Car came with nav, but no SD card. Replacements?

I got a used SEL and it has the Sony system with nav, but no SD card. The MFT shows that Navigation North America is installed, but the maps are missing as there is no SD card. Is there a way to download a replacement for free? The vehicle came with the maps, so I already own the license and rights to use the maps.

What is this screen indicating?:

2iqn95.jpg

How do I know if it takes the A4/5/6 series or the B4/5/6 series? The manual says I have to check my map version on MFT, but since I have no SD card I have no map version.

I asked the stealership, and just as I suspected they just blew me off and said to pay $200 for new maps. I wouldent expect any less of an answer from them.

Yeah, I got A5 from eBay for about $35, IIRC.  It was an official, sealed copy (from the Lincoln Navigation system -- same maps).  Works great and has for six months.

I have an A4 I'd be willing to give you (not really all that out of date depending on the area).  A6 has not been released yet and I would expect it will hit eBay at about the same prices (when I got A5 it had JUST been released and my dealership wanted $150 even though my A4 came with the car after A5 had come out).

Note that you have to be absolutely positive you have the Nav hardware -- I am no expert, but the screen shot you have shown doesn't convince me you do (and it would be odd for a used vehicle to have the maps removed: no real point since you can't use them elsewhere).  I have been told that only a dealership could tell you whether the hardware is installed or not (because we tested a car that appeared to just need the nav card only to be told that the hardware wasn't installed and could not be added after the fact).

How do I know if it takes the A4/5/6 series or the B4/5/6 series? The manual says I have to check my map version on MFT, but since I have no SD card I have no map version.

I asked the stealership, and just as I suspected they just blew me off and said to pay $200 for new maps. I wouldent expect any less of an answer from them.

Hi SPL, 

The maps cannot be download, they should be purchased from your dealer or our map provider, HERE. Their website is www.navigation.com. The type of card you'd want is dependent on where you are located. The A4/5/6 cards are for the U.S. and Canada, and the B4/5/6 cards are for the U.S. and Mexico. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Rebecca

Yeah, I got A5 from eBay for about $35, IIRC.  It was an official, sealed copy (from the Lincoln Navigation system -- same maps).  Works great and has for six months.

I have an A4 I'd be willing to give you (not really all that out of date depending on the area).  A6 has not been released yet and I would expect it will hit eBay at about the same prices (when I got A5 it had JUST been released and my dealership wanted $150 even though my A4 came with the car after A5 had come out).

Note that you have to be absolutely positive you have the Nav hardware -- I am no expert, but the screen shot you have shown doesn't convince me you do (and it would be odd for a used vehicle to have the maps removed: no real point since you can't use them elsewhere).  I have been told that only a dealership could tell you whether the hardware is installed or not (because we tested a car that appeared to just need the nav card only to be told that the hardware wasn't installed and could not be added after the fact).

Sweet, thanks for the offer! I have the Sony system, and as I asked in a different thread, apparently ALL Sony systems have nav. Also, it says "navigation" on the top right in the green, as well on the HUD. On the other hand, my SE which does not have nav but does have MFT, does not say navigation in the top right of the screen. Instead it says "information." Also, I have been able to access the navigation on the unit and I pressed "show map" just as you would on any Ford nav unit. It loaded the screen, it just dident show anything on the map since I dont have any maps. So owning an SE and an SEL, I can tell you that the SEL unit has nav as it has a ton of extra nav specific screens I can access that do not exist on my SE MFT unit, and again it has the Sony system.

Edited by SPL Tech

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I ordered the A6 from a Ford dealer online, because it is so new that I have not yet seen the map on EBay.  I figured that I have received so many Hertz upgrades to vehicles with Ford My Touch luxury vehicles but with no navigation SD card, that I can take the older SD card with me when I travel and use it in rental cars when I get a an upgrade on a Ford vehicle.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Based on that photo you do not (even without a Nav card in the slot it should say "Navigation" in the upper right of your screen -- removing the card doesn't change that, although it *will* complain if you select that option without a card in the slot).

I suppose the only way to be sure would be to look your VIN up somewhere -- smarter folks than I will chime in here with the ultimate solution.

You're right.  "Nav" would show in the upper right hand corner of your home screen if it was there.

If I recall correctly, with no SD card it doesn't actually say Nav -- instead it states "Insert Nav SD card", like this:

defe5156-291d-4a22-81cb-9501789d05de.jpe

Edited by raadsel

Depends on what you currently have in there -- doesn't matter when it was purchased (when we bought our car they already released another version, which I eventually bought).

If you have, say, A4 in there I'd definitely consider getting the update.  But if you do have A5 you are likely good to go for quite some time (I will skip A6 and go to A7).

I get what you're saying, but in my opinion the (legitimate) cards are expensive enough that if it didn't come with the map card then it didn't come with NAV..  If the dealer promoted that feature when they sold you the car then I would go back to the dealer and ask them to replace the missing card..

(for those who are asking the SD slot is in the center cargo compartment same place the USBs plug into) ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Does the GPS warns you about heavy traffic ahead or car accidents and recalculate the route? I've had my cmax a couple weeks and haven't been able to make this work.... Or I don't know if it's possible.

Btw, in planning to buy the updates SD card to have the most recent version of the maps, but that's useless if it doesn't let you know what's ahead in the road