Reactions to the Chevrolet Bolt Concept?

kostby

I know this is a Ford Hybrid forum, but what are your thoughts about this Chevy Bolt EV concept?

post-1940-0-93146900-1421261019_thumb.jpg

Claimed Stats:

4 passengers

Full EV

200-mile range

Priced in the 30's AFTER an assumed $7,500 Federal Tax Rebate

Presumed competition:

Tesla Model 3

BMW i-3

Mercedes

Does this vehicle compete with the current C-MAX Hybrid or Energi Hybrid plug-in?

Most telling statement made by GM to the press:

Chevrolet communications representative Michelle Malcho reiterated “it’s just a concept."

Link to full GM press release and images:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/Jan/naias/chevrolet/bolt/0112-bolt.html

Other reactions:

http://www.insidercarnews.com/gm-unveils-the-all-electric-chevrolet-bolt-concept/

http://insideevs.com/grading-2016-chevrolet-volt-bolt-live-2015-naias/

http://www.hybridcars.com/gm-shows-chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept-in-detroit/

From what I have heard this is not really a concept car.  They are saying 12 to 18 months until production.  I think Chevy was a leader with the volt and if they can come through with this it should be a hit but maybe not if the gas prices stay where they are today.

I love the styling and the taller crossover concept.  That is what attracted me to the C-Max.  The problem here for me is the range.  I don't think I want a car I can not take on trips even with a 200 mile range.  The Volt always was slammed for having a ICE.  It is an extended range electric vehicle but the general public think of this as no different from any other plug in hybrid.  The line is really foggy between these two concepts.  I like having an ICE so I can go as far was I want.  I do like the plug in and most of the time this will work fine for all electric driving as most of my trips are less than 20 miles.  Now maybe if they can come up a quick charging method, then that might work. 

Since we are talking about Chevy here, I was looking forward to the new Volt.   From what I see so far I am not impressed as all.  The styling of the original Volt was nothing special and I think this one is even worse.  I did not even look at the Volt because of the low profile.  Not for me.  I am driving a VW passat this week as a rental.  The car drives well but it is another low profile roof that I feel like I have to almost lay down to get my head in the car.  Drives very nice but I would never own one with that roof line. 

I give Chevy credit for the styling of the Bolt.  The Volt just looks like another standard Chevy on the road.  I think that is what they wanted.  I hope it works for them.  It does nothing for me so far. 

I'm guessing that it will be a very big hit.  I like the styling except for the nose (can't stand the pinch, & other GM cues).  Not far off being a C-Max II in styling perhaps. (which will make it to market first ???)  Sooooo glad we have the current tall C-Max (with an ICE) before it gets chopped for the II (if indeed that happens).

Nick

Wintertime blues - 49.7 mpg (47+ at pump) yesterday on 112 mile loop yesterday (42-50 degrees).

Edited by C-MaxSea

Scott, low rooflines help tremendously with aerodynamics.  Just ask us CMax owners about hwy mileage.  <rimshot>

I understand that but many people including myself don't like them.  I guess that is why they make all kinds of vehicles.  I am just glad to see that they are still looking to build electrics that are not all low to the ground to get a little more FE.  I would not be driving one if that was the case.  Looks like BMW thinks the same way too.  My neck hurts from getting in and out of the VW rental car this week.  Tomorrow I am back in my C-Max.  :>)

I understand that but many people including myself don't like them.  I guess that is why they make all kinds of vehicles.  

Oh, I totally agree that a higher roofline is much more comfortable.  I've stated as much here on the forum whenever I've been asked to compare the two cars since I've owned both.  

You want to talk about a crazy comfortable car that's super easy to get in/out of?  That's the Nissan Cube.  Back in '09, we walked in to look at a Rogue and bought the local dealerships' first Cube SL.  LOL   Talk about a high roof line!   That's the only ICE car we've ever owned that got lower highway mileage than city.   The tall boxy design really fights the wind and the flat windshield is a real rock catcher too.  If it weren't for those attributes, we'd probably still have it.  We both loved that goofy car.

