And this is why it's my last Ford product

valkraider

I work in IT as well. I understand the obsolescence cycle. But this car is still being sold with this same hardware and software. It's not obsolete yet. It is a conscious decision on Ford's part to just flat out abandon it.

Ford could *easily* add CarPlay (and the Android equivalent) to the current generation of MFT. The system already has a hard-wired USB input, and CarPlay requires almost zero processing by the car's system - it's all done on the phone and the car is simply a "remote display" of sorts. They wouldn't be able to support multi-touch but CarPlay has the basic tap menu support built in.

There are limits as to what can be added on. Ford engineered a complete system, of which the MFT and sync are only part. Then they moved on to the next generation, which included hardware design changes. I see it as no different than when the computer manufacturers went to the ATX motherboard design.

But when motherboard designs changed, I could purchase a new motherboard and CPU and memory - but keep my hard disk, high end video card, case, power supply, monitor, keyboard, and all my software.

Ford could at least provide a harness of some sort and a small software update to allow third party add-one to use the screen (and only the screen - keeping the main MFT software stack completely unchanged).

The problem is not the technology. It's the statement from Ford saying "eff you - buy a new car".

Hmmm, wonder why my Durango didn't allow me to easily upgrade to one of the new entertainment systems.  Heck, they are STILL selling the same dashboard on their new models and it still doesn't allow me to put in one of those 8" fancy things.

That's IT!!! I'm NEVER buying from Dodge again (actually, that happens to be true -- I am too old and by the time Maximis no longer works the only vehicle I'll need will be a scooter.  Or a motorized wheelchair).

Hmmm, wonder why my Durango didn't allow me to easily upgrade to one of the new entertainment systems.  Heck, they are STILL selling the same dashboard on their new models and it still doesn't allow me to put in one of those 8" fancy things.

That's IT!!! I'm NEVER buying from Dodge again (actually, that happens to be true -- I am too old and by the time Maximis no longer works the only vehicle I'll need will be a scooter.  Or a motorized wheelchair).

Fixed your avatar image, Kelleytoons :victory:post-1464-0-26133600-1420087381_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

I totally udnerstand the OPs frustration-- we are not even talking about cars 5 years old, and to be told your software on a 2-3 year old car will not be upgraded has nothing to do with tech and everything to do with business decisions. If I had bought a 30K plus fully loaded max I would feel a bit bandoned, too. Some of the comments on here I think are a little biased in Ford;s favour. I love my max, too but I can totally relate the OPs frustration.

I have a 14' SE no MFT, and now I am grateful about that decision.

I don't think it's an issue. I might keep the car 5 years and replace it with something new then, if not sooner.

The system it has works just fine. As long as it works the way it does now, it's a non issue for me.

I have other things to worry about more than some BS about being ABANDONED  ;)

My Sony with Nav works just fine. My phone works  great with the hands free system and my Bluetooth audio

streams as designed. I certainly don't know what else you could ask for.

My old windows 98 machine died years ago, so I replaced it with a new one. My windows 7 system is working,

but I already updated to 8.1, so I guess the next OS is 10.  I'm sure my PC won't

be capable of running it, so I'll replace it to get the latest OS at some point in the next year or two.

I know my C-Max won't last forever, so I'll keep up with the system it has.

I usually replace my cars every 2 years anyways, OMG! It's an appliance and it has a shelf-life.

Edited by drdiesel1

Yeah, I think the issue here is one of timing.

Unless you stay away from technology (and some people do) you will always end up in a situation *sometime* when you buy a product at the end of the support cycle.  You may buy an HDTV and a month later the 4K sets come out and... you're screwed.  Or you get an iPhone 5 and suddenly the new one comes out -- again, screwed.

Now, you're really not, because you still have a great device that functions exactly as it did when you bought it... except now other folks have better devices and you're feeling like you should have just waited a month.  And that's another game you can play -- how long do you wait to be sure you won't get obsoleted by your purchase?  Some folks will NEVER buy things using that philosophy.

