Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How does the CMAX transmission work?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

I puzzled over this for a long time, and the simplest way I can lay it out is this:

The parts of a planetary gear system are ring (the outside), planets (the little whirly bits inside), and the sun (the central shaft).  These are always engaged with each other.  In our cars, the ICE is connected to the sun gear at a fixed ratio, the wheels and one motor are connected to the ring, also at a fixed ratio.  The axes of the planetaries are connected by a yoke to the second motor.

Under electric drive, the ICE and second motor are unenergized, the planetaries spin freely.  A load is placed on the either motor for regen.  The real trick is that the second motor controls the "gear ratio" between the ICE and the ring and thus the wheels.

All of those modes are ratios of thrust or drag among the ICE and the two motors.  For instance, to start the ICE, the motor on the planetaries spins against the ring to turn the ICE.  Propulsion by ICE has the planetaries held still (the motor can do that), so that the power from the ICE transfers through to the ring.  Varying the power fed to the planetaries can allow all three sources to contribute torque to the wheels.

Planetary gear systems are hard to think about, I think because thrust and drag can come from any of the components.

• obob and djc like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

FYI - My mileage in the 2016 for the year is 44.9 MPG and for this last week is 47.5 MPG. I do not hypermile, so these numbers represent driving normal if not aggressively.

I'm currently at 45.6 on my 2016. I never use ECO select as I can't stand the Prius Button.

I've had two large trips on the interstate with it (1,700 miles total) where we averaged about 38 on.
My daily driving my trips range 47-56MPG

Edited by joshg678, 15 July 2017 - 02:46 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 546 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I am still working on trying to understand and am making progress.  Thanks for the help.

This video helped me a lot.

#24 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

It's very similar to a differential on a car. I think every transmission should be like our cmax. It's just so cool imo
  • ptjones and obob like this

#25 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

For me a main attraction of the C-max was the high level of ingenious technology, coupled with a comfortable and useful body shape.  Regular drive trains just seem dumb.  The things I would like in my next vehicle are bigger battery, an electric cabin pre-heater operated off the same plug-in as the engine block heater, and, most important, AWD. 

Regarding Ford engine control software updates:  it seems likely that these would be aimed at reliability improvements, if possible, rather than mpg.  A slight mpg increase will hardly be noticed in the noise - and doesn't do anything for Ford.  A failed transmission will be noticed all around and can easily cost Ford quite a bit.

#26 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationFt. Collins
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford CMax

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

Page 161 of http://fordcmaxhybri...ech-operations/

C8ZMrO1.jpg

• JAZ and ptjones like this

#27 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

For me a main attraction of the C-max was the high level of ingenious technology, coupled with a comfortable and useful body shape.  Regular drive trains just seem dumb.  The things I would like in my next vehicle are bigger battery, an electric cabin pre-heater operated off the same plug-in as the engine block heater, and, most important, AWD. 

Regarding Ford engine control software updates:  it seems likely that these would be aimed at reliability improvements, if possible, rather than mpg.  A slight mpg increase will hardly be noticed in the noise - and doesn't do anything for Ford.  A failed transmission will be noticed all around and can easily cost Ford quite a bit.

The only thing I would want in my next vehicle would be the ability to tow something. AWD is overrated if you have good tires and ETC.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·