C-Max vs a king size bed

I ended up going to look at a king size bed (Full frame with footboard) and hauling it back in the C-Max.  

I love the versatility of a hatchback.  I have hauled a lot of stuff in these and the C-Max is no exception.  The C-Max is tall and fairly long compared to my last car (Scion xB).  I knew this would be a lot to haul but I thought i would try it.  

This was the first big haul so it was a good test to see what it could do.  The plan was to use the passenger seat area to get the length and my partner would ride in the back on the way home.  This kind of worked but I thought we could leave up the small seat in the back for him to sit.  the headboard was just too big and would only lay down.  This is a low bed but I guess not as low as I thought.  

The back seats folded up nice and flat. On the Scion I would have to remove the head rests to clear the front seats when folding them down.  The C-Max folds the headrests so there was no problem here.  The front seat was a different story.  I had never tried to work with this for folding it down but it was clear that it was not designed for such a purpose.  They don't fold forward much at all so they will not go flat.  They do recline but not anywhere as much as I would like.  The seat back is really just in the way and is a lot in the way.  The plastic latches for the headrest on the front seat are right where you slide things over.  We had to pad this area to keep it from scratching the headboard.  

The whole bed did fit.  Rob did have to sit on top of the back seat for the trip back but we made it work.  Amazing what you can haul in a hatchback.  

The C-Max did a great job and if the front seat was designed a little better it would be perfect.  The Scion xB would allow you to fold the front seat back so it was flat and gave you a flat surface with the rear seat too.  Kind of made into a bed.  Even if they folded forward flat like some minivans do would be a great improvement.  Maybe something for the next replacement for the C-Max.   

Oh and I got 54 MPG on the way home too!   :)

Edited by scottwood2

• 1 year later...

I find this hard to believe. I measured the cargo area of my C-Max at 29" high x 60" long x 36" wide. The 29" x 36" would prevent ever fitting a king size bed

Well, I did not take a pic with it loaded in the car so I it is just my word on this.  The bed was an Ikea short headboard bed.  Ikea beds come in kits so that saves space.   We also used the front passenger area with the seat folded down for the long parts.  There was two of us and my other half was stuffed in the storage area for the ride back.  It did fit and the hatch was closed.  It can happen if you load it the right way.  

Oh, there are occasions when I miss this sort of room...  I managed to get a Weber Grill in my Energi, but only by squeezing another couple inches out of the box and headliner/carpet, etc.  By all accounts measuring it, it shouldn't have fit.  And it did NOT want to.  Was going to go pick up a board for my trailer, but realized I don't see any way to get a 46x60" item in there either... 

We brought home a mirror from Ikea and needless to say something had to give:

IMG_1586.jpg