I think the difference here is one of magnitude -- a car is the second largest purchase most people ever make in their lives, and getting obsoleted is also not something that up until now has been much of a factor in that purchase.  After all, 20 years ago you didn't worry much that the car you bought would be drastically changed the next model year.  Oh, they might make a better engine, or change the look, but that was about it.   So things have evolved to where cars are now going to have these sames kind of issues we've seen in every other kind of rapidly changing electronics.

It's possible car makers will work out some system where they can avoid these problems.  Right now they are taking the stand that proprietary electronics helps them differentiate between the next maker, so they aren't looking for standardized systems for the most part.  But even supporting *some* standard is going to be problematic (if they all supported Apple Play, for example, there would be some Android folks that would be screaming "FOUL!!").

So I think folks need to tread carefully -- and I will be the first to admit I bought this car on the basis of the technology.  Should I have waited a year or two and gotten the new system?  I certainly would have been happier with the system, but I also needed a car now and would do the same thing all over again.  As Dr. Diesel said, it works for me now and while I'll be envious of others with the new stuff I won't be jealous (look it up :>).

SPL Tech, on 05 Jan 2015 - 12:57 AM, said:snapback.png

15 years, why not this truck lasted even longer.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/01/05/man-drives-75-pickup-for-38-years-1703484933/?intcmp=features

It can be done, but the more they add electronics the less likely it will. If I wanted a vehicle that I never had to replace,

it would be a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel. They have 100% mechanical operated engine systems, so you can rebuild

anything on it and keepergoing. The motor is good for a million miles or more before any major work is required as long as you

perform the required service work to keep it in good condition. Other than that, it will outlive you :happy feet:

But Ford says they don't give a crap once they see you the car. Are you guys serious that the statement "screw you - buy a new car" isn't offensive to you?

I never expect anything for free. I'm not expecting anyone to provide free new features. But I do expect them to provide options - other than an arrogant FU.

Too bad - I so wanted this car to work out. I have to admit, the power train has been awesome - it's just dealing with Ford that has sucked.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think that Ford is obligated to provide any updates for our cars, but I found the tone of the Ford representative to be very arrogant & offensive. I found it very offensive that he would basically say "screw you - buy a new car" as valkraider paraphrased. I hope that Ford management also found that statement to be offensive and that this is not the attitude of Ford executives.

Paraphrased is the key word here.  The OP did not get what he wanted so I suspect the paraphrasing was meant to put Ford in the worst light.  If the question was "how can I get the new tech display?" how else could it be answered than it would be available for new purchases?

I could easily appreciate an aftermarket system - Pioneer and Alpine make great units that support CarPlay - but I can't because of the vehicle controls built in to the crappy MyFord Touch. Environmental controls and EV settings are baked in to MFT so I am stuck with a Ford only solution - completely locked out of aftermarket options.

Maybe this or other versions will be plug and play with the CMax in the not to distance future: 

It'd really be one thing if MFT was actually really good, then you're stuck with something that's legit for the next umpteen years.  But the MFT system isn't really that good.  It may not be a big steaming pile like it was before but it's certainly nothing to write home about.

Though I did learn a valuable lesson: never buy a car with proprietary 'smart system' built in that doesn't support full phone access.  Especially with the rise in smart phones and cell coverage. 

Why would I use crappy Ford navigation when I have Google Maps on my phone?  Especially using the voice commands for navigation. HAH!  Voice activated HVAC controls?  Never use them.  Faster just to turn the temperature knob.  Phone settings?  Don't reliably work (can't permanently shut off phone notifications).  Radio settings? They are okay but I feel that they could be improved.

A $35,000 car is a lot different' than a $1,500 TV or a $500 phone.

"A $35,000 car is a lot different' than a $1,500 TV or a $500 phone.

So very true.  But is it the same car you bought?  How many purchases do you make that you expect the seller to improve your purchase over time?  They should make good any defects but they are under no obligation to make upgrades available.  If a buyer does not do due diligence on all features before they buy that is on them, not the seller.  

There are things about MFT and other features of the car I could suggest improvements for but it is the car I bought and still performs all functions.  

Edited by shinytop