Oil changes / synthetic oil?

SPL Tech

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I asked my dealer for 0W20 full synthetic, they drove down the street and purchased house-brand oil from an auto parts store. Not what I expected... they left the 6th bottle in the box.

Choose to make the choice, or you never know what you might get.

Have fun,

Frank

For warranty purposes the oil must meet or exceed Ford Spec.:

WSS-M2C945-A (Motorcraft 5W20 Blend or Full Synthetic) 

WSS-M2C947-A (Motorcraft 0W20 Blend)

Not true.  Your warranty is fine as long as you use a 0w-20 "SN" oil with the API symbol on the bottle/jug.  The owner's manual (2015) says :

"Motor oils of the

recommended viscosity grade that meet
API SN requirements and display the API
Certification Mark for gasoline engines are
also acceptable. Do not use oil labeled
with API SN service category unless the
label also displays the API certification
mark."

Insider Tip:  Ford's WSS-M2C947-A spec is a weak spec, not very strong at all.  Forget about it.

We can do better.  Better to use a "dexos1" spec 0w-20 instead, and just about ANY 0w-20 you find on the shelves at Walmart is dexos1-qualified.  The dexos1 spec is a tougher spec to meet, requiring the oil to leave less piston deposits, among many other superior test results like low-wear, anti-foaming, etc., all performance we want in an oil.  (All dexos1 oils also exceed the lesser SN GF-5 performance levels BTW.)

So dexos1 is really all you need to know, as it includes all the lesser, lower specs like SN, GF-5, & WSS-M2C947 already.  
Simply look for dexos1 and "0w-20".

If you're an engineer like me and kind of enjoy reading what a dexos1 oil has to do to perform, read https://www.aftonchemical.com/Lists/Brochure/Attachments/40/Specification_Handbook.pdf .

Another insider tip:   Oil filter to use is Fram Ultra XG3614 (walmart, amazon, other places), as it traps the smallest particles of any filter I've seen, uses synthetic media with wire backing for durability, & uses silicon rubber for the ADBV.  Be a geek and google ISO 4548-12 with Fram Ultra oil filter if you want to kill some time.

I am near due for my next oil change, and I want to go back to 0W20. I am definitely having reduced fuel economy since going with the standard oil used by the dealer. I only switched because the previous oil change had an extra $70 premium on it when I requested the 0W20.

I'd like to buy my 0W20 oil--I am thinking Mobil 1, but I am open to suggestions--and bring it to the dealer, paying for the labor when I do my 10,000 service. Has anyone ever done something like that before? How did it turn out? Did the dealer try to balk or decline, saying that they wouldn't be responsible for engine failure after using your store bought oil, even if it is the approved grade?

Thanks.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

I am near due for my next oil change, and I want to go back to 0W20. I am definitely having reduced fuel economy since going with the standard oil used by the dealer. I only switched because the previous oil change had an extra $70 premium on it when I requested the 0W20.

I'd like to buy my 0W20 oil--I am thinking Mobil 1, but I am open to suggestions--and bring it to the dealer, paying for the labor when I do my 10,000 service. Has anyone ever done something like that before? How did it turn out? Did the dealer try to balk or decline, saying that they wouldn't be responsible for engine failure after using your store bought oil, even if it is the approved grade?

Thanks.

I can't answer the question directly for a dealer but an independent shop generally will allow you to bring your own parts.   I think it depends on the dealer.   They do offer the product so they might say no.   Any dealer or shop that allows this will generally add cost to the job.   I worked at a shop for many years.   The shop would look at it as we make money on our parts so if you bring your own we still want to make money on those.   So it can be good for both if you can get the oil at a great rate.   Generally parts are not discounted very well at the shop level.   I could walk in off the street and buy parts for the same price as the shop paid for them.   The benefit for the shop is that parts are delivered to them.  Then the price is marked up I think it was 25% to the customer.  

You could also just talk to the dealer and ask them if they can do anything to get the price down some for you.   Some will match competitive prices in the area too.   

I know it does not answer your question directly but I hope that helps.

Thanks.

I'd skip the dealer entirely.  I buy my Mobil 1 0w-20 at WalMart in a  5 quart jug.  I'll either change it myself or take it to my independent mechanic and pay him $10 to change it.

I stay away from the dealer if possible.  I have about a 5% satisfaction rate with any department of any dealer I've dealt with.  I have exactly one Toyota dealer I like and they're about 70 miles away and I haven't been there in years.

