Smart monitor for 12v battery

Even though my 2000 Honda Insight has been gone since I got my C-Max, I still get occasional Honda hybrid list serve messages.  This one on a smart monitor for the 12v battery came today.

Full article at   http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/831094/Smart-Monitor-for-Automotive-Battery

Many modern types of batteries (such as lithium batteries) are designed with a smart battery chip built in, which provides a great deal of information about their state of charge and so on. Lead acid batteries are commonly made simple and lack any kind of smart battery chip in them, leaving the automotive shop with the task to test battery.

Yet there is enough room in any motor vehicle to have a tiny sensor which can monitor lead acid battery at real time, so a small project was created to get proper hardware and software to work together to provide smart battery like features for automotive battery.

A simple and non-intrusive approach was used so that no cables or wires are to be cut or disconnected in the automobile, only probes are attached to battery terminals, and one non-contact current sensor on battery cable. . .

Described below automotive battery smart monitor (battmon) has significant capabilities to obtain, display and record several key battery parameters, and figure out several other battery properties based on several charge or engine starting cycles to notify user about battery health and life expectancy. The following raw automotive battery parameters are displayed and recorded

• Battery current
  • Battery voltage
  • Battery temperature

Based on them, the above data from automotive battery, the following battery parameters are computed, displayed live at run time and logged to SD card as well

• State of Charge SoC (0 to 100%), separately, while
    • Charging
    • At rest
    • Discharging
  • Engine Starting: Current draw and Duration
  • Battery Internal Resistance
  • Battery cranking amperes (CA), and if temperature is low enough, then cold cranking amperes (CCA)
  • Number of charge-discharge cycles
  • Estimated battery capacity (A*Hrs) based on coulombic charge accepted and charge released
  • Charging time

Battmon can provide important battery health information:

• within seconds
  • without the need to remove battery from automobile
  • on motor vehicle while driving, when parked, and when engine is off . . .