Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Installing ICE Block Heater

block heater

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,236 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

To me it looks like the same part they call the  Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor in FORDPARTS. ;) :headscratch: 

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,817 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

To me it looks like the same part they call the  Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor in FORDPARTS. ;) :headscratch: 

Paul

I think you are right #6G004 . http://www.ebay.com/...&chn=ps&lpid=82

#43 OFFLINE   Tomasz Karwowski

Tomasz Karwowski

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 63 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • LocationPoland
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

Today:

Outside temp - 35F

Time - 90 min. 

Engine temp - 35F and after 90min - display shows 1mm of white, after 60sec of engine running- 3/4 of normal temp. 

I'm waiting for very cold weather ( minus 5F at least). 

• djc likes this

#44 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 391 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

If the ice has to run to heat the battery wouldn't it make more sense to heat the battery?

#45 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 391 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

Delete.

Edited by markd, 13 December 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

If the ice has to run to heat the battery wouldn't it make more sense to heat the battery?

I don't think anyone was talking about heating the HVB in this thread, but that happens automatically anytime the HVB discharges or Charging from the ICE. I have monitored HVB temps with the ScanGaugeII to see what temp the fan turns on.  HVB works better when cold than hot. :)

Paul

#47 OFFLINE   Tomasz Karwowski

Tomasz Karwowski

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Blue thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will typically run continuously when the indicator is blue

To increase fuel economy I have to add one more heater - in EV coolant hose. 

My heater is to protect engine in cold weather :)

#48 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

Blue thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will typically run continuously when the indicator is blue

To increase fuel economy I have to add one more heater - in EV coolant hose. 

My heater is to protect engine in cold weather :)

Tom,

What are you quoting? I had to refresh my memory by checking the OM - the blue thermometer is for the Water Temperature disply on MyView, correct?

#49 OFFLINE   Tomasz Karwowski

Tomasz Karwowski

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

Manual:

• Coolant Temp – Indicates engine coolant temperature. At normal operating temperature, the level indicator will be white and will be in the normal range (between H and C). If the engine coolant temperature exceeds the normal range, the level indicator will change to red to indicate that the engine is overheating. Stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible, turn off the vehicle and let the engine cool. The thermometer indicator next to the gauge will illuminate in blue or white to indicate the following (not available for Energi vehicles): • Blue thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will typically run continuously when the indicator is blue.

Note: During silent key start mode, the thermometer indicator will be blue, but the gasoline engine will not run. This is the result of the vehicle computer allowing the engine to be cooler during the silent key start period. This is normal operation and does not indicate a problem with your vehicle. After the first engine start the indicator will turn white when the gasoline engine is warm enough to turn off.

• White thermometer - This indicates that the hybrid system is warm enough to allow EV operation. If the vehicle operates on battery power long enough, it is possible that the gasoline engine may need to run to keep the system warm. In this case, the thermometer indicator will revert back to blue.

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski, 14 December 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,352 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Learned something new today; thanks Tomasz!

#51 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

To my surprise it only took an half an hour to plugin my ICE Block Heater at the heater plug under the exhaust manifold, so I'm back to 575 Watts now. :) 

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 10 April 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Yesterday I plugged in my ICE Heaters(Block and Oil Pan) and in an hour it from WT 76 to 101*F, TFT 69 to 73*F, IT 73 to 83*F and a SOC of 33% I got 41mpg going 7mi. to work with OT64*F.   Today I had Heaters on for 1 1/2hrs and WT went from 59 to 119*F, it took 1/2mi. to get up to 128*F. SOC was 45% and OT 39*F and I got 45mpg going to work.  SOC does have significant impact mpg's along with WT. :) 

Paul 

#53 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

The coolant temp gauge display does not show a blue thermometer on my C-max when coolant is cold, contrary to the manual and online vids.  Perhaps this went away in some module firmware update.

My 2013 factory block heater quit working this week.  I am hoping it is just the connector at the heater.  In any case it should be under warranty (build 7/2013). 

#54 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

The coolant temp gauge display does not show a blue thermometer on my C-max when coolant is cold, contrary to the manual and online vids.  Perhaps this went away in some module firmware update.

My 2013 factory block heater quit working this week.  I am hoping it is just the connector at the heater.  In any case it should be under warranty (build 7/2013). 

If it is at the block where it unplugged, that can be a challenge to get back on depending what kind of plug arrangement you have. ;)  Good Luck. :) 

Paul 

#55 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 494 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

The changing color thermometer on the dash was removed in the software update that increased the max EV speed to 85 MPH. This software update also changed the operation of the ICE when the coolant is at colder temps which would have necessitated a change in the programming of the blue thermometer.

My parents' C-Max Energi started showing the wrench icon recently. The wrench icon would only appear when they turned on the heat while driving in EV mode & used the electric coolant heater. I checked for codes with FORScan and didn't find anything really telling. They took their C-Max to the dealer & the dealer determined that the block heater was leaking. It was replaced under warranty and they have not had the wrench light since. I have not had the chance to see if they have confirmed that the new EBH works, though.

• ptjones and djc like this

#56 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Last week I found out my ICE block heater was leaking and I think it has been doing it for sometime. I noticed two days in a row that the WT wasn't going up very much with the block heater plugged in and assumed that the plug had come undone. I pulled the cover off to find coolant dripping from block heater plug, the plastic piece in the center had started to allow coolant to get by it. :sad:   It is such a big job to install a new one that I decided to put the old plug back in. I bought instead a 250 watt oil pan heater pad off of eBay to go with the 125 watt Model 9 Wolverine oil pan heater pad. I plugged it in this morning for an hour and a half and only saw 25*F rise in temp over OT.  My WT did go up very quickly so apparently the hot oil warmed up the ICE fast. :)  Now I only have 375 Watts vs 575 Watts before, but it still seems to be working fast. :)

250watt OPH.jpg

Model 9 OPH
Oil Pan Heater

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 11 May 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

After a week  of use the two oil pan pads(375watts) is definately not as good as block heater and one oil pan pad(575watts), but it is far easier to install and it does work. :)

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: block heater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·