Recall 14S21 - Restraint Control Module

jeff_h

Thank you Meagan for the help.  Had call from Ford Customer Care last Monday, 11/29.  Part was here 12/3 and installed 12/5.  Dealer said that some restraint modules had been taking up to six months to get here from time of order.  Lately it had been down to 10 days but mine was past the 5 week point.

Car ended up being in all day.  Also had PCM recall reprogramming, and battery inspection and check done.  I never had any problems with the battery, but it failed in the middle of testing and gave them headaches.  Closest battery 45 miles away so I will need to go back to get it installed but they got the original recharged and the system working again so I could get the car back.

• 4 months later...

I'm taking my car in to get this done on Monday. Anything I should do to prepare the car; for example, should I empty the center console (do they need to remove it)? Additionally, is there anything I should ensure is correctly reassembled/working correctly before leaving the dealer? Hopefully this will go smoothly, the dealer claims to have the parts.

I took mine in for the update about a month ago (along with a Microsoft Sync problem and they did a Sync reset)

I was wondering if some software was updated.  After getting it back, when first starting the car, I suspect the software is a lot more motivated to start the engine to charge the battery up and warm up the car.

My other theory is that doing the Sync reset messed things up.  ( I tend to be of the understanding that Sync is messy source of problems. )

I'm taking my car in to get this done on Monday. Anything I should do to prepare the car; for example, should I empty the center console (do they need to remove it)? Additionally, is there anything I should ensure is correctly reassembled/working correctly before leaving the dealer? Hopefully this will go smoothly, the dealer claims to have the parts.

Yes, the center console needs to be removed to replace the RCM.

If you have heated seats, make sure the control knobs on the center console illuminate (and the heated seats work) after recall work. I have seen reports of some heated seats not working after RCM recall because the installer neglected to re-connect them. I would also check USB and charging ports in center console to make sure they are still functional.

If you have heated seats, make sure the control knobs on the center console illuminate (and the heated seats work) after recall work. I have seen reports of some heated seats not working after RCM recall because the installer neglected to re-connect them. I would also check USB and charging ports in center console to make sure they are still functional.

Good Tips!

I'm making another attempt to have the RCM replaced. Tried to have it done last October but never heard back from the selling dealer. Trying another dealer.