Windshield blower always using AC

kc1174

Not sure if this is by design (the manual says nothing), but does anyone know if there's a way to use the windshield vents without the AC being on? Whenever I try, the AC shows as off in the climate control panel, but the live climate energy usage shows the AC is being used. Would rather just blow warm air at the windshield..

Yes.... Turn the AC off in the HVAC controller. Push the AC button and the AC compressor will stop running.

And yes, it's by design to use the AC system while in defrost mode.

Yeah, the AC still runs even when it says it's off on the AC control panel. I have to press the windshield vent button again and AC button again to stop the AC from running. I just think mine is messed up :) Since service shops are shut today but dealers are open, I think I'll pop down in the mrs' Rav 4 and show some interest in one of these C-Maxes I hear so much about, and see how that compares with mine :)

• 4 weeks later...

The AC compressor dehumidifies air (which is why office workers sometimes complain of dry lips, ect.), and that is why it comes on automatically. This is common with most vehicles. Leave it on, it will defog the window much better with it on.

It helps to use the compressor, but it's a waste of EV and not required to defrost the windshield. Cars that

don't have AC have no problem defrosting the windshield. It works a little quicker with the dehumidifying action.

It helps to use the compressor, but it's a waste of EV and not required to defrost the windshield. Cars that

don't have AC have no problem defrosting the windshield. It works a little quicker with the dehumidifying action.

Agreed. I've got to the point now where I don't use the windshield vents because it uses the AC compressor. I just turn recirc off and turn off all the vent settings but have it on say 3 or 4 speed, or crack the front windows. Takes a little longer but gets the job done. I think it's a bit underhanded of Ford to have the controls say AC is off when it's not, and the only way we know it's running, is through the electric usage gauge (or compressor buzz). If I want to open the windshield vents and blow warm non-air conditioned air at the windshield, I should really be able to. Like I was on my 78 Mini Cooper, Ford Sierra, Renault Clio, Jeep Liberty, and any rental car I've used. If Ford want to help improve gas mileage on this or future cars, maybe make the AC on/off switch do what the user wants it to do.

Agreed. I've got to the point now where I don't use the windshield vents because it uses the AC compressor. I just turn recirc off and turn off all the vent settings but have it on say 3 or 4 speed, or crack the front windows. Takes a little longer but gets the job done. I think it's a bit underhanded of Ford to have the controls say AC is off when it's not, and the only way we know it's running, is through the electric usage gauge (or compressor buzz). If I want to open the windshield vents and blow warm non-air conditioned air at the windshield, I should really be able to. Like I was on my 78 Mini Cooper, Ford Sierra, Renault Clio, Jeep Liberty, and any rental car I've used. If Ford want to help improve gas mileage on this or future cars, maybe make the AC on/off switch do what the user wants it to do.

I don't have this problem. When I turn off the AC, on the controller, it turns off. I don't run my

system in the recirculation mode, so maybe this is why you're having it stay on.

I don't have this problem. When I turn off the AC, on the controller, it turns off. I don't run my

system in the recirculation mode, so maybe this is why you're having it stay on.

That's the problem - recirc or not, if it's set to blow out of the windshield vents, the compressor runs and the control says "AC off". The AC button and recirculation buttons don't change whether the AC compressor runs - having the direction button blow at the windshield - AC runs. Maybe mine is jacked up, but after 2 years of ownership, I just decided to post the question here. It's one of those niggling things I decided I should ask about.

That's the problem - recirc or not, if it's set to blow out of the windshield vents, the compressor runs and the control says "AC off". The AC button and recirculation buttons don't change whether the AC compressor runs - having the direction button blow at the windshield - AC runs. Maybe mine is jacked up, but after 2 years of ownership, I just decided to post the question here. It's one of those niggling things I decided I should ask about.

Whenever you hit the defrost button, it will turn on the compressor. Then you need to turn it off

with the AC off button. Are you stating it stays on after you turn it off with the AC button, after hitting the defrost mode ?

Whenever you hit the defrost button, it will turn on the compressor. Then you need to turn it off

with the AC off button. Are you stating it stays on after you turn it off with the AC button, after hitting the defrost mode ?

