Camping with CMax & finish the tank at 778 miles

Jus-A-CMax

15511056229_e9bbf03b15_b.jpg

My wife and I decided to go camping in the Santa Ynez valley with a group of friends. This is the 1st time we have taken Maxine (our CMax) to the camp ground. Prior to this, the Jaguar with the Yakima Box on the top had the job.

Loading up Maxine, we found that it had a little less (about a large bag) smaller storage space than the 2007 Jaguar VandenPlas with the large Yakima box. While the wifey was clearly dissapointed she could not take that final kitchen sink ;) ...thank goodness she never reads my posts.... :dance:  it was still amazing a wee car like the CMax has -jus about- as much room as a luxurious long wheel base limousine with an extra large storage box. So we packed Maxine to the hilt...

The drive to the camp ground was freeway and highways. Maxine is a STELLAR city girl, her MPGs are high. However, its been a while (well, last winter really)  that we really stressed Maxine with a full load and freeway conditions.

Getting to the camp ground was about 100 miles one way. 118 freeway down to Simi, cut through the Los Angeles Highway along the agricultural farmlands to Ventura and then take the 101 Freewy north and then at Santa Barbara, cut north up through the San Marco Pass and down to the camp ground.

I did pretty good MPGs (57.4MPGs over 87 miles) from our house to McDees at Santa Barbara, had a brief pitstop for the wifey and I got some McDee fries.

Then the dreaded climb over the San Marcos Pass, got tailed by a CHP for a wee while and then CalTrans had road work where they made the road into a single lane. I hated this, as it was up hill and a ton of cars behind me - all eager to race up the hill...thank you CalTrans...and finally got to the camp ground with 51.1MPG over 101 miles. Burnt a ton of gas climbing. Luckily, the wifey managed to avoid pressing the all time MPG killer....the AC. Thank you weather for the cool mid morning drive.

Got to the camp ground, and we unloaded and set up the Taj Mahal. Here are some pics of Maxine fully loaded:

15511546698_1ec169b1de_z.jpg
15511745047_5d237005b3_z.jpg

Parked in front of our Coleman Taj Mahal:
15076985524_604906be2e_z.jpg

Some fine Tri Tip for dinner with friends:
15673219826_7da9930500_z.jpg

What is camping without a nice log fire?
15512129490_03b444222f_z.jpg

We more or less stayed around the camp ground but I did get a chance to drive around the area with some horse failities and dirt road. Saw some NICE sunsets and cool mountains...
15696931515_b356f362d5_z.jpg

15698532652_49c40f86fd_z.jpg

The weekend, like all weekends, was jus WAY TOO SHORT and soon it was time to head home. This time, the temps were mid 80s and the AC was on all the way home...climb up San Marcos Pass again but thankfully, CalTrans was not there. This was the final MPG and miles when I pulled into the garage:

15673220576_ee669b446f_z.jpg

I sux.

...but the sad part was that 1/3 of my tank was gone and all I had left was tbe boring drive to work.

But as our CMax Hypermiling Family know, MPGs are fun...and my personal challenge this time was to see how much I could squeeze out of the remaining 2/3 tank which was all city driving and I finished with this:

15695024101_a67b39f6f6_z.jpg

Ok...not quite 800 mile tank but thats almost impossible with 1/3 of the tank all gone. However, I was surprised by the 778 miles as my calculations predicted a 750-760 tank....but Maxine is full of suprises to finish at 778 to the Costco gas. Amazing how lil she drinks gas.... :victory:

So, it is possible to go camping, drive the freeway, use AC, go climb Pass, back to the work driving and stil post a huge tank in a car rated as 40MPG combined.

Would anyone like some jam with that Toast, anyone?

:)

Cool, a fellow SoCal Max driver. Yeah, going up is bear but its oh so sweet to come down in EV and full batts. Santa Ynez is a really nice area, luv the scenery and winery. 

Mine is an Energi, but at those distances the the two vehicles are pretty much the same - except you have more cargo room in the C-Max.

Looks like a wonderful trip Jus, and safe to say your wifey is the master of space maximization LOL.  Using every inch of cargo space in Maxine.  Those tri-tips looked incredible, now I want steak for dinner :drool: got a nice char going on those beauty's too.

I have been keeping Maxus in the low to mid 46 range for the last few weeks.  Suddenly 45's were easy to get and then the 46's started popping up.

Edited by mtb9153

Looks like a wonderful trip Jus, and safe to say your wifey is the master of space maximization LOL.  Using every inch of cargo space in Maxine.  Those tri-tips looked incredible, now I want steak for dinner :drool: got a nice char going on those beauty's too.

I have been keeping Maxus in the low to mid 46 range for the last few weeks.  Suddenly 45's were easy to get and then the 46's started popping up.

Its so funny....my wifey was here in my office when we read your post. She smiled at your post - she is a wonderful packer indeed.

Great Trip!!  What was your average speed on the highway.  I seem to get only 45 MPG at 65-70.

Thanks

Thats pretty good for those speeds but I assume this is all eco-cruise? For me, highway is Los Angeles and speed varies between 40 and 55 (if I recall), I stuck to the speed limit or a tad above, I had traffic behind me since its single carriageway. For the Freeway, I varied between 60 to 68 because of P&G or I would throw it into eco-cruise if I knew I am up slope.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Maxine sure enjoyed her camping trip. Thanks for sharing

Wow on the mileage!

Great pictures as well!

Now about that kitchen sink... I can live without the sink but might need the MW and Vitamix. Just kidding but I thought about it.

Phantom has been cold recently so her mileage is down. She was happy to stretch out on the highway the other day.

I can live without the sink but might need the MW and Vitamix. Just kidding but I thought about it.

I resemble that remark! :stirpot:  I always take my Vitamix with me on the road. I brought it along when I drove to North Carolina, and I brought it on this year's trip to New England. It let me stay healthy while on the road for a month and a half. I never miss a day.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/vitamix/2816873