SYNC 3

rfaunce

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone! 

Since SYNC 3 is all-new hardware and software, it will not be backwards compatible. We will continue to release updates for SYNC and MyFord Touch as needed. For more info on SYNC 3, take a look here:     

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync3/

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

The follow up question is can you buy the 2016 Sync 3 display module and install it in a 2013 or does it require a new cable and PCM as well.

I have no idea if that would be price oppressive but assuming the software is a free upgrade I think we would be curious how expensive the upgrade path is.

Sorry for the delay, zalusky! We won't be offering an aftermarket kit for SYNC 3. I'm not sure exactly what the hardware differences are, but according to my resources, even if you were to somehow purchase a SYNC 3 unit, the dealers will not be able to install it for you. 

I hope that helps! 

Rebecca

What your saying is the 3rd party market won't be able to do this.  To bad!  I guess I will be waiting to see what your 2018/2019 new product has in store.

what about this link (read last paragraph) that someone posted in another thread?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/ford-pairs-with-blackberry/index.htm

WOW, I will be really surprised if that happens.  Maybe if they did this as a cost upgrade?   Just seems like a lot of work on Ford's part. 

I hope they are right. 

I called my dealer and he told me there is no way current owners will get SYNC3 - something about compatibility. I wish I waited a couple of months and bought the 2016 model. Oh well, I just need to get used to microsoft. After all I do have their OS running on my desktop (Win 10 is very appealing and very fast on newer hardware)

Edited by syncmax

• 4 months later...

So how many here LOVE Sync3 compared to MFT? (even the latest version) if you had been able to play with both systems?

How many of you wished you waited for Sync3?

Is Sync3 a deal breaker for any here?

With most of the bad reviews online and in Consumer Reports about the user experience and technology low scores, I think Ford did right to make the system better for the users even though many here and out in Ford owners world loved MFT and found it easy to use/understand. I had no issues with it but I saw the videos on Sync3 and think its pretty cool esp will all the applink stuff.

I had thought they were going to use the Audi based type UI system though, where one site had a rumor about that great system in those cars. maybe down the road?