Yup, that's it - windshield button on (am in FL so not so much defrost as defog) - if I press the AC button to turn AC off, it's still running but says it's off. Can hear the compressor and see the drain on the accessory/AC use gauge on the dash. Only way to truly turn the compressor off is to press the defrost button again and go back to it blowing at my face etc. Maybe mine needs another visit to the dealer if this isn't right. It's really not clear since the 2013 hybrid manual was basically the European C-Max manual with hybrid and MFT bits added to it, so it refers to stuff our cars don't have - like a windshield with a heating element in it, and light bulbs that don't exist.. Grr.

Agree that it should stay off - then you turn it on if desired.  Its crazy - windshield is fogged so we blow some cold air on it to make the glass cold so it fogs up even quicker.  Have also heard that its done so the compressor gets run occasionally in the cooler seasons to keep things lubed up.

I've switched to using MaxDef button.  It might run the compressor (?) but it cranks up the heat and works in seconds - hit it again and go back where you were.

It works a little quicker with the dehumidifying action.

I said defog, not defrost. And yes, AC helps a TON to defog windows. We are talking a 1000% decrease in the amount of time it takes to defog the windows easy. As far as defrost, yea, you dont need AC.

Edited by SPL Tech

I said defog, not defrost. And yes, AC helps a TON to defog windows. We are talking a 1000% decrease in the amount of time it takes to defog the windows easy. As far as defrost, yea, you dont need AC.

Well, considering they call it DEFROST MODE........ I call it what it's actually known as and regardless of your misnomer,

it's the same thing.

Note the GREEN and RED sections from the owners manual.

Also read the bottom line that's highlighted in GREEN!

post-1464-0-18743300-1422781639_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

I think the OP is using the MAX DEFROST button to activate the system and this is why the AC compressor is staying on

until he uses the controller to cycle the system to another setting that allows it to turn the compressor off :noobie:

I use the button at the bottom next to recirc. I have used the max button before, and yes it's more efficient. Button G next to recirc kicks AC in and it won't go off on mine. Had the car for 2 yrs and read the manual during that time. Mine is obviously broken. Thanks.

Mine is obviously broken. Thanks.

No, I think you are a victim of geography.  It's also quite humid here along the Texas gulf coast and I run into this issue too.

We Energi owners have had the discussion several times because a/c use (even with the a/c button off) is quite evident since there is an immediate reduction in estimated EV range whenever it activates.   It's rare but sometimes the kWh usage is low; however, most of the time for me it's near halfway up (2500 kWh) the usage gauge. 

I use the button at the bottom next to recirc. I have used the max button before, and yes it's more efficient. Button G next to recirc kicks AC in and it won't go off on mine. Had the car for 2 yrs and read the manual during that time. Mine is obviously broken. Thanks.

According to the Workshop Manual, it appears that it is broken if you can't turn off AC.   Pushing G button should only use AC if the AC is turned on.  So, you should be able to push the AC button to turn it off if it's on.  Of course it won't be the first time that Ford has had software issues. ;)  I don't recall ever using the G button so I can't tell you how mine works.  

FLOOR-DEFROST

When FLOOR/DEFROST mode is selected:

• the recirculated air request button is enabled. If the recirculated air request button is selected (indicator on), the air inlet door closes, preventing outside air from entering the passenger compartment. If the recirculated air request button is not selected (indicator off), the air inlet door opens, allowing only outside air into the passenger compartment.
  • the footwell vent doors and defrost vent/register doors operate in combination to direct airflow to the floor duct, the defroster duct and the side window demisters.
  • blended air temperature is available. Only when A/C electric compressor operation has been selected by pressing the A/C button (indicator on) can the airflow temperature be cooled below the outside air temperature.
  • the blower motor is on and the speed is adjustable.

