This blows: XGPSX out and car jus out of warranty

So driving back tonight, everything was literally rolling along and then I noticed this lovely screen:

15484553689_7774a0e575_n.jpg

I pulled over restarted the car - nothing.

I did a Master Reset of the MFT - nothing.

This GPS was replaced early on by Galpin because it would show me driving on houses. mountains.

However, not once has it played up since it was replaced.

So...my question:

Maxine is at 37,000, Jus out of warranty but does this also include the GPS out of warranty too?

I'll cross my fingers tomorrow it may "boot up" but I am not confident.

This blows.

Below are excerpts from the Service Parts Warranty.  Hopefully, the GPS will be okay today.  You might want to try pulling the GPS fuse (don't have time to look up now) or disconnect the battery for a few minutes if it doesn't boot up okay.  I think Ford might replace since you are only 1 k miles out of warranty and had the unit replaced prior.  Perhaps there's an underlying issue that fails the GPS.  I'd also argue that the new replacement parts warranty eff. Oct 1, 2013 if one had "paid" for the first replacement part has been increased from 1 year /12 k to 2 years with no mileage restriction.  It makes no sense (other than economics) for Ford not to apply the same warranty coverage no matter who "paid" for the first replacement.  What is Ford thinking????

"SPW Coverage on Parts Replaced at Company Expense

Parts replaced at Company expense (e.g., Warranty, Customer Satisfaction Programs, Special Service Instructions, Field Service Actions (FSA), or Customer Loyalty Plan) are covered under the applicable Service Parts Warranty stated below or the remaining portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (if any), whichever is greater.

• Ford/ Lincoln Cars & Light Trucks: The parts and accessories warranty is: 12 months / 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first" - Ford Service Parts Warranty (SPW)

"On October 1, 2013 the Service Parts Warranty (SPW) Coverage on Ford Genuine & Motorcraft Parts replaced is increasing to 24 months and unlimited. Parts installed or sold by dealerships, or authorized distributors, to retail and wholesale customers qualify for the following warranty coverage:

Cars and Trucks (under 600 series medium duty trucks)
Dealer-Installed

• Parts and labor to replace defective part within 24 months/unlimited miles

• Towing is covered, if required; buy only if the vehicle is not covered under the Roadside Assistance Program.

• Warranty begins from date of installation, as noted on the vehicle owner repair order.

Sold Over-the-Counter to a Retail Purchaser

• Part warranty is 24 months/unlimited miles

• For a retail purchaser, warranty begins on the date of sale as stated on the OTC invoice.

• Labor is not reimbursable" - Ford Service Parts Warranty (SPW)

Hey thanks P3G and DD and the goodnews is that the GPS booted fine this morning and appear to be functioning correctly  :yahoo:

This is SO weird. How can letting a car sit, reset the GPS? It was not a hot day yesterday, temp was probably mid 70s, nothing out of the ordinary on the drive, no bump or hard braking that I can recollect that may have move or dislodge module or wire. Far out.

Now this has me thinking about an extended warranty and I need to find the cost from Galpin unless you guys recommend something else.

I need to find this fuse for the GPS, if it exists later today.

Maybe you bumped the nav card while putting something in the center console? Pull the nav card and reset it back in its slot.

No bump afaik. I did that - pulled out the A4 card, my usb drive and did a Master Reset and re-inserted them both back when it was fully up. Even switched the car off for a short time afterward and it still did not work.

Trick or Treat   ;)

lol, I didn't thnk of that....

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Below are excerpts from the Service Parts Warranty.  Hopefully, the GPS will be okay today.  You might want to try pulling the GPS fuse (don't have time to look up now) or disconnect the battery for a few minutes if it doesn't boot up okay.  I think Ford might replace since you are only 1 k miles out of warranty and had the unit replaced prior.  Perhaps there's an underlying issue that fails the GPS.  I'd also argue that the new replacement parts warranty eff. Oct 1, 2013 if one had "paid" for the first replacement part has been increased from 1 year /12 k to 2 years with no mileage restriction.  It makes no sense (other than economics) for Ford not to apply the same warranty coverage no matter who "paid" for the first replacement.  What is Ford thinking????

"SPW Coverage on Parts Replaced at Company Expense

Parts replaced at Company expense (e.g., Warranty, Customer Satisfaction Programs, Special Service Instructions, Field Service Actions (FSA), or Customer Loyalty Plan) are covered under the applicable Service Parts Warranty stated below or the remaining portion of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (if any), whichever is greater.

