C-Maxes are going CHEAP right now

SPL Tech

I have noticed that the depreciation on the C-Max seems to be through the roof. I have found countless ads on Autotrader, eBay, Car Gurus, ect for 2013 SEs for under $17,000 with a clean title and reasonable miles. I even found a few that were around $16,000 and under 20,000 miles. They all have clean titles.

Here are some examples:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=58601&endYear=2015&modelCode1=FOCMAX&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=77853&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FORD&searchRadius=0&mmt=[FORD[FOCMAX[]][]]&listingId=380171324&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=58601&endYear=2015&modelCode1=FOCMAX&sortBy=distanceASC&showcaseOwnerId=77853&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FORD&searchRadius=0&mmt=[FORD[FOCMAX[]][]]&listingId=382331808&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=58601&endYear=2015&modelCode1=FOCMAX&showcaseOwnerId=77853&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FORD&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=17000&mmt=[FORD[FOCMAX[]][]]&listingId=383366122&Log=0

And it goes on and on. These cars are almost new and they are going for $10,000+ off sticker price. For reference, I searched other similar cars like the Prius and Prius V and I cant find nearly as good of a deal. So what gives? Is the market for the CMAX really that bad that no one can sell these things?

I looked up the KBB values and it seems that about $5,000 per year depreciation is typical. For reference, a 2013 with 36,000 miles KBB fair purchase price from a retailer is $15,223, but an original MSRP of around $25,500.

Edited by SPL Tech

On a side note, anyone know if KBB retail values ever increase with time? I know right now is the off season, which could explain good deals. But the deals arnt actually that amazing, it's just the KBB retail is really low on the car making for good deals. In the spring, dealers sell way more cars. But would it stand to reason if the retail of the 2013 is say $16,000 for a given mileage now, that in the spring it will be even lower, or does the retail ever increase on the KBB website?

Lets face it folks, when a car has low demand the resale prices are also going to be low. There's just not enough people clamoring for a car most of them don't even know exists. I paid too much in Feb 2013 for it and expect to not get a lot for it when I sell it. So it goes. Maybe I'll do better on the next one.... hope springs eternal!

I keep my cars about 10yrs. Thats when I start having too my problems  to keep up with. Time to get a new one. Hope that my Maxie will last that long. I think it will because of the electric motor the gas engine doesn't have to run as much or as hard. The batteries are another matter. I know I will have to replace them by that time so i will trade up to the latest and greatest. Hopefully double my milage or go totally EV by then.

I think a $4k to $5k loss in value is normal for many cars in the first year.  Then it tapers off.  I went back to the dealer with my xB a little more than year after I bought it and they offered me $7k less then I paid.  The resale on this car is listed as one of the best in it's class.  Now that was the dealer talking about trade in but it was still a lot more than I thought.  

I paid $21,800 for my SE new (2014) and I could have got another $1k off if I worked for Ford and another $1k off if I had a lease for another brand of car.  So under $17K for a used SE does sound about right to me.  Cars almost always lose a lot of money.  One of the reasons I don't get them loaded up.   

• 2 weeks later...

+1

umm, everyone does? So you are saying if you spend $26k on your new car and the next day it's worth $5, you dont mind? Well sorry, but 99% of people would very much mind. No one likes getting ripped off, and no one likes buying something expensive that is quickly worth nothing.

Edited by SPL Tech

Nope, don't mind one whit.

I take it you're young, or at least don't have quite the same world view, but if you start worrying about what "value" things have that is strictly judged by the money it costs for them you lose out quite a bit on life.  Things are sometimes more precious than gold (literally) because how you define value basically helps you define life.

For example, lots of folks want a lot of money in the bank -- working hard to make that much makes them happy.  But as I always say, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, which is what I do (well, at least in terms of trying to make money :>).  I sit around all day by the pool, or play tennis and I'm living life as large as I really want to live it.  Could I be working my ass off to make more money?  Of course I could, but that wouldn't make my life any better than it is.  I worked just as hard as I needed to in order to get to where I am today, but trust me, I could have made FAR more money if I had wanted to work harder (or longer).  

However, that's not true for everyone -- every single person needs to decide how much value they place on material things and what that means.  To me the C-Max has a value WAY above what I could get if I chose to sell it.  It makes me happier than owning a car that would cost ten times as much.  So if tomorrow someone says it's worth $5 so what?  (Actually, I might buy another for my wife then :>).

Also (not to belabor a point because I suspect you and I just don't have the same viewpoint on life and that's okay -- we will never agree), it amuses me when folks ask my advice about computers or video (my two areas of expertise) and then say something along the lines of "well, I'd buy something now but it will go down in price if I wait."  While that is usually true with those technologies the sad fact is they are actually losing value by not enjoying their device now.  They will *never* be happy because prices will keep going down and there is no one time to buy something.

If you are happy with what you have, with what you paid for at the time, why in heck *should* you care what it costs tomorrow?  By the same token, if it goes up in price it shouldn't increase your happiness any.  If my C-Max was suddenly worth twice what it cost me so what?  It wouldn't make driving it any better (actually, it would make it worse, because then I might start worrying about folks stealing it).  Is your mpg going to increase or decrease based on the value of your car?

But, like I say, I doubt whether you and I will ever agree.  That's okay -- but nearly everyone I know feels as I do about the value of things (then again, I only really know old folks so it's not a good sample size.  I'm sure young people are much more concerned about pricing and such, particularly if they end up trading in their rides.  I will most likely be dead before my Max is <g>).

I dont believe you.  Would you feel the same way about your house?  Yea you don't if you dont have to cash out but sometimes you do when you least expect it.  Here is where its important:

• Your in an accident and the insurance company pays it off at market value.
  • You want to trade up.

Trade up is a s*cker loss, private party sale but you have to work it a wee bit more. New cars, 99.9% as soon as it leaves the show room, you automatically lose money. Cars are not money keepers unless you buy a classic and NEVER drive it, or do the granny thing with around the block. 

Also, unless you know you overpaid for the car in the 1st place, I would not be concerned over loss of value. One car crash will ding it more and in this City of Angels, there are lunatics here and hence we pay more for insurance. If you want better replacement value for total write off, go sign up with Liberty. In life you pay for everything, hence their rate - I suspect - will be higher than most insurance companies.

Enjoy the CMax for what it is. Notch up another 700+ mile tank with with 1/3 tank used for freeway, gotta  :flirt:  tahat  ;)

Yeah, and I feel *exactly* the same way about my house, with good experience -- I bought in Florida during the boom years and three years later it was worth only half what I paid for it.

Guess what?  I love it even better (for one thing, my taxes are less than half what I was paying before).  This is the last place I live in before I move six feet deeper in the earth, and I don't care if it's worth one red cent to anyone but me and my wife.  (Oh, cheaper it is the cheaper my insurance is as well -- got to love depreciation!)

Oh, and I think we've talked about insurance elsewhere in another thread, but basically car insurance is a rip off anyway.  You can't break even, no matter what you do (personally, I believe in carrying the minimum the law lets you get away with).

Remember, the insurance companies are betting against you -- and just like Vegas, they ALWAYS win (because they get the house odds).

I dont believe you.  Would you feel the same way about your house?  Yea you don't if you dont have to cash out but sometimes you do when you least expect it.  Here is where its important:

• Your in an accident and the insurance company pays it off at market value.
  • You want to trade up.

In general, I agree with Kellytoons but I understand that others might not.  It's about ones risk tolerance and managing the risk.

Some can "afford" to not worry about "what's my car worth."  Some can't afford not to worry.  I expect to lose value after an accident (car being totaled or repaired).   If I were worried by trading up in a few years, I likely would have leased to lock-in the residual at the time of purchase.    Since we had no basis for what C-Max future values might be, ones financial risk tolerance and concerns should be taken into account in ones initial purchasing and financing decisions.  Hence, the reason some likely lease, buy gap insurance, extended warranties, purchase lower end models, and so forth.  

IMO, comparing car values with housing values is not an appropriate comparison.  I don't view a car as an investment as I do a house.  Yes, I'd like the resale value of my C-Max and house to be high but cars with the higher trade values after 5 years are worth about 50%+ of MSRP .  The worst are near 30% after 5 years.  It looks like the C-Max may come in around the middle.  I know getting only 40% in 5 years on trade is not what one expected when buying a C-Max but that's fairly typical.  But, keep the car another 3-5 years and 'What's my car worth" becomes virtually moot.

Depreciation is only one factor in the cost of vehicle ownership.

Intellichoice.com rates the 2013 C-MAX SE as Excellent for 5-year cost of ownership.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2013-50058-0/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-se-4dr-wagon.html

2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL is rated Above Average for 5-year cost of ownership.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2013-52053-0/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-sel-4dr-wagon.html

2014 C-MAX SE as Excellent for 5-year cost of ownership.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2014-53473-0/2014-ford-c-max-hybrid-se-4dr-wagon.html

2014 C-MAX Hybrid SEL is rated Above Average for 5-year cost of ownership.

http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2014-53475-0/2014-ford-c-max-hybrid-sel-4dr-wagon.html

2015 C-MAX models show 'Insufficient Data'

umm, everyone does? So you are saying if you spend $26k on your new car and the next day it's worth $5, you dont mind? Well sorry, but 99% of people would very much mind. No one likes getting ripped off, and no one likes buying something expensive that is quickly worth nothing.

I don't plan to sell my C-Max. Unless I change my mind, the typical price of the car has no meaning. It's value is in the utility it gives me.

Buy high, sell low never worked for me.  ;)   Buy high :spend: (2-5 k loss), trade in early  :spend:(2-5 k loss), repurchase alternative  :spend: (2-5k loss); zingo there goes 5 to 15k pooooof in two years.  (Territory for deep pockets, or serious experts only)

As has been said, it is the same for about 99% of all new cars, they lose significant value driving off the lot.  Far better to buy used if you can't take the heat (financial risk) in the new car kitchen !!!  Yes they are an 'investment' - lifestyle, utility, work, 'saving the planet' ...................and generally speaking a 'losing' one if not planned carefully (not just talking $$$).  Our best car (used, of course) cost $4,000 and we sold it for $8,000 15+- years later without putting major work into it.

Key here is the word hybrid.  Purchased carefully, they have proven to be good 'investments' thanks to Toyota, Ford & Honda.  That means low upkeep and long life.  Buying for the short term  :spend: only passes value on to the second owner - hmmmm, OK, a rather benevolent gesture if so intended. :)

And we all know who has the best hybrid package out there over the last two three years - with space, speed, safety, ride, range, drivability ........... (& it is beautiful too!)..................the C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Energi by far !!! 

Nick

(Yes indeed, some great prices out there right now on a brilliant car)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Key here is the word hybrid.  Purchased carefully, they have proven to be good 'investments' thanks to Toyota, Ford & Honda.  That means low upkeep and long life.  Buying for the short term  :spend: only passes value on to the second owner - hmmmm, OK, a rather benevolent gesture if so intended. :)

And we all know who has the best hybrid package out there over the last two three years - with space, speed, safety, ride, range, drivability ........... (& it is beautiful too!)..................the C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Energi by far !!! 

Nick

(Yes indeed, some great prices out there right now on a brilliant car)

...does this mean I should stop pining for the :detective: 2015 Prii aka CMax killer  :sandman:

• 2 weeks later...