Hands free hatch not working properly

kechair

Have had this problem from day one. Am about to schedule an apptmt to get this fixed.

When I open the hatch, one of out five times I hear the mechanical lock 'pop' sound, the hatch releases, but the motor does not engage to swing the hatch up. A bit embarrassing when you are trying to show off your brand new car and the cool gizmo thingy doesn't work, not to mention the obvious functional problem.

Doesn't matter if I use my foot, the double press on the key fob, or engage the center console inside button. I went back to the dealer but their 'electrical guy' doesn't work on Saturdays so will have to lug my laptop to the dealer and work from there while they look at it on a weekday.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Another data point, I get the unlocks and doesn't lift more often than not. I kick my foot again and it usually opens. I've only had this problem opening the hatch. I can't remember a time when it didn't close when I kicked.

I don't have any problem with closing either. I haven't had a chance to test this yet but I believe the proximity sensors in the bumper is triggering a stop command. I suspect the open kick must be short and quick to keep from triggering a stop.

If you look at the manual it mentions this.

Opening and Closing the Power Liftgate

Note:The doors must be unlocked to operate the power liftgate.

Note:The liftgate movement direction can be stopped with a second

press of the instrument panel, or the control button on the liftgate, a

second double press of the transmitter button, or by swiping your foot

for hands-free liftgates.

If the engine is running, the liftgate will only operate with the vehicle in

P (Park).

A chime sequence will sound as the liftgate begins to power close.

Another chime sequence indicates a problem with the close request,

caused by:

•the ignition is on and the transmission is not in P (Park), or

•the battery voltage is below the minimum operating voltage, or

•the vehicle speed is at or above 3 mph (5 km/h).

If the liftgate reverses and starts to close after an open request, four

short warning chimes indicate excessive load on the gate or a possible

strut failure. See your authorized dealer if you still have a fast chime

after the load is removed.

To open or close from the instrument panel:Press the

instrument panel button.

Note:The doors must be unlocked.

To open or close with the remote control:Press the remote

control button twice within three seconds.

I don't have problems closing either. Hmmm interesting hypothesis about the proximit sensors. I'm bringing the CMax in tomorrow to Ford so hopefully I'll have something useful to report back soon. Wish me luck. BTW I talked to the sales guy who sold me my car today about the appointment and he mentioned that he's experienced the same thing with other CMax's when demo'ing for potential buyers. Sheesh.

Ugh. Don't know how you can live with that. Really bothers me that it doesn't work me 100% of the time. Ok, I'll def report back once I get it checked out.

ok, OP here. So I don't have great news to report.

I took it back to the dealership today to get the latch checked out.. Left the CMax there all day and the service manager could not resolve the problem despite all efforts and had to special order the latch mechanism. I asked him if he was just going to replace the motor but he said he needed to replace the entire latch due to the fact that the sensor is embedded in the latch. The special order will take a couple of weeks. Let me see - yep, that will be right around Thanksgiving week.

Not a great first Ford experience for me but I still like the car a lot. Hope nothing else fails. Not suggesting that others run to their dealership to get it checked out - but for me, I could not stand the thing working only part of the time.

I've experienced the same problem with my SEL. Here's what I think is happening. There is this note on page 78: "Note: Allow the power system to open the liftgate. Manually pushing or pulling the liftgate may activate the system’s obstacle detection feature and stops the power operation." The interesting part here is the mention of an obstacle detection feature. I don't know if the detection system is actual contact with the liftgate or a proximity detection, but I can get the liftgate to work properly if I make sure I stay away from the bumper area after the double kick. I've noticed that when I do the double kick and then make sure I am away from the bumper area, the liftgate will open. Sometimes I have to repeat the double kick 2 or 3 times. The liftgate will start to lift then stop until I make sure I am away from the bumper and then it will open. Experiment a little with different distances from the bumper when you do the double kick.

Edited by MSmith1915

I think the obstacle detection feature is actual physical contact. Several times I've had to physically stop the liftgate from opening all the way up due to an overhead obstruction. What I do in those instances is to let the power liftgate go up until about a foot from the overhead obstruction, then use my hand to stop the motion. The liftgate detects an obstruction (my hand in this case), stops, then actually 'backs off' ie. lowers itself several inches, then stops altogether. In case you are wondering, everything happens business as usual afterwards, ie. when I press the button to close, it closes normally.

MSmith1915, thanks for sharing your experiences. You are a lot more patient than I am about this. As I said before, I can't stand the power liftgate not working the first time. With all due respect, if I have to kick 2 or 3 times for it to open, it might as well not have opened for me - I would consider this a failure of engineering on Ford's part. It should not be this difficult to have a reliably operating power liftgate.

I read the manual some more and not sure where I (or we) got the double kick idea, but I just tried it a few more times with a single kick and the liftgate seems to work the way it should. Apparently, the second kick of a double kick is stopping the liftgate. So, for all those having problems, try a single kick and see how that works.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually joined this forum to report I figured out what my problem was with hands free opening and closing

I just did not realize it takes one kick to open and TWO kicks to close. So frustration upon mistake upon frustration going nowhere and deciding the car is screwy.

A lot also comes from their safe guards against whacking you in the face or on the head. It's deliberately delayed to let you get out of the way. Ad once it detects some kind of problem it disables itself.

I have learned its system now. And it works for me.

I love my C Max. I actually set out to replace my Prius level V with a new one. Test drove the C Max and was sold. I have had it two weeks. I go out sometimes just to drive it around!

One thing the dealer told me is that you need to stand in the middle of the bumper for the system to work.  If you stand too far to either side, it won't work.   You also have to have the key with you at the back of the car.

This is part of the safety feature to make sure you really want to open it, and to make sure it doesn't open when you don't want it to.

• 3 weeks later...