Edited by fotomoto

Until electrics are to the point where they can be topped off in the time that it takes to fill a gas tank, I can't consider one. I am not about to own two cars, pay for a second parking spot, pay for the increase in insurance, etc. I hope that the day comes soon.

There is a company in Israel that has quick change batteries and a supporting network, but that would require widespread adaptation in the USA before I could consider that option. Hydrogen sounds promising in its own way.

When they make something where I can drive cross country, stopping for minutes to top off along the way, count me in.

Oh, I totally agree that a higher roofline is much more comfortable. I've stated as much here on the forum whenever I've been asked to compare the two cars since I've owned both.

You want to talk about a crazy comfortable car that's super easy to get in/out of? That's the Nissan Cube. Back in '09, we walked in to look at a Rogue and bought the local dealerships' first Cube SL. LOL Talk about a high roof line! That's the only ICE car we've ever owned that got lower highway mileage than city. The tall boxy design really fights the wind and the flat windshield is a real rock catcher too. If it weren't for those attributes, we'd probably still have it. We both loved that goofy car.

My last car was a scion xB which is similar to the Cube. I loved that car. City and Highway FE was about the same at 30 mpg. If I tried I could get 36 on the highway. I think I had about 6 inches of room above my head in that car. The C-Max is pretty good too.

If you could buy it today I'd be test driving!  Don't like the front end or touchscreen controls but the rest is pretty cool.

However, what we really need is the Ford B-Max body as an EV with 175-200 mile range and under-the-floor battery.  (Would really like 250 mile range but a short "fast charging" stop would be OK.)  Come on Ford - you can do it! :drool:

P.S. Fast charging will change the EV world.  With gas you stop, pump gas, move car (if you're at all courteous), wash off the smell, do the food/restroom/stretch routine and leave.  With EV you stop, plug in (takes a couple of seconds), do the "routine", relax/read/snooze for another 5 or 10 minutes and leave in a better frame of mind!  :)  Just you wait.  Five or ten years from now we'll look back at the "teen" years and say; "How silly we were - all worried about EV range!"

• 2 weeks later...

While I have not seen a prototype, I recently received an overview from GM execs at an Auto Show.  The Bolt drawings seemed to look much like the CMAX with the higher headroom for passengers and the SUV type design on a compact car.

It struck me that this car may be a great alternative and more economic competitor to a Tesla because it is all electric.  For single car people such as I, I do not think it will compete against a CMAX Hybrid or CMAX Energi.  I would just not like to be dependent upon an all electric car.  This week I saw a couple stranded in the middle of the roadway with a Tesla and had to wonder whether they had car problems or let their battery run dead.  Last summer I saw another Tesla owner who had backed his car too far into a space at a Lake Tahoe Food and Wine Festival so that the back wheels went off the asphalt and partially a couple feet down a grade so that he could not drive forward out of the space.  I'm just glad I have the electric features of the Hybrid CMAX SEL without being all-electric.  While I might have been intrigued with the Energi model, I might have regretted losing that cargo space.  In any case, I do not think I would like to have a Bolt as an only car.

I've been waiting for VW to produce that all electric prototype they show in the car shows a few years ago called the E-Bugster.  Nice little bug I'd definitely buy.

Trouble is they tend to make the new one's so darned big!  The new mini?  It's about twice the size of the original!  I guess Fiat sort of got it right with their new Cinquecento.  

They did come out with a prototype for the "new" VW Type 2/bus but the thing looked horrendous.  I remember the negative comments on the Type 2 forum at the time, when I owned a '79. 

Not crazy about VW/Audi engineering and reliability, but I am tempted to try throwing an electric system in an old Bug or Karmann Ghia.  There's an outfit in California that sells kits for about 7 grand and they can be installed ('theoretically') in a weekend.  Even includes regenerative braking.