Improve Winter MPG's By 4MPG for $1 investment

ptjones

Improve your Winter MPG's by 4MPG by Taping  up your grills.  The strategy here is to minimize heat lose, because the ICE needs to get up to operating temperature(202-212*F) to get the best MPG's. All heat comes from burning gas so the less you use to heat up the ICE the better your MPG's. BTW taping up the front of your car has another benefit of protecting your paint job. 

Supplies you will need, Heavy Duty clear packing tape,Windex cleaner and car wax. Clean and wax areas to be tape to make it easier to get off.

You need to setup your Smart Gauge like this. This is accomplished by toggling down Display menu to MyView then toggling right one step and then toggling down till you get Engage display. Then toggle right one step and then down till you get Temp display. Then hit OK button in the middle to save this, you can monitor MyView for water temperature.

myview temp

Then open hood and tape up intake holes as in the pics below. This keeps cold air from going into the intake of ICE, instead uses warmer air from the engine compartment which helps the ICE warmup sooner.

tape1

tape1.5

Next close hood and tape up the top grill opening to keep cold air from going into ICE compartment as shown in the picture.

tape3

Next tape up center grill as shown all the way across the two openings. Do the same thing to the lower grill.  You can also tape up hood and head light joints to keep cold out.  EASY! If you don't like it you can pretty easily take it back off.

tape2

Good Luck :)
Paul

So, does the MyView gauge respond continuously to temperature changes?  I've heard of gauges "designed" to just stay near the center until it goes "hot".  I've never seen mine go past center.  Has anyone compared how the gauge acts compared to readings from OBD-II as the engine gets hotter than normal?

So, does the MyView gauge respond continuously to temperature changes?  I've heard of gauges "designed" to just stay near the center until it goes "hot".  I've never seen mine go past center.  Has anyone compared how the gauge acts compared to readings from OBD-II as the engine gets hotter than normal?

I have compared Smart Gauge WT to ScanGauge digital output and Smart Gauge hits center at about 180*F and stays there till 228*F. The top line is 247*F and that is when red triangle overheating symbol comes on with alarm.

Is it the ICE temperature that helps MPG or the temperature of the intake combustion air?

WT is the most important component,but everything helps, WT, Oil,Trans. Fluid and Air Intake. My next step is to add Trans. Heater. :) 

Paul

Trans heater? I was under the understanding that transmissions should always run as cool as possible and any heat is not beneficial to a transmission. There is no fuel burning in a transmission, so I dont see how heat would help. The hotter a transmission runs, the lower the lifespan.

heatchrt.jpg

Covering the front end of your car with cellophane tape can help with fuel economy a bit.  Lightening up the car will help more so.  Might be time to start ripping out the carpeting, sound deadening, interior door panels, headliner, extra seats, and anything else that isn't necessary.  Once that is done, you can go on a crash diet, wear little to no clothing and then report back on your fuel economy.     ;)

You're definitely hardcore, ptjones.  Glad to see you're enjoying your car and hobby.   

Trans heater? I was under the understanding that transmissions should always run as cool as possible ...

That's true for conventional, torque converter-based automatic trannys. The hybrid synergy drive is more like a manual tranny in that it's all gears, and they're always meshed. Paul's just heating the oil so it flows better, not so it overheats.

Frank

That's true for conventional, torque converter-based automatic trannys. The hybrid synergy drive is more like a manual tranny in that it's all gears, and they're always meshed. Paul's just heating the oil so it flows better, not so it overheats.

Frank

Thanks Frank

hybridbear has been watching Trans. temps, with OT of 0*F he's getting 115*F, with OT of 40*F, 145-150*F with Grill Covers on. We get our best MPG's at around 80*F which should give a Trans temp around 180-200*F.  Unfortunately I can't monitor Trans temp yet, but I could turn on Trans Heater along with Block and Oil Pan Heaters to preheat everything up before starting the car. :)

Paul

Smart Gauge WT Gauge does change temp continuously.  I changed my mind for the Smart Gauge MyView Display to Power+Threshold/ WT gauge to get better MPG's.

SmartMyViewWT Display

:)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Smart Gauge WT Gauge does change temp continuously.  I changed my mind for the Smart Gauge MyView Display to Power+Threshold/ WT gauge to get better MPG's.

:)

Paul

Yes, but it isn't giving you a data PID with the actual temp readings in °F

It's similar to an idiot light and you have no idea where 200°F is on that gauge ;)

I don't think that gauge is linear either. You're asking for trouble without actual temperature info.

Edited by drdiesel1

Yes, but it isn't giving you a data PID with the actual temp readings in °F

It's similar to an idiot light and you have no idea where 200°F is on that gauge ;)

I don't think that gauge is linear either. You're asking for trouble without actual temperature info.

I guess you missed post#6:

"I have compared Smart Gauge WT to ScanGaugeII digital output and Smart Gauge hits center at about 180*F and stays there till 228*F. The top line is 247*F and that is when red triangle overheating symbol comes on with alarm." The coolant boils at 263*F in our system. :)

Paul

The gauge is marginally useful when you don't have ScanGaugeII, etc.

