No Key Ignition Light

JayCo59

For those of us with the SE version of this car we have to use a key in the Ignition, we went "Old School". ;)

This is the first car since my 1996 Plymouth Neon (which did have a lite keyhole) that did NOT have some sort of lightng for the key hole.

This car (at least mine) has "Ambient Lighting" which lights the floor and the door handles and all kinds of places , BUT NOT THE IGNITION KEY!

Really Ford?! :redcard:

To remedy this deficiency I have been looking into several options.

The first and easest is to add a light to the key, I have a solution I found online that's is a bit cumbersome, but it does work.

You can see the images below. It uses doubleback tape to adhere to the key. It's larger than I was hoping but it's not as bad as it looks.

post-67-0-29466400-1352668484_thumb.jpg post-67-0-33805900-1352668485_thumb.jpg post-67-0-43846000-1352668486_thumb.jpg post-67-0-40430800-1352668487_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on a custom light that can be added to a key, I have it working but it needs a bit of reminement. It's smaller than the light above and it has a momentary micro switch but it's a bare battery and the LED wiring is still exposed.

post-67-0-13041500-1352668545_thumb.jpg

The other more complicated work around is to add an LED light to the existing "Ambiet Lighting" wiring, this is still a work in progress.

But I do have some idea's on this as well. I found a Surface mounting LED that is small enough to be added to some where around the keyhole and I just need to figure out where the best place to get power is for it.

post-67-0-65739500-1352668571_thumb.jpg

I've created the wire harness (at least the start of one) which includes a 10k ohm Pot to adjust the light level (it's a very bright LED) but I'm having dificulty figuring out where to wire it into.

post-67-0-36408700-1352669377_thumb.jpg

Anybody else have any thoughts or idea's on this subject?

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Should be able to find it in the dark but sometimes can't - my 2010 lights up big time, after you find the button on the keyfob ...till then its pitch black - what was Ford thinking about, the 10 cents it would have taken to solve this !? The work around I use (2010 Fusion) is get the key / keyfob out & my finger hovering over the unlock button where there is some light :nonono:

I've found the car lights up like a Christmas tree when you open the door giving you plenty of light to see the key hole.

Maybe in Southern California that's an option but in Ct. (especially this time of year) you want to close the door ASAP and at night, even with all the "Ambient Lighting" the keyhole just seems to be in a dark spot in this car. Of course my eyesight (just like the "old Gray horse) ain't what it use to be!

Appreciate the comments.

Thx,

Jay

I don't seem to have any problems finding the key hole, and it is located in a position that you would have to bend a bit if you did have to sight on it (so simpler just to feel around if necessary).

If you want to go all pimp my ride with this, you could get a laser cut ring (check ebay) and then glue in some small LED's. Maybe use translucent acrylic or sand it so it will disperse the light more evenly.

• 4 months later...

Jay, Keep us posted.  I, in particular, come from a car modding background and love playing with auxiliary lighting.  My car is not a week old to me yet, so I am just starting to look into different things.  Truth is that I will always have the "mod bug", even if I picked a car that typically isn't modded.  That being said, I plan on tapping into the auxiliary lighting system to add some LEDs to light the floors (like you already have), and some other ideas.

To address your question of powering the LED ring, I would try tapping the power off your current floor lighting and just run the wire(s) up to the steering column.  This way, all your lights come on without user intervention.  If you are saying that the floor lighting goes out too fast, then I would tap a constant power source and install a toggle switch near, or on, the door somewhere.  This option would allow you to toggle it on when entering the vehicle.  You just need to remember to turn if off again, lol.