• Ford/ Lincoln Cars & Light Trucks: The parts and accessories warranty is: 12 months / 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first" - Ford Service Parts Warranty (SPW)

"On October 1, 2013 the Service Parts Warranty (SPW) Coverage on Ford Genuine & Motorcraft Parts replaced is increasing to 24 months and unlimited. Parts installed or sold by dealerships, or authorized distributors, to retail and wholesale customers qualify for the following warranty coverage:

Cars and Trucks (under 600 series medium duty trucks)

Dealer-Installed

• Parts and labor to replace defective part within 24 months/unlimited miles

• Towing is covered, if required; buy only if the vehicle is not covered under the Roadside Assistance Program.

• Warranty begins from date of installation, as noted on the vehicle owner repair order.

Sold Over-the-Counter to a Retail Purchaser

• Part warranty is 24 months/unlimited miles

• For a retail purchaser, warranty begins on the date of sale as stated on the OTC invoice.

• Labor is not reimbursable" - Ford Service Parts Warranty (SPW)

The SPW is for SOLD parts. Not new car warranty replaced parts.

Anything repaired under warranty is cover by the vehicles warranty period.

This unit was not SOLD to him. It was warranty replaced. Gotta watch the working in these documents you're digging up.

This one applies to all purchased parts as if the car was no longer under warranty.

Edited by drdiesel1

I've had this red X on GPS may times, but it always reset, by itself, or when I removed and reinserted the GPS card.

BTW, avoid the "trick or treat" response, as it's an "infolink" that sends you to a VW sales page - a trick in the least enjoyable sense!

Have fun,

Frank

Jus, I agree with Frank, we will all get the GPS 'loss of lock' X on occasion (whatever it actually represents); perhaps twice that I have noticed.  Nothing to get too excited about.  GPS is not a 100 % thing; same applies to much of our on-board electronics.  I got the larger 'no nav' screen once because I had accidentally dislodged the Nav Card - spooked me at first though.  The Nav card slot is in the center console as I'm sure you have found by now.

Nick 

Edited by C-MaxSea

lol, I was thinking that the GPS card was the actual module itself ala graphics card in a desktop/laptop. I know where the A4 card is, me bad for misinterpreting. 

So Nick, did yours reboot immediately, or did you fiddle with the A4 card, or did u just let the CMax sit and it reset like mine did, this morning? 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hope we don't get too many people cornfused here. 

I don't recall exactly how long it took our GPS X icon (GPS Module/satellite lock symbol ?) to resolve/reset/reboot (?) itself, but I believe it was just a matter of minutes - no operator action required.  The A4 or A5 Nav Card on the other hand can be bumped and eject; and shut the whole combined system down (GPS/NAV Mapping).  Once reinserted it is only a few moments for it to kick the nav screen back on.  Two different, yet related phenomena. 

Noting of course that our 'guidance system' is a marriage of two fundamental partners;  'accurate' real time point positioning on the face of the planet (GPS augmented for navigational purposes), and 'more accurate' mapping enabled by those same positioning systems (augmented for mapping purposes).  Still room for error on either end of that marital bliss (and everywhere in between  ;)  :jump_earth: solar flares, earth wobbles, satellite positioning ............................).  

Out of date, & often wet,

Nick 

(Frank, did you mean to type Nav Card, rather than "GPS Card" ?)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Yeah, and just to note that I got the A5 card off eBay for $35 and it was the same factory card (in the packaging) as those you buy at the dealership (so no real need not to get one, if updated maps are important to you).

can you please PM me the ebay link for $35?  thanks.

The SPW is for SOLD parts. Not new car warranty replaced parts.

Anything repaired under warranty is cover by the vehicles warranty period.

This unit was not SOLD to him. It was warranty replaced. Gotta watch the working in these documents you're digging up.

This one applies to all purchased parts as if the car was no longer under warranty.

Quite frankly drdiesel1, you need to reread the SPW as your summary is not quite correct.  The highlighted text above is not correct.  Yes I agree, one needs to watch the wording. ;)  

First, the SPW covers all parts sold or provided at no cost to an owner.  Second, a replaced part under the new car warranty can be warranted beyond the new car warranty period. A part replaced under warranty is covered by the greater of 1) the vehicles new car warranty or  2) 1 year, 12,000 miles whichever comes first.   

So, it's up to an owner to determine whether a part replaced as time and mileage increase has warranty should the replaced part fail. For example, a part replaced at no cost on a C-Max 10 months ago at 36 k miles under the b2b 3/36k warranty may be under the SPW warranty up to 48 k miles or another 2 months whichever comes first even though the b2b 3/36 likely expired shortly after the part was replaced due to mileage increase beyond 36 k miles.

Glad to hear your outage was temporary, as mine have been. Sometimes it fixes itself, sometimes I have to remove/re-insert, sometimes it jus stays broke until it wants to work. Here's a pic I posted a while ago, if anyone's interested. (I like My Media!)

post-1320-0-86514800-1398697403_thumb.jpg

Have fun,

Frank