Ford Parts Commonality

rotozuk

OK - The C-max is kind of a bastard child here in the USA. Not a lot of aftermarket available for it. What items from other vehicles can be used with the C-max?

I bring this up as I recently ordered some Ford Escape floor mats, and as I suspected they are a perfect fit for the C-max. I discovered this by chance comparison of part numbers. Seems even the manufacturer was not aware of this. Here is a sample picture.

post-2882-0-60034300-1422647596_thumb.jpg

So this begs the question, what else can be borrowed from other models that share the same basic platform? I'd bet some suspension bits could be shared with the Focus. Don't think I would mess with the brakes. 

One area I'd like to see an improvement to the C-max is the turning radius. I have not popped my head in the wheel well yet to see why on earth Ford has limited the steering so heavily. (Fucus is slightly better at 36 feet versus 38.4 on the Max.)

Anyhow, these conversations tend to bring up some interesting options.

-Wayne

Edited by rotozuk

Door handles should be the same!

I just came back from the big AHR Expo in Chicago.  Some Ford vans/trucks were on display all decked out for HVAC service guys.  I commented to a guy in the booth about how much the dash looked like my C-Max (did it ever!) and he proceeded to tell a story.  Years back he was at some Ford shindig where an executive asked how many different door handles Toyota used on all their models - just one!  Then he asked how many different ones Ford was using.  At the time there were more different door handles than models!  He then explained how that had to stop!  I think the designers may have listened - perhaps a bit too well.  No more variety!  Gone is "the spice of life".  Our cars should come with uniforms for us to wear!  And all the same color - White Platinum!

Too bad that guy couldn't influence the whole industry.  Why on earth do we need a hundred oil filters, a thousand tire sizes - good grief!  Four filter sizes should cover all consumer vehicles.

Anyway, there should be some common parts!

Great thread!  I just ordered some chrome bits for my C Max and the box says they fit the C Max/Escape.  They were door mirrors and door handle covers.  I also got some chrome trim for the door speakers and the dash light switch as well as the A/C vent surround for the back seat, all fit the C-Max/Escape and Kuga (another name for the Escape in China).