My little cmax doesn't like tape on her nose. I'll keep the 45 mpg Im getting, but thanks fro the suggestion. 

You could go with LEXAN Grill Covers which are hardly noticeable, do the same job and get 49MPG! I'm sure the your CMAX would love that, I know mine does. LOL :)

Paul

Is it the ICE temperature that helps MPG or the temperature of the intake combustion air?

As Paul states, water temperature (WT) is VERY important.  I have used a scangauge to monitor WT When it is cold outside (as in below freezing), I can drive 30 miles to work and never see the temp above 180F.  I covered 75% of my grill with Lexan covers (I made myself) and see the temp go over 200 and stay there most of my drive.  As for getting too hot, I drove with the grill covers up Old Fort on I-40 near Asheville, NC (a 6%+ grade for 6+ miles) outside temperature was in the mid 50's and the highest temp I got was 218F.  So as long as you don't leave them on in the dead of summer you should be alright.

As for exactly how much additional MPG you will get with grill covers, I can't give an exact answer, but I would guess it's worth 5-10%.  One of the main reasons I did it was to get faster and better cabin heat.  The car heats up MUCH faster and stays there longer with the heat on.

I guess you missed post#6:

"I have compared Smart Gauge WT to ScanGaugeII digital output and Smart Gauge hits center at about 180*F and stays there till 228*F. The top line is 247*F and that is when red triangle overheating symbol comes on with alarm." The coolant boils at 263*F in our system. :)

Paul

The gauge is marginally useful when you don't have ScanGaugeII, etc.

Yeah! I didn't see it. My point is, it's not a linear readout and could get you in trouble without the ECT PID.

As Paul states, water temperature (WT) is VERY important.  I have used a scangauge to monitor WT When it is cold outside (as in below freezing), I can drive 30 miles to work and never see the temp above 180F.

Seems strange. Even large diesel trucks with massive cooling systems, no grill shutters and a diesel system that is much more efficient than any gas engine will reach full operating temp on the coldest of days in 5 - 10 miles on the highway. I dont think I have ever driven a gasoline vehicle that dident reach full operating temp within a few miles on the highway, even if it was -40F out, and none of those vehicles have grill shutters like the cmax does. Last I drove my Cmax it was 35 out and I got to 180F in only a couple miles on the highway.

Edited by SPL Tech

Seems strange. Even large diesel trucks with massive cooling systems, no grill shutters and a diesel system that is much more efficient than any gas engine will reach full operating temp on the coldest of days in 5 - 10 miles on the highway. I dont think I have ever driven a gasoline vehicle that dident reach full operating temp within a few miles on the highway, even if it was -40F out, and none of those vehicles have grill shutters like the cmax does. Last I drove my Cmax it was 35 out and I got to 180F in only a couple miles on the highway.

How do you know you get to 180*F? The thermostat doesn't start to open up until 180*F and isn't totally open till 202*F. Operating temp is 202-212*F so it would take you 10-15min. more to get to 202*F if you even get there.  BTW I have seen lots of SEMI's with shutters in front of their radiators as well as snap on covers to minimize cold air flow.

As it turns out FORD went over board on the cooling system for the CMAX and you can keep the center grill covered all year long with no problems with getting hot during the summer going up long uphill grades from my many experiences. :)

Paul

How do you know you get to 180*F? The thermostat doesn't start to open up until 180*F and isn't totally open till 202*F. Operating temp is 202-212*F so it would take you 10-15min. more to get to 202*F if you even get there.  BTW I have seen lots of SEMI's with shutters in front of their radiators as well as snap on covers to minimize cold air flow.

As it turns out FORD went over board on the cooling system for the CMAX and you can keep the center grill covered all year long with no problems with getting hot during the summer going up long uphill grades from my many experiences. :)

Paul

I love it!  Over build and under utilize :happy feet:

Seems strange. Even large diesel trucks ...will reach full operating temp on the coldest of days in 5 - 10 miles on the highway....Last I drove my Cmax it was 35 out and I got to 180F in only a couple miles on the highway.

Get off the highway. 

I have a 15 mile, 30 minute commute. I'll see WT close to center at some point during the trip,  but not when I'm parking... by then, WT is rarely high enough to get heat in EV without the ICE starting. This with full grill blocks, but an ambient temperature well below freezing. At 15F, the engine will only stay warm if it's running. If you're EV'ing a lot, operating temeprature will be a goal not often achieved.

Last winter, I drove highways to stay warm. This winter, I've learned how to stay off the highiways, and still be comfortable, for the most part.

HAve fun,

Frank

Yes they do, on the highway, but the ICE in the CMax doesn't run ALL the time.  On the Highway, the CMax runs "most" of the time, but on surface streets (or if you trying to get REALLY good MPG), the ICE doesn't run as much and THAT is where the heat will not come up.  Especially in cold weather WITHOUT the heat on the HVAC on.

Because it says it on the dash, just like every CMAX.

I have to say my experience is the same as others here.  Once the temp is about 180, the gauge doesn't move.  And the amount it moves from 160-180 isn't much.

Edited by HannahWCU