And this is why it's my last Ford product

valkraider

Arrogance and crappy customer service.

"The upgrade path is a new vehicle," said Don Butler, executive director of connected vehicles and services.

Certainly, Mr. Butler, you are correct. A new vehicle not made by Ford!

My highest trim level, fully loaded, top of the line $38k CMax which is as of today just a couple weeks shy of two years old - has zero options for upgrade path regarding the MFT crappy system.

What is your response, Ford? Basically "tough luck dude, just go buy a new car!"

Let me be perfectly clear. I am not wanting a *free* upgrade path, I don't want or expect gifts or perpetual new features. But my expensive new car is abandonware before the basic warranty expires... That's just lousy Ford.

How about coming up with a program where we could *buy* a new Sync installation? My crappy MFT was a multi thousand dollar add on - make an upgrade available - you replace the screen and the computer unit for an upgrade price or something... I am sure QNX could control my heater and charging schedule just as easily as MicrosoftAuto did...

I could easily appreciate an aftermarket system - Pioneer and Alpine make great units that support CarPlay - but I can't because of the vehicle controls built in to the crappy MyFord Touch. Environmental controls and EV settings are baked in to MFT so I am stuck with a Ford only solution - completely locked out of aftermarket options.

So yeah Ford, my upgrade path new vehicle will not have a blue oval.

"The upgrade path is a new vehicle," said Don Butler, executive director of connected vehicles and services.

My highest trim level, fully loaded, top of the line $38k CMax which is as of today just a couple weeks shy of two years old - has zero options for upgrade path regarding the MFT crappy system.

What is your response, Ford? Basically "tough luck dude, just go buy a new car!"

Let me be perfectly clear. I am not wanting a *free* upgrade path, I don't want or expect gifts or perpetual new features. But my expensive new car is abandonware before the basic warranty expires... That's just lousy Ford.

How about coming up with a program where we could *buy* a new Sync installation? My crappy MFT was a multi thousand dollar add on - make an upgrade available - you replace the screen and the computer unit for an upgrade price or something... I am sure QNX could control my heater and charging schedule just as easily as MicrosoftAuto did...

I could easily appreciate an aftermarket system - Pioneer and Alpine make great units that support CarPlay - but I can't because of the vehicle controls built in to the crappy MyFord Touch. Environmental controls and EV settings are baked in to MFT so I am stuck with a Ford only solution - completely locked out of aftermarket options.

I haven't measured my MFT, but Sync 3 requires an 8" display. Additionally, the entire car stereo / hands free / system is designed around sync. They would have to reprogram a lot of that stuff. I see that you are upset, but in some ways it is no different than any other major component on a new design, such as a new transmission final drive ratio, or engine upgrade.

...in some ways it is no different than any other major component on a new design, such as a new transmission final drive ratio, or engine upgrade.

My thought exactly.

It's not as if they promised you Sync 3 and delivered Sync 2. Car features change, year-over-year. If you want next year's features, wait a year until they come out! Then complain because they discontinue the model you wanted last year rather than upgrade it. There's no limit to your dissatisfaction if you want to be unhappy. Happiness is a choice!!

Have fun,

Frank

Right -- we see this all the time in almost anything, be it electronics, a car, or even a wife.

The moral is: get what you want when you want it and don't worry about the new models that come out that are a lot more attractive and get better mileage (here I'm talking about wives, not cars :>).

My experience is that brand new ones are a lot more trouble than the switch is worth (and now I'm talking about cars).

I think it much too early to say it will never be available.  I do think the market would be much too small for Ford to make a profit on it.  If that is true it would be a freebie to make buyers of earlier models feel better.  It would take a ground swell of unhappy buyers before Ford could seriously consider it as an option.

That said I don't expect unlimited upgrade paths with anything I buy.  If I buy a TV and six months later a new model comes out with features I would like it does not mean I would never consider that builder again.  

Not saying I would not consider the upgrade but I got along well before I ever had MFT and I imagine I will get along without Sync 3.  

Samsung's higher-end televisions can be upgraded by purchasing a new module kit for around $200.00
From their website:

"Evolutionary TV

TV technology changes every year. Samsung Smart Evolution allows you to upgrade your Smart TV without having to buy a new set. Compatible 2012 models can be updated now or in the future with the latest Smart TV features. And compatible 2013 models have the ability to be updated later to enhance your entertainment experience. With Smart Evolution, you’ll never get left behind again."

