Engine/Transmission Cover Shield

brau5273

Good afternoon.

I heard a dragging/scraping sound recently coming from underneath of my 2013 CMAX Hybrid and when I got down to take a look, I found a piece of the undercarriage had come loose.  I’m not sure how to describe the part other than to say it seems to be made out of egg carton like material and covers the front end undercarriage.

I’m attaching a couple of photographs that I took that will hopefully give a better idea of what I’m talking about.

I’m hoping someone might be able to provide me with some information about this part, such as the part number and/or name and perhaps an idea of the cost to fix/replace it (and whether such repair would be covered under my warranty).  I don't believe it can be repaired as some of the brackets through which the screws go through are broken.

Thank you,

William R.

Reisterstown Maryland

post-2785-0-80351500-1417459795_thumb.jpg

post-2785-0-08230600-1417459798_thumb.jpg

Did anyone work on your car?  Oil change?  To me it looks as if the belly shield was not installed properly.  The leading edge of the shield should be tucked on top of the bottom of the black plastic piece along the front and sides such that air flow does not have access to the leading edge of the shield. It easy to simply screw the shield in without tucking it under.   The photo showing the passenger side shows that the side is still attached but not tucked under.  I suppose it is possible that hitting something pulled it off but where's that damage and how did the side get pulled out with two screws still attached.  The back screw looks perfectly tight but the shield is not tucked underneath.

If someone worked on your car recently, then I'd go and show them the damage caused by improper mounting of the shield. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Hmmm, who did the last oil change?  Me thinks they didn't reattached the splash shield correctly.  The screws are torx heads so maybe someone didn't have the right tool and only hand tightened them or just plain forgot and didn't double check their work.

Anyways..... as homestead said, I'd try using some large flat washers to span any damaged ripped openings.   If you can't repair/reattach it ASAP, you need to remove it completely so more damage doesn't occur.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.  To answer some of the questions that were asked:

- Yes, I've had the oil changed recently.  I will check with the shop that did the change to see if they have anything to say.  

- I've gimmicked it so that it's tucked back up under the frame so it isn't currently dragging or flapping around.

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions.  It is very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.  To answer some of the questions that were asked:

- Yes, I've had the oil changed recently.  I will check with the shop that did the change to see if they have anything to say.  

- I've gimmicked it so that it's tucked back up under the frame so it isn't currently dragging or flapping around.

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions.  It is very much appreciated.

They removed it to gain access and left it loose. IMO, they're responsible for any damages.

My first thought before reading any replies was that someone recently removed the shield to work on the car and they didn't properly reattach it. I hope the oil change place will accept responsibility. Please let us know how it turns out and where the oil was changed so that other owners can be aware.