Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Jiggled door handle and lift gate opened

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

We had some freezing rain last night so this morning the car was encased in a thin sheet of ice.  I lifted the drivers door handle and the door unlocked as usual.  The door was iced shut so I needed to jiggle the door handle and push and pull on the door to get it free.  As I was doing this the lift gate opened.  My key fob was in my pocket.  I don't think there was anyway that the lift gate part of the fob was depressed twice.  So why did the lift gate open?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

Were you using your body to help work the door ?

#3 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Were you using your body to help work the door ?

Maybe a little hip action, but I didn't think I was pressing against the door.  That's an experiment I can try without another ice event.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,297 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

I managed to pop the liftgate while pressure washing the car this weekend.  Does that count?   :)

#5 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 542 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

Helpful hint for those of us who have to deal with frozen car doors every winter:

The Hoppy-brand Sub Zero Bear Claw 10" ice scraper has a tapered wedge on the 'handle' end. It easily fits in the door gap and works perfectly for prying a frozen door open without damaging the door.

Attached File  both.jpg   39.83KB   1 downloads

A quick search shows many places sell them.

Link to manufacturer's page, Hopkins Manufacturing

http://www.hopkinsmf...alog-2014/#59/z

Edited by kostby, 14 January 2015 - 11:57 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

I have the exact opposite problem in cold weather...the liftgate latch will click but the gate will not pop open, no matter how much upward force I apply. Last cold spell (with no ice on hatch) I had to pull about 7 times and the gate finally opened. Does not seem to matter if I use FOB or gate latch to try and open. Has anyone had this problem with liftgate in cold weather?

Edited by Zathrus, 15 January 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   LizM

LizM

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 300A

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have the exact opposite problem in cold weather...the liftgate latch will click but the gate will not pop open, no matter how much upward force I apply. Last cold spell (with no ice on hatch) I had to pull about 7 times and the gate finally opened. Does not seem to matter if I use FOB or gate latch to try and open. Has anyone had this problem with liftgate in cold weather?

I have had some issues not being able to open the liftgate at first...it is sometimes a struggle.  The dealer could not replicate..it started this past fall, but can't honestly say it is because of cold weather.  I actually thought it might have to do with salt..trying to keep the back clean is continuous.  Until it fails consistently, I guess the dealer won't do anything.

#8 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 576 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

I did have an issue where the latch would pop but not completely and you could not open the liftgate.  After a few seconds you would hear the latch pop again and everything was good.  Did this for a few weeks, then it was fine.  Asked the dealer about this when it was in for service thinking they would check the adjustment.  They just said it was working fine.  I don't think they checked anything other than it opened.  But I guess if it is working then leave it alone. 

Not sure if this is what you see? 

#9 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

I have had some issues not being able to open the liftgate at first...it is sometimes a struggle.  The dealer could not replicate..it started this past fall, but can't honestly say it is because of cold weather.  I actually thought it might have to do with salt..trying to keep the back clean is continuous.  Until it fails consistently, I guess the dealer won't do anything.

I did have an issue where the latch would pop but not completely and you could not open the liftgate.  After a few seconds you would hear the latch pop again and everything was good.  Did this for a few weeks, then it was fine.  Asked the dealer about this when it was in for service thinking they would check the adjustment.  They just said it was working fine.  I don't think they checked anything other than it opened.  But I guess if it is working then leave it alone. 

Not sure if this is what you see? 

Dealer looked at my hatch issue. Fortunately, the latch did not open for him until the 5th try. They determined no adjustment was needed. However, they did fix it by lubricating the latch. It has been working much better (works every time now on first try). 

Tech report on invoice stated:

Latch dry, confirmed stuck, Lubed, Rechecked OK.

You might want to try lubricating latch...hopefully that will work for you as well. Not sure what they used.

Edited by Zathrus, 21 January 2015 - 08:08 PM.

• LizM likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·