C-Maxes are going CHEAP right now

SPL Tech

Just looked at Kelley (ought to remember that name) Blue Book and a 2013 SE C-Max with 20K is going for around 13-14K depending on condition.  So the dealer isn't offering you any deal on that lemon bought back vehicle.

Personally I'd counter with 11K as my FINAL offer and if he hems and haws I'd lower it to an even 10K and walk away (you can always tell him "Good luck selling a car bought back under lemon law, particularly considering how many folks are still not happy with their battery problem solutions" and even print out a few of the forum threads here to that affect).  At 10K or so even *I* would buy that car (but at the price he's offering you I'd run and not walk away).

Or, if he's real touchy about offering you any better price, say you'll take the car with a three year, 36000 mile warranty.  Again, he's trying to sell a car with a known problem that probably was NOT fixed (and it sounds like they don't even have a clue about it).  As long as the price and/or warranty is good, you are as well.  If not -- you can find better deals elsewhere.

what do you think about a "reacquired" 2013 selling for $13600 with a 12 month 12k warranty?  JIm

If the car has less than 36K / 3 years, you could probably still get the extended warranty. Cost a couple grand with zero deductable, but it would provide 125K / 7 years of peace of mind. Combine that with a low price and it could work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought lemon buybacks still come with the full manufacturer warranty, no? I was looking at one and the salesman told me it comes with a 12 month/ 12k warranty through the dealer AND the full OEM warranty. If Ford is confident they fixed the problem, there is no reason why they should void the warranty for a non-salvage buyback.

• 1 month later...

I am really considering buying a C-Max, but I have serious concerns over reliability. I am seeing some very good deals on CARMAX and similar sites. I am SO GLAD that I didn't have the money to purchase one when I first discovered it. (I went in to look at a Mustang and walked out wanting a C-Max.)

I have had a Suzuki Aerio SX AWD for the last 12 years and it has served me well. It has a similar European profile and hatchback body style. I plan on driving it till AWD is no longer an issue here in Northeastern PA. So I may be looking at a used 2014 and not a 2013.

I am still considering whether an Energi is worth it for me. I work 8 miles from the house.

But I did just see and sit in a new Nissan Murano and as my SNL favorites would say... SHAWINNNG!

I feel bad for all the folks who paid top dollar for their C-Maxs - as I did for my Aerio 12 years ago... but feel gratitude that I am on the receiving end of this particular automotive market swing.

Good deal and CARMAX should never be used in the same sentence. I very strongly doubt you are finding good deals on any car on CARMAX. When I bought my SEL I found a nearly identical SEL in CARMAX for $8000 over what I paid for mine, excluding their BS shipping charges. Look up True Car. That's the site I found my SEL on.

I am really considering buying a C-Max, but I have serious concerns over reliability. I am seeing some very good deals on CARMAX and similar sites. I am SO GLAD that I didn't have the money to purchase one when I first discovered it. (I went in to look at a Mustang and walked out wanting a C-Max.)

I have had a Suzuki Aerio SX AWD for the last 12 years and it has served me well. It has a similar European profile and hatchback body style. I plan on driving it till AWD is no longer an issue here in Northeastern PA. So I may be looking at a used 2014 and not a 2013.

I am still considering whether an Energi is worth it for me. I work 8 miles from the house.

But I did just see and sit in a new Nissan Murano and as my SNL favorites would say... SHAWINNNG!

I feel bad for all the folks who paid top dollar for their C-Maxs - as I did for my Aerio 12 years ago... but feel gratitude that I am on the receiving end of this particular automotive market swing.

Re. the Energi: 

You would do your round trip commute completely in EV mode.  I do that and only use only 1 to 2 tanks of gas a year.

With tax rebate(s) and discounts you can probably buy the (SEL) Energi for same price as SEL Hybrid - or even less.

(I did, and may others have posted the same.)

Energi owners post far fewer reliability problems.

Energi delivers more power to the electric motor than the Hybrid does (about 30 HP more, as I recall).

With the Energi, you do have to sacrifice about 4 or 5 cubic feet of cargo space for the larger batteries.

(Several have posted here that this is an absolute deal killer.  For others of us it is not a problem.)

Edited by Smiling Jack

Re. the Energi: 

You would do your round trip commute completely in EV mode.  I do that and only use only 1 to 2 tanks of gas a year.

With tax rebate(s) and discounts you can probably buy the (SEL) Energi for same price as SEL Hybrid - or even less.

(I did, and may others have posted the same.)

Energi owners post far fewer reliability problems.

Energi delivers more power to the electric motor than the Hybrid does (about 30 HP more, as I recall).

With the Energi, you do have to sacrifice about 4 or 5 cubic feet of cargo space for the larger batteries.

(Several have posted here that this is an absolute deal killer.  For others of us it is not a problem.)

The Energi is a great car but no need to guess (especially optimistically :)) at the specs.  It's 7 HP more for the Energi in charge depletion mode according to the 2015 specs.  Otherwise, the HP is the same as the Hybrid in charge sustain mode.

I would have likely bought the Energi but when I made my purchase in Dec. 2012, the overall after tax cost of the Energi would have been over $2 k more and the cargo area is small to begin with in the Hybrid.  I think I would have been disappointed with the Energi cargo area as the extra height in Hybrid allows larger items like a clothes washer to barely clear in the Hybrid which would be a no-go in the Energi.

