Installing ICE Block Heater

ptjones

Let's be clear. This 1500W pump is a circulating immersion pump. It goes in heater hoses, and has in internal pump to circulate water through the engine, with no need for special placement to insure convection. Assuming thermostats on the elements, this unit should be as good as the OEM.

Let us know how things go!

HAve fun,

Frank

• 1 month later...

https://goo.gl/photos/2Z8NbSKi1UHNJVvE8

https://goo.gl/photos/qompGxgxycVGoS4N9
https://goo.gl/photos/b35gpRfRApa41VKdA

Now I must to check how does it work. 

I mean I know how but I need to check in very low temperatures. Today is only 32F - to 122F in 15-20 minutes (at heater). 

Where is the engine block temperature sensor?? - temperature display did not show high temperature. 

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski

Today. 

Outside temp - 32F, Engine temp - 32F, time - 50 min, left side of engine - 135F, Right side of engine - 120F. My view - coolant temp - did not show anything - I do not know why. I can't find temperature sensor. 

but to improve EPG  you  need to raise temperature of inverter to :) 

But this is not my priority :)

The ScanGauge II screen reads out WT and probably most ICE's are measured at the cylinder head where it is the hottest.  :)

Paul

The scanguage II reads out what the CPU is reporting as WT, which is caluclated by the computer based on CWT.

EDIT: There is no sensor to measure water temperature.

Edited by stevedebi

The scanguage II reads out what the CPU is reporting as WT, which is caluclated by the computer based on CWT.

EDIT: There is no sensor to measure water temperature.

Here is the part# for the sensor:

12A648
(DY-1187)
FordMotorcraft.gif
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
2.0 4V Dual Over Head Cam PFI Gas/Electric ; Plug-In Gas/Electric Hybrid

$39.20    

I was unable to copy the diagram, but the sensor does measure the water temp of water coming from the exhaust side of the cylinder head.

Here's a Link: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2013&m=Ford&mo=C-Max&initSearch=1&keyword=water%20temperature%20sensor.

Learned something new everyday. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

There is a Cylinder Head Temperature(CHT)sensor. It looks as if Fordparts labels it as a Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor (DY-1269). The CHT does not measure coolant temperature. It appears there is a second ECT in the cooling circuit (DY-1187).

"The CHT sensor is installed in the cylinder head and measures the metal temperature. The CHT sensor provides complete engine temperature information and is used to infer coolant temperature."

The CHT is used by the PCM to move the coolant temperature gauge into the "red" and initiate fail-safe cooling.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

There is a Cylinder Head Temperature(CHT)sensor. It looks as if Fordparts labels it as a Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. The CHT does not measure WT.

"The CHT sensor is installed in the cylinder head and measures the metal temperature. The CHT sensor provides complete engine temperature information and is used to infer coolant temperature."

I couldn't find a CHT sensor at FORDPARTS, but I found:

6G004

FordGenuineParts.gif
Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor
2.0 4V Dual Over Head Cam PFI Gas/Electric
$27.25

I couldn't find a CHT sensor at FORDPARTS, but I found:

6G004

FordGenuineParts.gif

Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor

2.0 4V Dual Over Head Cam PFI Gas/Electric

$27.25

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/RenderIllustration.ashx?id=334770201&f=3&n=DS7Z6049A

:)

Paul

After looking in the Service Manual, the ECT looks like it might be the CHT. Here's a snip from the Service Manual of the CHT. In the second pic the top of the CHT looks like the top of the ECT. But who knows.

gallery_167_32_58523.png

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 2 weeks later...

If the ice has to run to heat the battery wouldn't it make more sense to heat the battery?

I don't think anyone was talking about heating the HVB in this thread, but that happens automatically anytime the HVB discharges or Charging from the ICE. I have monitored HVB temps with the ScanGaugeII to see what temp the fan turns on.  HVB works better when cold than hot. :)

Paul

Blue thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will typically run continuously when the indicator is blue

To increase fuel economy I have to add one more heater - in EV coolant hose. 

My heater is to protect engine in cold weather :)

Tom,

What are you quoting? I had to refresh my memory by checking the OM - the blue thermometer is for the Water Temperature disply on MyView, correct?

Manual:

• Coolant Temp – Indicates engine coolant temperature. At normal operating temperature, the level indicator will be white and will be in the normal range (between H and C). If the engine coolant temperature exceeds the normal range, the level indicator will change to red to indicate that the engine is overheating. Stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible, turn off the vehicle and let the engine cool. The thermometer indicator next to the gauge will illuminate in blue or white to indicate the following (not available for Energi vehicles): • Blue thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will typically run continuously when the indicator is blue.

Note: During silent key start mode, the thermometer indicator will be blue, but the gasoline engine will not run. This is the result of the vehicle computer allowing the engine to be cooler during the silent key start period. This is normal operation and does not indicate a problem with your vehicle. After the first engine start the indicator will turn white when the gasoline engine is warm enough to turn off.

• White thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is warm enough to allow EV operation. If the vehicle operates on battery power long enough, it is possible that the gasoline engine may need to run to keep the system warm. In this case, the thermometer indicator will revert back to blue.

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski