Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Maxus is close to setting a new record for a single tank of gas

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,533 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Jus I didn't realize you are only put on the list once, thats why I said add my latest tank.  Sorry my mistake.  Just as well this wasn't as good as my first 600+

Edited by mtb9153, 03 December 2014 - 11:38 PM.

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Jus I didn't realize you are only put on the list once, thats why I said add my latest tank.  Sorry my mistake.  Just as well this wasn't as good as my first 600+

Yeah, if I allowed every tank everyone puts in - Post #1 would be huge. So jus give me your MAX tank and I'll see. If you beat your Post #1 tank, you go up the ranks and get a better seat. Make it to the 700 Bar, 800 Bar and 900 Bar - each with less members...not easy to do for most CMax drivers.

#23 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,533 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, if I allowed every tank everyone puts in - Post #1 would be huge. So jus give me your MAX tank and I'll see. If you beat your Post #1 tank, you go up the ranks and get a better seat. Make it to the 700 Bar, 800 Bar and 900 Bar - each with less members...not easy to do for most CMax drivers.

I'd love to make it to the 700 level, but honestly I don't think it is possible.  I just don't know how to improve much better than that first 600+ tank.  As you see I didn't supersede it with this attempt.  I need training from the master but God knows when I'll make it to the south land

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Wnuk

Wnuk

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 117 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Congrats again Mike! Keep pushing your envelope!

#25 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm not sure I see the point of getting a certain mileage out of a tank. You can determine the range by running it down to around a quarter tank, and then taking the actual mileage for that tank and multiplying it by the fuel capacity. To me, the point of the hybrid is to get the best MPG, not the most out of a tank. Just my personal view here, I realize you guys obviously like it for some reason!

I know many folks do it, but we really aren't supposed to let the car run out of gas. The fuel pump is in the gas tank, and depends on having gas in the tank for its cooling.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

steveddebi " The fuel pump is in the gas tank, and depends on having gas in the tank for its cooling."   Fuel pump gets cooling from fuel going thru it, not from siting in it. Also as mentioned before pump stops when ICE stops, No cooling problems here. :)

I think three of my run outs of fuel I went atleast a 1/4mile, did have gas can in car and twice a station was right across the street. :shift:

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:18 AM

The trick is NOT to run out of gas when pulling these big tank miles - not an easy task as you really have to know where you're at, how much gas you are using and traffic conditions permitting it or not. I've only ran out of gas twice and I pull big tank miles all the time driving city. I've not updated my fuelly in a long while otherwise you'll see 800+ after 800+ tanks - without running out of gas. Even my 901 mile tank I did not run out of gas...

Its different for NRG drivers, they jus hook it up but I know NRG drivers who do 2000+ miles on a single gas of tank - nice. Give me an NRG and I can probably do my a great portion of my city driving from San Fernando to Woodland Hills and back nicely in EV. I do 82-90 MPGs jus driving from home to work easily, using 0.22 to 0.25 of gas over 20 miles.

...which is why I wish Ford had given us a means to charge our mere hybrids like the NRGs - that would have been nice and really improve MPGs even if its short EVing. It all helps, imho, but alas.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,236 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

I don't think I have ever had a tank(142) where I have put in less gas then what the Smart Gauge said, but I have put in as much as a gallon more. There does seem to be a correlation with the better your MPG's the more accurate the Smart Gauge is. I do top off all my tanks to stay consistent. Also you really don't know how far you could go on a tank of gas without running out. IMHO :) 

Paul

• C-MaxSea likes this

#29 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

I have seen my gas fillup being less than what was reported in Maxine - rare, I think no more than a handful in the life of Maxine. Yeah, usually its more (anywhere betweem 0.25 to about 0.50 more for me). I don't think I ever had a gallon difference but I don't top up as often unless I know I am going for a long distance tank run. Well, I top up to the nearest quarter dollar jus because of the wifey...

#30 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Its different for NRG drivers, they jus hook it up but I know NRG drivers who do 2000+ miles on a single gas of tank - nice. Give me an NRG and I can probably do my a great portion of my city driving from San Fernando to Woodland Hills and back nicely in EV. I do 82-90 MPGs jus driving from home to work easily, using 0.22 to 0.25 of gas over 20 miles.

...which is why I wish Ford had given us a means to charge our mere hybrids like the NRGs - that would have been nice and really improve MPGs even if its short EVing. It all helps, imho, but alas.

Actually, just for clarification, after 1800 miles the Energi will start the gas engine and run it down to one gallon. This is to ensure the fuel is fresh. That is assuming the tanks has not been filled before that...

#31 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

steveddebi " The fuel pump is in the gas tank, and depends on having gas in the tank for its cooling."   Fuel pump gets cooling from fuel going thru it, not from siting in it. Also as mentioned before pump stops when ICE stops, No cooling problems here. :)

I think three of my run outs of fuel I went atleast a 1/4mile, did have gas can in car and twice a station was right across the street. :shift:

Paul

Paul,

I'd not heard that part. Good to know!

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·