MBR, if I had an 8 miles commute, I'd get the Energi.  In the winter in PA, the Hybrid FE will drop significantly especially for an 8 mile commute. So, with the Energi, you'll be able to save even more on fuel and be able to heat the cabin with cheap power from your local utility rather than expensive gasoline.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Or if neither cargo space nor price is a bIg deal, look at the Fusion Energi.

Now that is a really SHARP LOOKING RIDE !!!

Agreed!

The poor-man's Aston Martin?!    

I considered it, but I was trading in a monster sedan and it was a pain to park.  The Fusion is 20 inches longer than the C-max.

I came from a Volvo 940. The C-Max is 16" shorter, with 5" less wheelbase, but the Volvo will run rings around a C-Max. FWD and tight turning circles do not go together!

Old and new, 20 years apart

I'd wager the Fusion's no worse than a C-Max. I had one as a loaner and didn't notice a difference. Far more curb appeal, but I'm spoiled by the cargo space and the excellent driving position.

HAve fun,

Frank

......................Fusion ..................... Far more curb appeal, but I'm spoiled by the cargo space and the excellent driving position.

Agree Fusion is very handsome, but............. for me beauty and function are inextricable and our C-Max has gotten more beautiful/handsome by the day, and my view of the Fusion slightly less favorable over time.   

Just MHO, and/or time heals or fogs, not sure which. ;)

Nick

Just Say No - to sedans that is !!!

Edited by C-MaxSea

I think the Fusion looks OK but I really like the open feeling of the C-Max cabin... I just test drove a used CM Hybrid at a local dealership this weekend. It felt ok. 23,000 miles and they wanted 18,900 before haggling. But it was an SE and I had wanted an SEL with everything.

They also had a 2015 Mustang convertible there. Holy Cow have they made a fantastic looking interior on that thing. It was sooo tempting... but in my heart I hug trees, so I will keep looking for a C-Max...

Is active noise cancellation on every C-Max or is it only on some levels with some radios?

When Ford first promoted the car they claimed much higher MPG than it actually does..if people bought into that and were disappointed, that would explain why there are many used vehicles at much lower prices.  Also the early SE's seem to have a 12V battery discharge issue..I'm still not sure if that's sorted out 100%.

The other thing is, if I hadn't driven a few of them as fleet vehicles for work, I would've never even known this model existed up until a few months ago when they started to run more advertising - and I still see way more ads for Escapes and Focuses than C-MAX..

People around here don't like the word "hybrid" for some reason, but I love them .. I think they are just more fun to drive.

Since I had an oppertunity to use some of them as part of the fleet I knew what MPGs to expect, it doesn't get as good mileage as my Prius sedan used to (routinely in the 50MPG range), but it's a nice cross-over, with plenty of power, handles well in the snow and the MPG is still good for a car in this class.  I was able to find a Prius V for $19K but when I test drove it the car had no acceleration power.

The C-MAX has plenty of power and think uses the battery pack more aggressively than the Toyota implementation.  Ford decided to try Lithium Ion packs in this generation vs. Toyota was still using NiMH packs..that and the Prius V is basically the same drivetrain as the sedan, with extra weight..

I bought the SEL for basically $11K off and I love the extra features ..you don't get a panoramic roof in too many cars for $20K ..

Traded in the Prius Sedan and HHR because I was tired of having to take care of two cars, and got something that sort of melded the two together..

My friend bought a $65K Mercedes crossover and he can't believe that my car has almost all of the features in his, plus gets 42MPG .. and actually his doesn't have dual climate control.

Edited by jestevens

:congrats: jestevens, great deal :hat_tip:!  Couldn't agree more on all of the great features available for the C-Max, even as far back in ancient times as 2012.  Our friends 2015 MB is missing many of them and cost a good 15-20k more :spend:. (they were drooling over our pano roof last weekend  :drool: They're not thrilled about their expensive oil changes either) 

Not to mention the :superhero: :superhero: :superhero: power !

Maxed on C-Maxes

Nick  :skateboard:

Edited by C-MaxSea

My friend bought a $65K Mercedes crossover and he can't believe that my car has almost all of the features in his, plus gets 42MPG .. and actually his doesn't have dual climate control.

Hard to believe his doesn't have dual climate. But he should have bought a BlueTech Diesel - it would have gotten much better mileage.

• 3 weeks later...

If you think C-Maxs are going cheap, here's most recent data from Manheim on the Nissan Leaf.   Let's say the average 2013 leaf after federal tax credit (excluding sales tax and the like) was purchased for $25 k and you want to trade it with 16 k miles on it.  You'll likely take an $11 k hit.   Estimated retail price would be around $17 k. 

2013_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_3-10-15.jpg

In the Old West, those folks were called "Pioneers" and, if they survived had the physical scars to prove it.

Nowdays, it's euphemistically called the "Early Adopter Tax" and it comes standard with every bleeding-edge tech product. You have the opportunity to finish debugging what the developers didn't discover before the product shipped, and pay a premium price for the privilege. And you'll likely meet some great tech support people along the way!

Here's a Certified Used 2012 Leaf SV with less than 18,000 miles being sold by a Nissan dealer for under 14K. OUCH!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46204&endYear=2016&modelCode1=LEAF&showcaseOwnerId=69432855&startYear=1981&makeCode1=NISSAN&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=50&mmt=%5BNISSAN%5BLEAF%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=387424886&Log=0

Edited by kostby