Maxus is close to setting a new record for a single tank of gas

mtb9153

I've been working really hard to squeeze out the mpg's with my current tank.  My fuel guage is just slightly above a half tank and trip one is showing 290miles.  This is the highest reading I've ever had for the first half of a tank.  If all goes well on the second half I just might see my second 600 mile tank :happy feet:

thanks for the encouragement Brother Jus.  I really needed the positive words.  Maybe it's the time of the year and family memories come flooding back of wonderful family experiences during the Holidays.  But lately a hole in my spirit has been building as I sit and watch my father disappear with the ravaging effects of Alzheimer's.  Chances are this could be his last year with any knowledge of the joy he has brought to my life and my family these past 61 years.  I miss the man I've called Dad.  Sorry to get so mushy and off topic to this thread. 

paul, we should point the young grasshoppers to the FAQ.... ;)

spl - many of us have done more than 600+ miles a tank on regular basis without blinking an eye and we have over 40K+ on our odos. I think Paul and Matt has the highest odos here. You don't have to run out of gas, its all about knowing the strengths of the CMax, managing your MPG and traffic/terrain/gas situational awareness.  :victory:

mtb - go for it, lets us know how you do  :)

paul, we should point the young grasshoppers to the FAQ.... ;)

spl - many of us have done more than 600+ miles a tank on regular basis without blinking an eye and we have over 40K+ on our odos. I think Paul and Matt has the highest odos here. You don't have to run out of gas, its all about knowing the strengths of the CMax, managing your MPG and traffic/terrain/gas situational awareness.  :victory:

mtb - go for it, lets us know how you do  :)

You dont need to run out of gas to damage the fuel pump. It's well known that running low on fuel can damage the pump, just Google it. Anything below 1/8th tank and you are risking damage to the pump. I am afraid that 40k on your car does not prove much other than you can go 40k on your car. Most of the fuel pump failures I have replaced were instant. Car pulled into the driveway fine, and then next morning it would not start, or the car sputtered at a traffic light, died and would not restart. Fuel pump failure is very common, quite possibly one of the most common things that can go wrong with a vehicle, so it only makes sense not to put the pump at unnecessary risk, especially when there is no real reward for doing so.

Edited by SPL Tech

You dont need to run out of gas to damage the fuel pump. It's well known that running low on fuel can damage the pump, just Google it. Anything below 1/8th tank and you are risking damage to the pump. I am afraid that 40k on your car does not prove much other than you can go 40k on your car. Most of the fuel pump failures I have replaced were instant. Car pulled into the driveway fine, and then next morning it would not start, or the car sputtered at a traffic light, died and would not restart. Fuel pump failure is very common, quite possibly one of the most common things that can go wrong with a vehicle, so it only makes sense not to put the pump at unnecessary risk, especially when there is no real reward for doing so.

I think you are greatly over stating the risk to the fuel pump which comes with a lifetime filter in it. Then you add in that the ICE only runs about 1/2 the miles of the odometer depending on how much CITY vs HWY driving you do. I have 84Kmi. with 46MPG  average and 141 fill ups with no problems. As it turns out Hybrids are very different in many ways from regular ICE vehicles . :)

Paul

For me it has become a challenge to see how many miles I can pull out of that 13.5 gallon tank.  This tank I'm working on is presently up to 540 miles and the yellow warning lite just came on for the first time.  Now I start watching the trip 1 gauge to see where I'm at on gallons remaining.  Presently the gauge says 11.3gals used.  I think I should be safe to take it down to zero with my spare 2 gallon can.  Any other hypermiler taken theirs down to 13 gallons?  Did you run out of gas?  I've only ran Maxus dry once and I don't remember what the gallon read on trip1.  I won't get far past 600 if I'm that lucky but at least it will be my second 600+ tank with under 35k on the odo.

Edited by mtb9153

Any other hypermiler taken theirs down to 13 gallons?  Did you run out of gas?  I'

null_zpsb471adca.jpg

Yes, there is an old and very long thread on this.   It's game over once you get the "triangle of death".  LOL   NOTE: I had fueled up that tank until gas spilled out.  You won't get this much into the tank letting that nozzle "click" off.  

I literally circle the blocks around a station when I was this close but I also carried a fuel can too.  Don't worry, it starts right back up when you refuel it.

Edited by fotomoto

Game Over guys Maxus ran out of gas 2 blocks from my house.  This time was unlike the first time I ran out.  This time the triangle of death came up and the screen said pull over when safe, I had half a full charge battery and as I gave some pedal to make my turn off the road I was traveling there was little power and the steering became difficult almost as if I had no power.  But the battery gauge showed plenty to run on.  This is very different from the first time I ran out.  Well as the picture shows I just made 600miles so I now have 2, 600 mile tanks.  Add me to the honor roll list. :happy feet: :camera: :yahoo:

tn_gallery_177_18_173846.jpg    I also put it in my gallery if this is too small to see?

Edited by mtb9153

It's just a hunch but I think maybe the car switched over to accessory mode.  It's been too long since I've purposely ran out of gas to recall if mine did it too.  I do recall pulling over both times because I was wanting to take pics to document the mileage/fuel use, etc.  

Edited by fotomoto

Game Over guys Maxus ran out of gas 2 blocks from my house.  This time was unlike the first time I ran out.  This time the triangle of death came up and the screen said pull over when safe, I had half a full charge battery and as I gave some pedal to make my turn off the road I was traveling there was little power and the steering became difficult almost as if I had no power.  But the battery gauge showed plenty to run on.  This is very different from the first time I ran out.  Well as the picture shows I just made 600miles so I now have 2, 600 mile tanks.  Add me to the honor roll list. :happy feet: :camera: :yahoo:

tn_gallery_177_18_173846.jpg    I also put it in my gallery if this is too small to see?

You are already in the 600+ Miles CMax Club with the killer 651.5 mile tank on 09/24/13. :congrats:  on your second tank :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus I didn't realize you are only put on the list once, thats why I said add my latest tank.  Sorry my mistake.  Just as well this wasn't as good as my first 600+

Yeah, if I allowed every tank everyone puts in - Post #1 would be huge. So jus give me your MAX tank and I'll see. If you beat your Post #1 tank, you go up the ranks and get a better seat. Make it to the 700 Bar, 800 Bar and 900 Bar - each with less members...not easy to do for most CMax drivers.

Yeah, if I allowed every tank everyone puts in - Post #1 would be huge. So jus give me your MAX tank and I'll see. If you beat your Post #1 tank, you go up the ranks and get a better seat. Make it to the 700 Bar, 800 Bar and 900 Bar - each with less members...not easy to do for most CMax drivers.

I'd love to make it to the 700 level, but honestly I don't think it is possible.  I just don't know how to improve much better than that first 600+ tank.  As you see I didn't supersede it with this attempt.  I need training from the master but God knows when I'll make it to the south land

I'm not sure I see the point of getting a certain mileage out of a tank. You can determine the range by running it down to around a quarter tank, and then taking the actual mileage for that tank and multiplying it by the fuel capacity. To me, the point of the hybrid is to get the best MPG, not the most out of a tank. Just my personal view here, I realize you guys obviously like it for some reason!

I know many folks do it, but we really aren't supposed to let the car run out of gas. The fuel pump is in the gas tank, and depends on having gas in the tank for its cooling.