MAX DEFROST

When MAX DEFROST mode is selected:

• the recirculated air request button is disabled. The air inlet door opens, allowing only outside air into the passenger compartment.
  • the footwell vent doors and defrost vent/register doors operate in combination to direct airflow to the defroster duct and side window demisters. A small amount of airflow from the floor duct is present.
  • the A/C is turned on in defrost mode. The A/C electric compressor operates as long as the outside temperature is above approximately 35.6 °F ( 2 °C).
  • the temperature is set to the highest setting and is not adjustable.
  • the fan is set to the highest speed and is not adjustable.
  • MAX DEFROST can be exited by pressing the AUTO button. 
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

FWIW:  In my 2013Energi the A/C appears to be on whenever the Floor/defrost mode is selected.  In this mode, the A/C On or A/C Off indication can be toggled to on or off with the A/C button, but even when the indication is "off" the A/C remains on as I observe form the EV Range or from the power draw.

So i do not think that anyone's car is "broken."  I think that the manual is wrong.

This was a surprise to when I first noticed the effect on the EV range.  No that I know how it works, it is not a big problem.  When I really need to de-fog the windshield I do not mind the A/C coming on with the defrost selection.  In fact I probably would have been turning it on al lot of times anyway, because in this climate (not very cold, but often extremely high humidity) I have always found (in my previous cars) that the de-fogging works much better with a little A/C.  The combination of heat and A/C produces very dry air, which aids the de-fogging action.  And in these situations, I am well-willing to tolerate the power draw in order to clear the windshield.   The only inconvenience is that I need to remember to de-select the defrost mode when the windshield has been cleared.

FWIW:  In my 2013Energi the A/C appears to be on whenever the Floor/defrost mode is selected.  In this mode, the A/C On or A/C Off indication can be toggled to on or off with the A/C button, but even when the indication is "off" the A/C remains on as I observe form the EV Range or from the power draw.

So i do not think that anyone's car is "broken."  I think that the manual is wrong.

This was a surprise to when I first noticed the effect on the EV range.  No that I know how it works, it is not a big problem.  When I really need to de-fog the windshield I do not mind the A/C coming on with the defrost selection.  In fact I probably would have been turning it on al lot of times anyway, because in this climate (not very cold, but often extremely high humidity) I have always found (in my previous cars) that the de-fogging works much better with a little A/C.  The combination of heat and A/C produces very dry air, which aids the de-fogging action.  And in these situations, I am well-willing to tolerate the power draw in order to clear the windshield.   The only inconvenience is that I need to remember to de-select the defrost mode when the windshield has been cleared.

Anytime a defrost button is activated, the compressor will come on regardless of the previous setting.

Defrost is any button with this post-1464-0-67345700-1422823500_thumb.jpg symbol on it.

Edited by drdiesel1

Anytime a defrost button is activated, the compressor will come on regardless of the previous setting.

Defrost is any button with this attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg symbol on it.

Understood.

The thig that several of us were remarking about is that once the defrost mode is selected and the A/C has come on, then if we push the A/C button to turn the compressor off, the indication will respond to that, and it will say "A/C OFF,"  but in fact it will still be ON.

Remind me to stick a label over those buttons with "no" written on it, like in Apollo 13.

So bottom line is - Ford or someone assumed defrost/defog needs the compressor to run to dehumidify the cabin. Regardless of whether humidity was the cause. Could just be the cabin air dew point vs the windshield temp, but anyway, it's moisture of some kind, so we need to dehumidify the cabin with the compressor when a quick blast of warm air would do the trick in that situation.

What gets me is why it specifically says the AC is off on the control and in MFT when it's not. I get the need to force the use of AC occasionally to keep it in good working order, especially during winter months. Having defrost say AC is on and allow us to turn it off would get the same result. It would run for a bit until we choose to turn it off.

Next time I'm in the shop, I'll report it as a bug and see if I can get some manual override out of them. Might get lucky where some combination of button presses gives us the option to have the AC button do what it says instead of looking at the climate usage to see what it's doing.

KC, why is this such an important issue to you?

It's not really that important in the general scheme of things.

Started out as a question as to whether my car had an issue since the AC ran when the climate control said it was off on the windshield vent setting. Not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to control whether AC is used, if it's possible. I'll ask them when I eventually go in for the recall I've been avoiding.

It's not really that important in the general scheme of things.

Started out as a question as to whether my car had an issue since the AC ran when the climate control said it was off on the windshield vent setting. Not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to control whether AC is used, if it's possible. I'll ask them when I eventually go in for the recall I've been avoiding.

Read the page I posted from the owners manual. It's not abnormal operation.