters RCM in your list suggest? Restraint Control Module, perhaps?

The FordService reps here keep TRYING to direct us to the proper US site, owner.ford.com, as mentioned by raadsel above.

ETIS is ABSOLUTELY NOT the authorized Ford site for reliable information on United States Ford C-MAX vehicles.

If you click on Help at ETIS, you'll see: "Information not applicable or not available in your market. Please contact your local Ford National Sales Company (NSC) for further assistance."

If you look up your VIN on ETIS, it's highly likely that your non-Energi 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid SEL is listed as a 2014 C-MAX Energi.

Yes, I hear your suggestion that consumers SHOULD be able to see what software and hardware versions are installed in their vehicles. But absolutely NOT on a free public website, just by entering no more owner or dealership identification than a VIN number!

I like using the FordETIS website it has worked well for tracking recalls for the past 2 years.  You don't have to login,

just enter your vin which your browser stores. Recalls disappear off of the webpage a couple days after they are completed.

The Energi bug appeared last year , I just ignore it.

I like using the FordETIS website it has worked well for tracking recalls for the past 2 years.  You don't have to login,

just enter your vin which your browser stores. Recalls disappear off of the webpage a couple days after they are completed.

The Energi bug appeared last year , I just ignore it.

So far as I can tell, it is the same at owner.ford.com. You don't need to sign in, or even have an account, to find the recall information.

As an example, I just went to a local ford dealer's website and found a C-Max they have for sale and checked what recalls need to be done on owner.ford.com. Using a web browser I don't typically use and not being signed into the owner.ford.com website, it shows the vehicle requires:

• VIN: 1FADP5AU6FL116943
  • FSA Title: 2015 MODEL YEAR ESCAPE, FOCUS, AND C-MAX BODY CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING
  • Field Service Action Number: 15C06
Edited by raadsel

Although the Description field in your screenshot shows 'unknown', what do the letters RCM in your list suggest? Restraint Control Module, perhaps?

I stand corrected.  I looked but didn't see.

But I still like, and will continue to use and recommend, etis.  And I still believe the configuration of my vehicle should be easily obtainable.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received Ford Recall letter on 14S21 here in Central Illinois on 20 October 2015.  Letter said that parts are now available , with estimated repair time of One Half day.  Similar to any one else's experience on any of this???

Hi bob61571,

Do you already have an appointment set up for the recall service? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll look into some options.

Meagan

Just received Ford Recall letter on 14S21 here in Central Illinois on 20 October 2015.  Letter said that parts are now available , with estimated repair time of One Half day.  Similar to any one else's experience on any of this???

Yes, 4 hrs is about right.  I'd call ahead in case the dealer has to order the part.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford still must be a little slow on shipping parts.  Scheduled my car for the module replacement and the dealer said it would take about 10 days to get the part.  We ended up scheduling the appointment three weeks out, and I still ended up with a call on Friday the day before the appointment that the part had not arrived.  I could have had some other things done, but with a winter weather advisory that night, we decided to wait on the part to get everything done at once.

Ford still must be a little slow on shipping parts.  Scheduled my car for the module replacement and the dealer said it would take about 10 days to get the part.  We ended up scheduling the appointment three weeks out, and I still ended up with a call on Friday the day before the appointment that the part had not arrived.  I could have had some other things done, but with a winter weather advisory that night, we decided to wait on the part to get everything done at once.

Hi donhak,

Just to clarify, are you still waiting on the part? Please let me know, along with your mileage. I'll look into some options.

Meagan

Megan,

PM sent with details.  Still waiting on the part as of 11/25/15.  Kendall Ford said it had been taking about ten days to get the part but this one has been over three weeks.  We are waiting on the part to reschedule.  There are no indications of problems, but after getting the second recall notice that parts are available, I have been wanting to get it addressed along with other open items.

I still love the car and plan on keeping it for many years yet.

Megan,

PM sent with details.  Still waiting on the part as of 11/25/15.  Kendall Ford said it had been taking about ten days to get the part but this one has been over three weeks.  We are waiting on the part to reschedule.  There are no indications of problems, but after getting the second recall notice that parts are available, I have been wanting to get it addressed along with other open items.

I still love the car and plan on keeping it for many years yet.

Replied! :)

Meagan