I would expect sometime in the future (5 - 10 years or more), auto manufacturers will have infotainment systems that can be upgraded to stay compatible with the latest user smart phones and communications technology (Purple Tooth?, USB 5?).  Or at least I think they should. :)

OTOH, you absolutely cannot upgrade a Samsung HD TV to a Samsung 4K TV.  So -- what is your point?

(Because you CAN upgrade the NAV info in our C-Maxs).

The real issue here is that auto makers shouldn't be doing this stuff (the electronic integration stuff) but rather leave it to third parties.  It's a bit like when VCRs were integrated into TVs.  THAT was a terrible idea, because as the technology changed you were stuck with a TV with an obsolete input device inside (or vice versa -- an input device with an obsolete TV).  What would be FAR better would be that car makers just standardized the inputs in the same way you can put different batteries in your car (although even that, in the case of our own vehicles, is rather limited).

I'm fairly sure we'll get there eventually and along the way there will be a lot of growing pains.

Relax valkraider. I'm sure that MFT will be supported for far longer than the service-life of your C-Max, and will continue to receive periodic software updates. You will have exactly the same ownership experience with your C-Max as you would have had otherwise. I hope you can see that. Certainly Ford had to move-on at some point. Otherwise their competitors will eat them alive.

Edited by maxed-out

I like my Sync system and it's always worked for me. I'm not gonna run off the cliff because

Ford has updated the system to another one after 10 years. It's normal evolution and anyone

that expects them not to replace system devices is off their rocker. So what if your MFT has

been replaced and you can't change it to the new system. Try that with your computer and

see where you get. IIRC, Intel has managed to do this about every 3 to 5 years without fail.

Sure, you can get the latest OS, but will your 10 year old PC run it............ NOT :drop:

If you like the aftermarket crap so much, just remove the Ford system and add

whatever junk you want. The same thing will happen with it......... :spend:

Abandonware......................OMG!

Edited by drdiesel1

I'm not surprised that the MFT system that's been around since what, 2007?, is being upgraded. Good for Ford. Mine works just fine and I like it very much. I say 870 and the radio turns to my station. GPS is excellent. My phone syncs up and makes calls really easy. I can start the car from my cell phone. All in all its a real pleasure to own and drive one of the most advanced cars on the planet.

However I noticed Acer updated their touchpad and I sure think they should send me the better one! My laptop is just a year old!

PARDON ME WHILE I TAKE A MOMENT TO FEEL SO, SO :airquote: ABANDONED!  

My C-MAX didn't come with a turntable for 78's, 33's, and 45's, a reel-to-reel tape deck, an 8-track player, a stereo cassette player, or 8", 5 1/4", and 3 1/2" floppy drives for data storage, either. I just cannot understand what Ford is thinking, abandoning all those proven technologies so rapidly.

Next thing you know, they'll go and remove the starting crank too.

Edited by kostby

I think that was just the central MFT chip and supporting units, not the entire MFT? I got the letter yesterday, but didn't read it that closely. For example, I'm not sure the screen is covered.

Yes, that's what I meant; the main guts and brains (hardware/software) but not necessarily other subsystems like the screen, switches, etc. that compose the entire MFT.   Sorry for the confusion.

Ever since the 3.6.2 update,  "things" have quieted down considerably.  So will there be further updates?   :detective:

It would be great if there was an upgrade path but it is not likely to happen.  It is just too costly to do for the few customers that would be willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy an upgrade.  I don't think any other automakers is any different.  

This might change some with the new Android Auto systems coming.  Now your power is in your phone and your car becomes a way to interface with it.  This makes it easier to have updates as your phone does all or most of this.  So you can buy a new phone and have an updated system in your car.  But even with this there will be limits to this.  As your car ages there will only be so many updates to make it work with new phones.  

I feel your pain as I too always want up to date systems but I do understand why companies can not afford to offer this.  

Bit of an odd thread IMO. OP purchased a vehicle that never had any type of promise of future upgrades to those systems, so why would OP be shocked to hear there won't be future upgrades? I bought my C-Max without MFT precisely because I don't want to be locked into it. OP is asking for something that is obviously cost-prohibitive to develop, then sell to a limited consumer base.

