And this is why it's my last Ford product

valkraider

Yeah, the software/phone analogy doesn't really work for the OP's demands as his would require new hardware (paid or free).  Apple may update the OS but they ain't gonna' retrofit a larger screen or a fingerprint button.   ;)  

Currently Tesla is about the only company coming close to meeting the OP's requirements but those cars come at a great cost.  To use another analogy about airlines, he wants first class service and perks but at economy class prices.  

I highly recommend due diligence.  I had a brother who bought a C-Max and loved it.  I still went on forums and read as much as I could on the subject.  I read that Sync was problematic.  But since that was not the reason I bought the car I felt the good points far outweighed the bad I had read about Sync.  Now 7 months and 5K miles of driving my C-Max has only made me think that Sync is not near as bad as described or I got lucky with a trouble free unit.  I am older than many on here but have been involved in computer technology as in working with computers and networks for almost 30 years.  

Would I have designed it different?  Sure.  Would I modify if I could replace a board or two.  Sure.  But will not lose any sleep over what I bought because I practiced due diligence.  

Yep, I read up a whole lot before I purchased. I do that with most cars, but especially this one, with the (to me) new electric technology.

And, all seriousness aside, how did you expect us to respond to the original poster?

I mean, he comes on a forum that is designed to HELP people out with issues and problems with their vehicles and he engages in a long rant that has no real point or substance other than to make him feel better.  There are, perhaps, places on the internet designed to do that, but this forum isn't one of them.

Edited by Kelleytoons

*shrug*

Granted, there's better places on this forum to put his rant I don't see how bitching about the downfalls of your car on a car forum dedicated towards your car is all that illogical.  Well, except for putting up with all the fanboys who circle jerk each other to just put you down about it.  

Ford can certainly port a version of the new software to work on our systems.  I get them not installing new hardware, but not including new software? Lame.

It's like if you were to buy a phone then two years later the maker says "Well, we're doing a new operation system but you don't get it."  Guess you'll have to buy a new phone *insert trollface*.

And while we're on that particular topic -- while iOS could be upgraded on many phones, there were many features that could not.  When Siri itself was introduced it was not backwards compatible.  I suspect the OP here would have had a fit at that -- hmmm, a voice technology that COULDN'T be applied to his existing iPhone?  Why, I should never have bought another Apple product again.

(What's that saying about cutting off your nose to spite your face?  Oh, that's the saying).

Exactly! Every tech device reaches a point where it is outdated and is no longer supported. Some products have support for more years than others, but all reach a point of being out-of-date.

To extend your iPhone analogy. I got a 5s in the spring. 6 months later the 6 & 6+ were released with Apple Pay. i may be able to update to iOS 8, but my hardware is not compatible with Apple Pay. Do I go around demanding that Apple offer a hardware update for my 5s so that I can use Apple Pay? No.

I understand that a cell phone costs under $1000 and a car costs $25,000 so they aren't exactly comparable. Some people also keep their cars much longer than their cell phones so the cost amortiEd per year is higher for the car. However, it's just common sense that products will be updated and what you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow. That's part of why so many people buy the new iPhone right away when it comes out. That gives them the longest possible period of time with the "newest" technology before it becomes obsolete.

I would like to point out that the idea was for Ford to provide an upgrade package, not to get hardware for free.

Besides Tesla (which is a very small and almost hand built sort of vehicle), I don't know of any auto manufacturer who provides hardware kits to update electronics for the purpose of providing newer features. You don't see BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Jeep, etc. doing it.  As I said before, it would require reintegrating the entire entertainment system into the rest of the vehicle electronics. It might could be done (depening on the form factor of the display and the layout of the internal components), but it would be prohibitively expensive, and there would not be enough demand to justify the expenditure, in my opinion.

They will do it if there is a serious safety issue with something, under recall, but we are speaking of a capabilities upgrade, not a safety issue that must be repaired.

BTW, I also think folks could use a bit of courtesy. I try not to put folks down, even when disagreeing.

Any idea what the end user experience is with these systems?  Are they high speed or are they poor?

All of them except the Jeep are outside my price range, and I don't like Jeep reliability (or MPG). Sorry, I don't have personal experience; I do keep up with the trends on the auto magazines and sites, but then anyone can do that.

Lifted from other forums for some perspective.

"I've given Toyota the benefit of the doubt and now I'm preparing to take legal action against Toyota for their lack of support or acknowledgment of many issues with the Entune System. I am running Eutune 3.2 which I believe is the latest version."

