Turning off DRL?

SPL Tech

a

This reminds me of a HVAC issue I had. I needed to get my heater repaired. The HVAC guys were wanting $6000 to do it. I laughed them out of my house, did a few days of research on the net and ended up doing it myself for $1000 and a day's labor. If they would have charged a much more reasonable and still profitable $2k, I would have given them my business. But they wanted to take me for a ride and they lost their time giving me an estimate and made $0 doing it. You cannot charge more than someone is willing to pay, regardless of what the excuses are.

There is nothing wrong with making money as a business. There IS something wrong with trying to completely rip someone off. I NEVER expect something for free, but I ALWAYS demand a deal that is both reasonable for the seller and the buyer, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Look, the consumer has the upper hand in just about every industry other than healthcare. There are a million alternatives to the dealer. With the modern invention of YouTube and digital shop manuals, anyone who is mechanically inclined has some shot of being able to do a full engine or tranny swap himself. Truth be told, many dealers operate like they think they are providing ER service to a gunshot wound victim or something. But they are wrong, there are a million alternatives to a dealer (like any of the other 5000 dealers for starters). The person with the money has the power, and that's the consumer. There are a million shops willing to take my business, you tell me why I should let you have my business.

This thread seems to have taken a new direction, but DRL's are pretty much set in stone, some people like them some don't, some countries like them some don't.

Now back to the new subject.

"The HVAC guys were wanting $6000 to do it. I laughed them out of my house, did a few days of research on the net and ended up doing it myself for $1000 and a day's labor."

Like you if' the repair is within my time limit and skill level (3 engine swaps, 1 was a Buick V6 in a 914 Porsche) I DO IT!

OUCH on the 6K$ that would be a new unit in N. TX.

OUCH on the 1K$ that sounds like you put ALL new parts in your old unit.

Ouch on your 8 hours of lost wages/time off, what is your loaded hourly rate? I'm going to guess it's a couple hundred an hour.

A couple of yrs ago the blower motor on our house HVAC went out, 100+*, in the attic, more than a 1 day job for me....gladly paid the pro.

ha! I hope you're joking about this one. You did read the battery thread, right? The one where hundreds of people have brought their car in more times than they can count and they are still having problems? This is another separate but worthwhile point to mention as well. Not only do some companies charge Ferrari prices, but they do it for Honda-level service. They charge hundreds of dollars per hour, but don't even do the job right.

The dead battery thread?!  Yeah I loved #1002  Some classic stuff from a certain individual.

There are exceptions to every rule.  Just because your uncle Bob smoked two packs a day and lived to 97 does not cancel the fact that the best way to live to 97 is to never smoke.

My point is that I would fix the leaky toilet myself, but my coworker would rather pay a plumber $150 to do it and have the peace of mind that it was fixed by a pro and (in all likelyhood) done right.   A plumber isn't going to overtighten nuts and crack the ceramic toilet base. 

Edited by Adrian_L

Funny topic for me. I want to turn on the DRL for my 2014 C-Max Energi. For this model year it cannot be done after the factory. They removed the option from the BCM software module. It could be done for the 2013, and it is on all 2014 fleet / Canadian sales, and it is a user setting on the 2015, but for the 2014 I cannot get it enabled. Very frustrating for me.

• 1 year later...

Starting your car with the emergency brake on will typically make the DRL's not turn on.  This is pretty much a standard on any car I've had, whether it's Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda.

I WISH this was the case.  I agree, I've had cars in the past with DRL's and they had ways of temporarily turning them off like with the e-brake on.

Not so on my 2013 Energi.  I had it in park, parking brake engaged, lights turned to OFF and as soon as I turn the car ON, the DRL's are on.

Not normally a problem for me, but it would make it a lot more of a pain at the Drive In...

I WISH this was the case.  I agree, I've had cars in the past with DRL's and they had ways of temporarily turning them off like with the e-brake on.

Not so on my 2013 Energi.  I had it in park, parking brake engaged, lights turned to OFF and as soon as I turn the car ON, the DRL's are on.

Not normally a problem for me, but it would make it a lot more of a pain at the Drive In...

The 2013 can be turned off at the dealer. The setting is in the BCM. Unless you are in Canada, of course.