How to replace C-MAX engine air filter?

webcontrol

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Ford_C-Max_Hybrid_SEL_2.0L_4_Cyl./air_filter_engine/replace

That's the correct link for the engine air filter replacement video.  I did mine just a few days ago and completed the job in about an hour.  With the proper skill and tools I would think it should take less than half that.  Just be sure to gently press the soft gasket of the air filter fully into the housing.  Only real problem I experienced was re-installing the large air filter housing under the cowl, but just as I was going to use the ultimate tool (obscene language) it slipped into place.  BTW, at 24,500 miles the filter was surprisingly clean, though there were a few clumps of dirt resting in the bottom of the housing.  Good luck.

And when all else fails, RTFM.  :)

Here's a good link to the owner's manual where the engine air filter replacement procedure begins on page 229. I like to use the online and/or PDF versions because it's so much easier to find keywords using good ole "Ctrl+F".

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2014-CMAX-Owner-Manual-version-1_OM_EN_11_2013.pdf

• 9 months later...

SO I thought the new body control module and ALL new software last summer was why we jumped from 39 to 40 on a good day to 42 to 43 on ANY day.

Except for 75+ mph tanks, that went from 32/33 to 34/35.

This is our second filter it has about 20K miles on it.

We had a chipmunk living under the hood for a couple (???) of weeks last summer, I started parking in a different spot every day when I saw him/her duck in between the hood/windshield/finder.

If we drop back to the old MPG's I'm going to throw some cotton in the intake.

post-554-0-12535100-1435628301_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just checked my air filter. YES, what a pain in the butt to check/change. removing that whole plastic top intake on the ICE

The dealer must have put a new one in before I picked it up for their multipoint inspection. it looked very clean for 20K miles. 

Barring chipmunks, and assuming 50% EV, I'd expect a nearly pristine air filter at 20K miles.

And remember, an older filter is a better filter. The only true failure mode, barring damage, is increased pressure drop across the filter. With fuel injection, increased pressure drop is a non-issue - no effect on fuel consumption. To quote Oak Ridge National Lab:

"Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy ... Acceleration performance on all vehicles was improved with a clean air filter."

The hot-rodders and racers in the group need clean air filters. However, there's a tradeoff... "performance" filters offer the promise of reduced pressure drop from T=0, without a loss of filtration efficiency. That's bunk. The data in this report:

"This illustrates the apparent trade-offs between optimizing a filter for dirt capturing ability and maximum airflow"

And the reason filtration efficiency is important is found in oil analysis. Silicon in the oil is a sign of poor filtration efficiency, as the only source is environmental.

The rest of us, especially us hybrid drivers with our low RPM CVTs, may want to consider selecting filters based on filtration efficiency, load capacity, and the ability to support extended air filter change intervals, especially with a filter as hard to access as this one. I suspect the Ford filter performance would mirror that AC-Delco's.

I'm pushing 40K miles and I'm nowhere near ready to change the filter. My oil reports show Si falling as the filter ages. Although at these levels, that may be normal variation, there's comfort in the downward trend.

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

Very true about permanent or performance filters.  You can't have improved air flow without increased dirt intake. 

I have a K&N air filter which I tested, It does have less back pressure and filters just as good, because it has more surface area than the FORD one.  The more surface area, less pressure drop. :)

Paul

post-143-0-58322100-1384466681_thumb.jpg Here is a pic of old and new FORD air filter on testing box.  New filter was better than old and K&N was better than new FORD air filter. Unfortunately I could find pic of K&N air filter. Their is one on K&N site. 
Edited by ptjones

Paul, 

The K&N belongs in a race car, where the goal is optimizing full throttle operation, and pressure drop is important. The C-Max isn't a race car, rarely runs unthrottled, and is designed to minimize fuel consumption. Doesn't sound like a good fit, does it? 

Since you've had that K&N in there a while, the proof should be in your oil. What's your oil's Si level after 10K miles of low-efficiency air filtration? Mine's been dropping and klatoo's Si levels are similar to mine (when normalized for oil mileage) so there's the beginnings of a basis for comparison.

Have fun,

Frank

• 1 year later...

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Ford_C-Max_Hybrid_SEL_2.0L_4_Cyl./air_filter_engine/replace

That's the correct link for the engine air filter replacement video.  I did mine just a few days ago and completed the job in about an hour.  With the proper skill and tools I would think it should take less than half that.  Just be sure to gently press the soft gasket of the air filter fully into the housing.  Only real problem I experienced was re-installing the large air filter housing under the cowl, but just as I was going to use the ultimate tool (obscene language) it slipped into place.  BTW, at 24,500 miles the filter was surprisingly clean, though there were a few clumps of dirt resting in the bottom of the housing.  Good luck.

Nice! I was just realizing at 50k miles that the dealer didn't change it at the scheduled interval. Makes me wonder why I go to a dealer!

Paul, 

The K&N belongs in a race car, where the goal is optimizing full throttle operation, and pressure drop is important. The C-Max isn't a race car, rarely runs unthrottled, and is designed to minimize fuel consumption. Doesn't sound like a good fit, does it? 

Since you've had that K&N in there a while, the proof should be in your oil. What's your oil's Si level after 10K miles of low-efficiency air filtration? Mine's been dropping and klatoo's Si levels are similar to mine (when normalized for oil mileage) so there's the beginnings of a basis for comparison.

Have fun,

Frank

I forgot about this thread, but it's worth mentioning I have at least 60k mi. ICE miles on my K&N Air Filter and I got my best Oil Analyses Report yet. :)  Not sure that it improved MPG's, but It seemed to me it improve acceleration. :)  I guess I could put my New Ford filter in( what a job :sad: ) And see if I notice a difference.

Paul