From a Honda site:

"-Touchscreen: Not for me... I like large hardware buttons. To make matters worse, the interface is slow to respond, looks kinda dated, color is blue which may not match rest of gauges, and overall is not pleasant to use at all. I really don't like it, period. Navi was definitely old looking, would much rather continue to use my iPhone with WAZE or similar routing app."

Cadillac:

"Looks like it's yet another promise broken by GM/Cadillac.

I suspected this verbiage would eventually be taken off the Cadillac website because after speaking to various people in Cadillac's ranks, no one seemed interested in fixing C.U.E. bugs, adding 2015 features to 2014 models, or even attempting to resolve poor interface issues. So if you're considering an ELR, just be aware that if you have any concerns with the C.U.E. system, they're not going to be fixed, so let that information guide you appropriately.

This is for sure the last GM car I guy."

Yeah, it's like I always say -- grass is greener.  And forums is NOT where to look for satisfied customers.

I test drove a lot of vehicles before the C-Max, and one of my main criteria was the electronics (phone and music playing in particular).  Hands down SYNC 2.0 (before the latest) was the best, with the others so clunky and stupid looking it wasn't even close (the Buick was my next choice but the screen was very tiny.  And that was before I drove the C-Max, which was so superior in all else I knew I had the winner).

Now -- I didn't try the highest end, and I suspect there ARE great electronics out there if you spend enough (there'd almost have to be, right?).  But at this price point I don't think there is still anything better, 2.0 regardless.  (And I'm pretty demanding of my stuff, having lived life on the bleeding edge for many, many decades now).

I have to agree with OP.    I would love to replace the MFT with a CarPlay device.   I have been extremely frustrated with the interface.   Dropping BT links all of the time.  Currently only able to interface via USB.    Finicky voice interface.   And  let's not even go into the NAV system.   Thanks to Waze, I am less stressed.   The NAV system on my 2006 Toyota product was far better than this 2013 model.

That said, I love the way it drives.   And very quiet.   I would have probably bought the SE model and saved on the MFT / NAV side had I known the above would be so bad.   

Being able to upgrade the system would make the car a long term keeper (>10 years).   As it is, I will bide my time until I find something I like better.

I understand the economics, but Ford could have shown another way.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I’m the OP. Since all of you dog piled on me, let me be absolutely clear.

You are all not helping Ford’s case AT ALL. You are also the reason I pretty much abandoned coming to these forums.

The only single thing I would like to see updated is for them to update software to add support for CAR-PLAY or ANDROID AUTO. Just software updates - no hardware required.

To add insult to injury, there is a MFT SYNC update out now with a few new features - but for some reason it shows as not available for my car.

Currently Tesla is about the only company coming close to meeting the OP's requirements but those cars come at a great cost. To use another analogy about airlines, he wants first class service and perks but at economy class prices.

No, I don't.

Software is easy to update. I do it every day, for a system with tens of thousands of users making more than 5000 transactions daily for over 10 billion dollars a year. I've done so for 20+ years.

My next vehicle is going to be a Tesla class vehicle - and currently Tesla is the front-runner for my $$$ for the CMax replacement. But I also buy other vehicles - so, for instance, the F150 is off the table for a new truck because I dislike how Ford treats owners. I am looking at an RV purchase - and all Ford models are off the table. And instead of keeping this car and letting my teen inherit it, we will instead sell it as soon as we are not upside down and buy something non-Ford for them.

I highly recommend due diligence. <snip> But will not lose any sleep over what I bought because I practiced due diligence.

I probably did more research on this car before it was even on the market than anyone else in this damn forum. I even researched SYNC & MFT - but at the time Ford was still updating the software and had made great improvements, there was no research possible that would indicate they were planning on abandoning the platform.

to extend your iPhone analogy. I got a 5s in the spring. 6 months later the 6 & 6+ were released with Apple Pay. i may be able to update to iOS 8, but my hardware is not compatible with Apple Pay. Do I go around demanding that Apple offer a hardware update for my 5s so that I can use Apple Pay? No.

When did I _demand_ new hardware?  Sure, new replacement hardware would be cool - but even just not abandoning the software would be a good start.

I understand that a cell phone costs under $1000 and a car costs $25,000 so they aren't exactly comparable. Some people also keep their cars much longer than their cell phones so the cost amortiEd per year is higher for the car. However, it's just common sense that products will be updated and what you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow. That's part of why so many people buy the new iPhone right away when it comes out. That gives them the longest possible period of time with the "newest" technology before it becomes obsolete.

My car was $38,000 - not $25k.

I *did* buy it right when it came out, actually *before* it came out.

Also, my >3 year old iPad runs the brand new iOS 9 just fine and gets a ton of the new features that come with it (not all, but most).  iOS 9 is supported all the way back to the iPhone 4S which is 4 years old. 

OSX El Capitan which was just released is supported on Macs released back in 2007.  >7 year old Macs can run the newest Mac OS.

Yeah, I think the issue here is one of timing.

Unless you stay away from technology (and some people do) you will always end up in a situation *sometime* when you buy a product at the end of the support cycle.

So ordering this car a month before it was even on the market is buying it at the end of its support cycle?

So I think folks need to tread carefully -- and I will be the first to admit I bought this car on the basis of the technology. Should I have waited a year or two and gotten the new system? I certainly would have been happier with the system, but I also needed a car now and would do the same thing all over again. As Dr. Diesel said, it works for me now and while I'll be envious of others with the new stuff I won't be jealous (look it up :>).

A year or two? Its been 3 years now and the “new system” isn’t out yet…

And, all seriousness aside, how did you expect us to respond to the original poster?

I mean, he comes on a forum that is designed to HELP people out with issues and problems with their vehicles and he engages in a long rant that has no real point or substance other than to make him feel better. There are, perhaps, places on the internet designed to do that, but this forum isn't one of them.

You’re 100% wrong. Forums are EXACTLY the place to do this. Thats what FORUMS are FOR!

Did you somehow miss the fact that I have been a member on this forum since November 9 2012 and that I have over 600 posts? I have also been a member on the sister forum for the Energy model, I joined there on Nov 3 2012 and I have 589 posts over there. I’m also a member on several SYNC forums, and a couple basic Ford one’s as well.

I am not trolling, and I have been way more involved with this car for way longer than most people here.  My request for software updates (even ones which are *not* free) is entirely reasonable.

I hope none of you work in customer service. It is super easy for all of you to just pile on and talk about how I am a whiny baby and whatever - but that doesn’t help Ford get any more business, and it doesn’t help me recommend Ford to any friends or family.

I laid out my case and gave my experience and opinions, so that perhaps other buyers doing "due diligence" will have a good perspective of what they may or may not be in for.

There were probably a good 10 more posts which I wanted to respond to but missed so whatever. Keep on truckin’!

The issue here is that you're thin-skinned.  You proposed an idea, and other forum members disagreed with you.  You took umbrage to this as if their comments were some sort of personal attack.  Most of them were polite--you just didn't like the fact they didn't agree with you.

This is probably the most "respectful" forum I have been on.  Bad apples get thrown out.  But god forbid we have to agree with each other about everything.

Right -- and forums are NOT the place to rant (if you think so you really don't understand the internet.  Try Twitter -- that seems to be the place most people are complaining with little expectation of getting results).

Forums like these are set up to HELP.  But as Adrian points out, it's even funnier if you propose a "solution" that a lot of folks here just don't agree with.  What do you expect?  We ain't Ford and although Ford reps do come on here (to HELP out, but not to listen to rants or even ideas for "solutions") this isn't the place to contact Ford.  We are people who have our own opinions and if you came here to argue and then don't understand why others are arguing with you you really are clueless.

(And I'll give you a practical example of how forums really work: you can probably get your update by asking the Ford rep, NICELY, if she will look up your VIN and find out why it isn't showing for you.  She's done that for a number of folks here.  Hey, what a concept -- actually coming to a forum and getting help).

I certainly didn't mean to pile onto the OP, but I actually understand that Ford had to make decisions about hardware for Sync 3, and those resulted in lack of backwards compatability. I think that Android or PC users are more likely to understand this, since newer Android OS won't work on older hardware, and often newer Windows OS come with minimum hardware requirements. Apple tends to be somewhat more backwards compatible.

Personally, I understand Microsoft, and have no problems with Sync 2. I recognize what Ford was trying to do (in a Microsoft kind of way). I do wish it could do better voice recognition. But it works way better than my wife's VW nav unit. I'm hoping the new 3.8 update helps out.

Edited by stevedebi

• 3 weeks later...

Send a PM to the IVT rep. The 3.8 update is for MY2013 vehicles too, but there are some vehicles where it doesn't show. Ford is working on it according to our IVT rep.

The answer for now from Ford is to take your car to a dealer and have them do the update.  I downloaded the update from the fusion forum and installed

it.  Not too difficult.  My car is a 2013.