It's akin to whining about no new programs being written for 32-bit Windows XP running off a Pentium chipset. The article says patches and updates will still be available on the "crappy MFT" you have, though upgrades aren't possible due to needing a faster processor.

Does OP know of any other manufacturers that DO offer what OP is mad about Ford not offering? Besides maybe a $90k Tesla?

Rob,

I figured it out late last night and am sorry I ever gave the OP a rough time.  I should have remembered what time of the year it is and given him a break due to the holidays. 

It is, of course, Festivus, and he was just participating in the first round, the airing of grievances.  I will leave the "Feats of Strength" thread alone.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that I can't even rip it out and put in an aftermarket solution.

Meanwhile Tesla just gave Roadster owners an upgrade path for their entire power train (for their 6 year old Roadsters!).

http://ts.la/q9

I just want to install a radio....

You guys can harp on me all you want - but every car I have ever owned from any other manufacturer has always had upgrade paths for parts in the car. It's a $38k car - it's not a TV. You often replace components of cars without replacing the entire vehicle. But Ford has decided they won't even bother.

Being under "warranty" for MFT system failure is not the same thing as giving me a purchase-able option to upgrade a unit. They very easily could make a new unit which simply replaces the CPU/Computer and screen of the MFT with the new unit. They just don't want to.

I would pay $1500 for something like that. I can get a super nice Alpine deck with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for about $600. It would be worth the extra $900 to have one integrated with the car.

But Ford says they don't give a crap once they see you the car. Are you guys serious that the statement "screw you - buy a new car" isn't offensive to you?

Meanwhile - I am paying off my motorcycle and truck+camper soon. That money is going right in to a not-Ford (Maybe Tesla will have the Model X out by then?)

I never expect anything for free. I'm not expecting anyone to provide free new features. But I do expect them to provide options - other than an arrogant FU.

Too bad - I so wanted this car to work out. I have to admit, the power train has been awesome - it's just dealing with Ford that has sucked.

Does OP know of any other manufacturers that DO offer what OP is mad about Ford not offering? Besides maybe a $90k Tesla?

Yes.

GM, Chrysler, and VWAG - plus Tesla as already noted.

Next question?

The real problem is that if you make an entertainment system like MFT which is incredibly tied into the basic vehicle systems - then you should make it modular and upgradable over time. Or - don't tightly integrate it with the vehicle operation and allow the owners to buy aftermarket upgrades.

Ford chose to do neither.

And why on earth would we not expect the software to get updated regularly? Why is that unreasonable?

I get software updates which provide new features - on my computers, my phones and tablets, my video game systems... Heck - my TV and my Blu-Ray players are even getting updates. (All of those things are older than my car). My XBox 360 and my Wii still get new features added and they're a decade old and only cost a few hundred dollars. Our GameBoy 3DS just got a new update. My motorcycle communicator headsets have been updated annually for the past 4 years. My 3 year old Kindle got new features added just last week. I have an emergency satellite communicator which gets software updates. Even my home thermostat gets software updates and new features added regularly.

Ford has completely abandoned software development on MFT and will not be improving it - instead they tell people just to buy a new car.

There are limits as to what can be added on. Ford engineered a complete system, of which the MFT and sync are only part. Then they moved on to the next generation, which included hardware design changes. I see it as no different than when the computer manufacturers went to the ATX motherboard design. When that change was made, there were no upgrades - it simply wasn't possible. Other car manufacturers do it simpler by not integrating their electronics; Ford did it more thoroughly. For those other manufacturers, upgrades are possible because of a simpler integration; I prefer the way Ford did it. Perhaps it is because I test software, but I respect a decision to just move on to more advanced hardware rather than trying to crimp new stuff into older platforms. It has happened with PCs many times, and to some extent it happens each time a car does a complete redesign.

Tesla does it because they know their batteries are going to go out, plus their upgrades are software based - and their product is much more expensive. It is more cost effective.

I don't mean to "rail" on anyone - their car choice is a personal decision. But to me this is not upsetting. I'd prefer to get away from Microsoft, but I understand total engineering the integration of software/hardware into an entire experience.

EDIT: Having said that, I have my own reasons that I may not buy a Ford next time. But that is another story involving corporate decisions, made one way for no logical reason at all. Pretty much the opposite of this "sync 3" thread.

Edited by stevedebi