Gas Pods - Latest Lame Scam, or Legit?

SPL Tech

The EPA has tested nearly every one of those "save 20% on fuel" devices out there. Their report: nearly every device is a scam, and those who do work produce benefits barely even measurable.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0057-gas-saving-products

But I read a few people who claim that the pods work. But has there been any form of formal, peer-reviewed academic study by a third party proving the validity of the claims made by the Gas Pods?

Simply put, manufacturers spend millions of dollars to squeeze 1 MPG extra out of their car. So if they could get as much as 10 MPG, as some claim, by putting pods on, why havent they done it? Some claim looks. Have you looked at the Prius? I dont think looks was a factor when Toyota made that car. ;)

So, what's the verdict, scam like 100% of the other devices out there, or legit?

SPL Tech, I've done several "coast down" tests using gas pods and recording data via the OBDII port. Since the testing takes time and I'm satisfied with my findings, I don't plan on doing any more testing.  Here's what I found:

"Snowstorm, I've done coast down on two separate occasions over the last year logging variables with DashCommand.  What I do is to minimize the square of the difference between actual speed and calculated speed.  My intent was to see if I could notice any aero difference among stock, grille covers, and gas pods.  The bottom line is that when I would add the gas pods, the data got worse. The grille covers reduced the Cd.....

With respect to the grille covers, I've also done high speed testing at 70 mph and consistently found an increase in FE over no grille covers.  I'd like to run a series of test in 10 mph decrements. But, again it takes time to run controlled test with recorded data.  It seems obvious that covering the center and bottom grille openings should improve air flow and reduce Cd.  However, it's not obvious how gas pods might help the C-Max.  The C-Max roof contour appears to be an appropriate aero shape and I question how the pods might improve flow on the C-Max.

I would caution against using my data in determining the benefits of grille covers or gas pods. If one gets a "good feeling" from using gas pods or grille covers, then great.  I do believe the gas pods do look better than the grille covers.  ;) :)

I did a tuft test of the C-Max rear airflow. Where most folks put their gas pods, the air flow is close to ideal from the factory. That makes it very unlikely that any change would achieve any beneficial result.  

In a quick test of a competetive product ("Airtabs," developed by NASA Dryden in the early 70's), placement across the rear lip of the roof gave a negative result, and they were removed. In an ideal application, such as the rear edge of a tractor pulling a similar-sized trailer, the proved very effective reducing turbulence caused by the gap between tractor and trailer. Lots of testimonials from truckers and RV owners, none of which applies to the C-Max.

That said, since I had a bunch of these things, now with adhesive removed, I did add them where I thought they might do some good, above and below the rear tail lights (which already have an aero feature molded into them). If there was improvement, I haven't been able to quantify it. There is no question, however, over the efficacy of front grill blocks, or increased tire pressures.

However, the biggest factor in fuel economy remains the driver. Learning how to extract energy from gasoline is as much art as science, and the art is the "art of self control." Regardless the technical knowledge or skill of the driver, self-discipline is the biggest hurdle for most of us.

HAve fun,

Frank

However, the biggest factor in fuel economy remains the driver. Learning how to extract energy from gasoline is as much art as science, and the art is the "art of self control." Regardless the technical knowledge or skill of the driver, self-discipline is the biggest hurdle for most of us.

Yep, I always say "the best way to increase your fuel economy, is to adjust the nut behind the wheel!"  :shift: