Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Driving the C-Max in the snow

snow traction tires

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ideaman7

ideaman7

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

We received about three inches of heavy wet snow today in the Northeaster storm now blanketing New England. I took out my SE on the un-plowed roads of Providence to see how it handles in snow.

My conclusion? Pretty damn well. My last car was a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 with a separate set of winter wheels mounted with a set of Yokahama IceGuard 20 sport snow tires. There was not a lot of difference between the two cars and I do a lot of winter driving in northern New England.

I went around corners fairly fast, stopped short several times, and went up a pretty steep hill with good results. I will still buy another set of wheels and snow tires for the C-Max since I ski in New Hampshire each weekend in the winter but I was impressed with how the C-Max handles snow.
  • MikeB likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for letting us know how the C-Max handles the snow without snow tires. The more I read the more impessed I am with the C-Max.

#3 OFFLINE   ideaman7

ideaman7

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

I am also very impressed with the car in my first three weeks of ownership.

#4 OFFLINE   salprint

salprint

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Snow here also in NY. My SE handled great. Its a heavy car, and it has a "heavy" feel in the snow. I had to pull into a parking lot that wasn't plowed, going uphill, and it did fine....climbed right up the hill without any kind of slipping or swaying.

#5 OFFLINE   bkawaii7

bkawaii7

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque,NM
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford C-Max

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the snow driving update, I am interested in hearing how the c-max does on icy patches on snow covered freeways, We do a lot of mountain driving in the winter. (northern New Mexico) The roads are cleared but lots of slush and slick spots, any update you can provide would be appreciated.

#6 OFFLINE   scooter_scum

scooter_scum

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

I took my C-Max Energi over I-70 near Dillon, during a snow storm.  Not the brightest move with a new car.  Went through eisenhower tunnel all heck broke loose.  Good snow storm with cars spun out everywhere.  Big 4x4 trucks in the ditch, Chrysler 200 spun out and hit the divider.  Went down the hill slowly into Dillon.  Car did very well.  Did not feel loose at all with the OEM tires.  Was not impressed with the traction control.  Headed up hills and the wheels started to spin.  Did not seem to cut the power to the wheels.  Front end tended to slide sideways.  Was a bit disappointed with that behavior.

#7 OFFLINE   stranger267

stranger267

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 42 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Location94596
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-MAX SE

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Quick question - any chains other then very expensive K-Summit system? (Chains are required in mountains on non 4x4 cars, sometimes even on 4x4).

(The small wheel clearance is a big drawback of C-MAX, together with _no spare wheel_ feature :)).

I made quick research and all I could find is this =- almost $500 total:

http://www.backcount...b3-001b2166becc

(Fortunately, we use Subaru as a primary car for mountain trips, but I'd like to use CMAX at least in moderate weather as these are 400 - 500 miles trips. But 'no snow chains allowed' is really a big problem).

#8 OFFLINE   Fits2at

Fits2at

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

We had 2-3" of a heavy wet snow on Thursday night.  Drove the C-Max in to work yesterday morning.  I have the factory tires on it and it did really well.  I played a little bit before I got out of my neighborhood.  ABS brakes work well but I too wasn't impressed with the traction control system.  Tires spun a little and the traction control light didn't even come on.  Same thing this morning.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am terrified of driving in snow/ice. This is the first time I've felt comfortable driving in it since we had our little BMW 325 manual.

#9 OFFLINE   JulieB

JulieB

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 97 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationPlano, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hey, that's good to know, Fits2at. There's a chance of snow here on Christmas Day, and we may find out (if we get the car by then, that is). 

#10 OFFLINE   Fits2at

Fits2at

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

JulieB just play with it a bit before you get out on the open road. I was still pretty cautious but that is just me. I drive like a grandma in snow. I actually drove about 50 miles round trip DURING the storm on Thursday in high winds. It was 35 mph sustained winds with 60 mph gusts. The wind bothered me waaaay more than the snow. Had ridiculous headwinds going and a great tailwind coming home. Winds stayed up the next day too and a huge drop in temps. Highs only in the 20's for 2 days now. Between the wind and cold temps it has killed my mpg. :-(

#11 OFFLINE   Fits2at

Fits2at

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Ok my little C-Max was put to the test this week.  We had a blizzard warning on Wednesday and received 12" of snow.  No, I didn't attempt to drive it in that.  I waited until the following day after the plow trucks came through.  I still had a couple of snow drifts to get through which proved to be no problem.  I still can't get the Traction control light to come on.  I double checked that the Traction Control system was indeed turned on.

We are still driving around the neighborhoods and parking lots with lots of ice and slush but I have managed to get everywhere I needed to go.  So far, so good!

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow, traction, tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·