Just got Max back from the dealer last week and was told flat out that I was wrong, there was nothing wrong with my GPS showing my car off to the side of roads that haven't moved in a hundred years.  But was also repeatedly told that I NEEDED new $188 maps...

I'd skip the dealer entirely.  I buy my Mobil 1 0w-20 at WalMart in a  5 quart jug.  I'll either change it myself or take it to my independent mechanic and pay him $10 to change it.

I stay away from the dealer if possible.  I have about a 5% satisfaction rate with any department of any dealer I've dealt with.  I have exactly one Toyota dealer I like and they're about 70 miles away and I haven't been there in years.

Just got Max back from the dealer last week and was told flat out that I was wrong, there was nothing wrong with my GPS showing my car off to the side of roads that haven't moved in a hundred years.  But was also repeatedly told that I NEEDED new $188 maps...

Depends on the dealer. I've had nothing but great service from Galpin Ford here in the LA area. When under warranty, I always use the dealer for service. It simplifies things if any warranty repairs come up. But also, I prefer taking my hybrid to a dealer who knows the technology. I had an Escape Hybrid before the C-Max Energi, and my dealer has been servicing hybrids for 11 years.

YMMV, I know, but it just depends on the dealer.

Depends on the dealer. I've had nothing but great service from Galpin Ford here in the LA area. When under warranty, I always use the dealer for service. It simplifies things if any warranty repairs come up. But also, I prefer taking my hybrid to a dealer who knows the technology. I had an Escape Hybrid before the C-Max Energi, and my dealer has been servicing hybrids for 11 years.

YMMV, I know, but it just depends on the dealer.

I agree completely.  If you've got a good dealer who knows what they are doing and does a good job and doesn't try to overcharge you for everything they possibly can then I'd definitely go with them.

The trouble is finding such a dealer...  I have a lead on one possibility I hadn't thought of.  Though it would also mean I'll be driving about 70 miles to go to the dealer when I have 2 dealers within 10 miles.

Though, that said, even under warranty with a good dealer, I wouldn't have the dealer change the oil unless it was free or otherwise cheaper/more convenient.  There's nothing complicated or warranty violating by having it done elsewhere or by yourself.

I agree completely.  If you've got a good dealer who knows what they are doing and does a good job and doesn't try to overcharge you for everything they possibly can then I'd definitely go with them.

The trouble is finding such a dealer...  I have a lead on one possibility I hadn't thought of.  Though it would also mean I'll be driving about 70 miles to go to the dealer when I have 2 dealers within 10 miles.

Though, that said, even under warranty with a good dealer, I wouldn't have the dealer change the oil unless it was free or otherwise cheaper/more convenient.  There's nothing complicated or warranty violating by having it done elsewhere or by yourself.

Doesn't violate the warranty to have it done elsewhere, but if the service is done at the Ford dealer everything is already documented in their computer, simplifying the claims. Plus, I know it is done right.

Doesn't violate the warranty to have it done elsewhere, but if the service is done at the Ford dealer everything is already documented in their computer, simplifying the claims. Plus, I know it is done right.

"Know it is done right".  THAT is the key.  Back to the matter of whether you have a competent dealer.  

My personal experience with most dealers is that I trust them a lot less than independent mechanics.  Even with just changing the oil.  Sales, Service and Parts.  I've heard people in each of those departments spout things that weren't true and they do it the whole time like they know better than anyone else.

"Know it is done right".  THAT is the key.  Back to the matter of whether you have a competent dealer.  

My personal experience with most dealers is that I trust them a lot less than independent mechanics.  Even with just changing the oil.  Sales, Service and Parts.  I've heard people in each of those departments spout things that weren't true and they do it the whole time like they know better than anyone else.

I see you are in western NY. Quite a bit different than here in LA. We have lots of hybrids, and every Ford dealer sells them. My particular dealer is the number one volume Ford seller. Anyway, we have a lot of experienced dealers here.

Edited by stevedebi

Thanks for all of the responses. I have been very satisfied with the service given by my dealer and my service manager. The service manager said that they had to charge for the 0W20 oil because they normally don't stock it, and they had to send out to pick up a batch. He told me that this would happen before doing it, so it was not a surprise on the bill after the fact.

I am okay with them charging for the labor, and even adding on a little something for my provided oil, but $70 gets it to the point where it is worth it to pick it up myself and bring it to them.

I want the dealer to do the work, because I am going to have them perform the 10,000 mile service at that time already. It is just a question of the oil and charge for it.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami