Check engine light

AJay

I own a 2013 Cmax SEL with about 22000 miles on it. About 4 months ago, the check engine light started going on every time there is inclement weather. It generally goes out after 3 start ups and drives. I've taken in for repair and each time the dealer claims it's been repaired. However the program has never been repaired. This problem is beginning to make me sorry I purchased the C max.

I own a 2013 Cmax SEL with about 22000 miles on it. About 4 months ago, the check engine light started going on every time there is inclement weather. It generally goes out after 3 start ups and drives. I've taken in for repair and each time the dealer claims it's been repaired. However the program has never been repaired. This problem is beginning to make me sorry I purchased the C max.

While this isn't the end of the world, it sounds like your dealer is useless. Your copy of the repair order should have all the info.

of what was done. It should also have any DTC information that was pulled from the car during the dealer visit.

If not, your dealer is taking advantage of you. Anytime your car is worked on (especially for a CEL) all the DTC's

pulled should be listed on your copy. If not, demand they supply you with this information before accepting the paperwork.

Take it back and let them know you require all the DTC info pulled from your vehicle. This way, you can track if it's a fault

that was not repaired from the last time. There are 100's of reasons the GEL light can come on, so don't be to upset over it.

DO make sure your repair(s) are properly documented, each and every visit.

Edited by drdiesel1

Ajay

I checked the repair order and it seems service replaced a purge valve/clear code.good. The DTC code was P144B valve stuck open. I guess I will have to return to the dealer again and have it fixed. But it concerns me because this is starting to be too persistent of a problem. Is this a common problem? Thanks for your replies!

Same code on all of your service visits for check engine light or different codes on different service visits?

Ajay

I checked the repair order and it seems service replaced a purge valve/clear code.good. The DTC code was P144B valve stuck open. I guess I will have to return to the dealer again and have it fixed. But it concerns me because this is starting to be too persistent of a problem. Is this a common problem? Thanks for your replies!

Ajay

Well, they may not have found the problem.

"The Canister Purge Valve (CPV) output circuit is checked for opens and shorts (P0443)
Note that a stuck closed CPV generates a P04ED, a leaking or stuck open CPV generates a P1450"

"This test checks to see if the fresh air line to ELCM unit is clogged or restricted. The fresh air line flow test is performed with the engine running, the Change Over Valve (COV) off and purge flow commanded on.

Fresh Air Line Flow Check Operation:
DTCs
P144B - EVAP System Secondary Purge Vapor Line Restricted/Blocked"

Edit: AJay do you know what valve(s) was (were) replaced? Are there part numbers on the service order?
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

They replaced the purge valve. Part number FMC. AU5Z. 9C915 D. By the way the light is now off. I have run through the 3 starts/drives. I don't no how long it will remain in this condition, but I don't want to take it to repair with the light off. I'm sure it will come on again, and then I'll take it. Thanks for the help!

Just wanted to verify it was the purge valve as a stuck open purge valve supposedly throws P1450 AND supposedly if the valve is stuck open, the diagnostic test for the code you got (P144B) would not be run.  But as we know sometimes Ford / Dealer aren't exactly right in what they say. :)

It would be interesting to know the current code that you got. The CEL lamp going out only indicates that the fault causing the DTC went away.  But, the code will still be stored until it is reset by a OBDII scan tool.  I believe you can still go to Autozone and borrow an OBDII scanner and then read the codes.  If it's the same code, I'd go back to the dealer.