Fuel injector failure every 37,000 miles

Recumpence

Hello All,

Yesterday I had my second fuel injector failure since I have owned the car. I am right at 75,000 miles at this point. I am a little bummed that injector failures are so common on the C-Max. However, I am not disappointed with my purchase. This is not a ranting thread. It is merely an informational heads up for all of us. 

Last year my #3 injector went. Yesterday it was injector #2 that failed. The part was $47 and took an hour to install. Actually it took 2 hours but one hour was spent looking for a dropped socket as well as talking to a few mechanics about the location of the fuel rail depressurization valve. It turns out the C-Max does not have a fuel rail depressurization valve. You just let the fuel squirt onto a rag from under the injector. No biggie.

I must say, having a Scanguage is a great thing. I get the code from the gauge immediately, so I am not left in the dark. 

At this point I think I will order another injector so I have one "In stock" for the next failure. I hate to have to do that, but this is my work car and it sees a lot of miles. The injector is an uncommon part. No-one around me stocks it. So, I think I will buy one to have on-hand for the next time (maybe a year down the road from now). 

Of course, I will probably forget where I put it by then!

Since owning the car I have replaced two injectors, one left side front sway bar link, and the passenger side strut upper plate is slightly clunking. So, that is the next item to replace.

This is not the most reliable car out there. But, it has never left me stranded, parts are inexpensive, and it is relatively easy to work on. I still wish it were more reliable, though. Oh well, first model year, you know!

Matt

If I have the extended warranty to 125,000 miles, is this the kind of thing that is included?

All warranty coverage varies based on what coverage you buy. Same as any insurance policy.

Read your policy and you'll know what is and isn't covered.

IMO, this is something you should know before you pay for a policy.

My previous car, a Scion xB, had a really great rating for dependability.  It was a great car and I liked it a lot but during that time I had to replace spark plug coils kind of like you are talking about for the fuel injectors.  One at a time and I think I replaced 3 over 135K miles.  It also had a clutch go out at 20K miles (replacement was still in the car when I sold it so 115k mile on that one).  Plus power window issues a few times and the trim piece on the tailgate pulled right off when opening the hatch.  

Problems happen to any of them. 

All warranty coverage varies based on what coverage you buy. Same as any insurance policy.

Read your policy and you'll know what is and isn't covered.

IMO, this is something you should know before you pay for a policy.

Gee, Diesel, that was super helpful.  And thanks for reminding us that we must all live up to your high standards.   I think 90% of the questions on the forum could be answered with "read your manual" or "read your policy".   I'd be on that forum about 10 minutes.

For those who actually know the answer to Scubadad's reasonable question, feel free to respond.

For those who actually know the answer to Scubadad's reasonable question, feel free to respond.

drdiesel1's response was valid.  It all depends on the warranty purchased.  Was it an aftermarket warranty?  Was it a Ford warranty?  If aftermarket, which company, etc.  

Ford's ESP Base Care covers fuel rails and fuel pumps but makes no mention of injectors, so I'd assume they are not covered.

Ford's ESP Premium Care covers the above and also specifically mentions it covers fuel injectors.

Actually, this is not an uncommon problem. Google it and you will see what I mean.

However, I have noticed a trend, both of my injectors went out in super cold weather. The reports I have read online seem to be from drivers in cold climates and their injectors went out in winter. I bet thermal shock has something to do with it.

Yes the first injector was covered under warranty.

Matt

Gee, Diesel, that was super helpful.  And thanks for reminding us that we must all live up to your high standards.   I think 90% of the questions on the forum could be answered with "read your manual" or "read your policy".   I'd be on that forum about 10 minutes.

WELLLLLLLLLL! Considering they offer multiple coverage levels, it's not a simple yes or no.

You need to READ the policy to know whats covered. Sorry if you don't like my reply, but

it's to the point and most people need sugar with the truth. I don't carry any, so you'll need

to find your own. I'm an insurance inspector for failure analysis. Some companies offer 8

different coverage levels and it's a common practice for the dealer to over charge for the base

policy that isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Feel better now?

Edited by drdiesel1

Well, I am no mechanic, so it is a little difficult for me to translate, component by component, where Ford draws the line on what is and is not included. I don't know whether something like this is considered normal wear and tear, or if it is something that should normally last for the life of the vehicle.

I have the Ford plan, the top of the line one that includes all but the vehicle service, and it is to 125,000. I am assuming that this is not a normal wear and tear type of thing, but there could me a high mileage driver out there that has tried to make a claim for this, and I was hoping to hear the report for what happened, if such a claim had been made.

Well, I am no mechanic, so it is a little difficult for me to translate, component by component, where Ford draws the line on what is and is not included. I don't know whether something like this is considered normal wear and tear, or if it is something that should normally last for the life of the vehicle.

I have the Ford plan, the top of the line one that includes all but the vehicle service, and it is to 125,000. I am assuming that this is not a normal wear and tear type of thing, but there could me a high mileage driver out there that has tried to make a claim for this, and I was hoping to hear the report for what happened, if such a claim had been made.

If the policy covers it and you're within the policy coverage period, it's covered.

Edited by drdiesel1

Good points, and useful graph

But I found the (bolded) comment condescending.  Nobody appreciates being told what they "should know".  Please. 

Considering the FACT that, I wasn't talking to you in my reply........ Who cares how your little feelings, feel.

Get over yourself and learn to deal with the truth. Your feelings posts are useless and add nothing. PLEASE!

Edited by drdiesel1

And this driver is *still* confused -- this IS covered under the original three year warranty?  Or not?

(Although I'm unlikely to have 37K even at four years, let alone three.  And I don't live where it's cold, natch).

Fuel injectors should be covered under the 3/36 B2B as I don't see it specifically excluded from coverage.  But, fuel injectors are not shown as covered under the 5/60 Powertrain warrant;y.   The 2013 and 2014 Warranty documents are attached.

13hybwa2e.pdf14hybwa1e.pdf

Hello All,

Yesterday I had my second fuel injector failure since I have owned the car. I am right at 75,000 miles at this point. I am a little bummed that injector failures are so common on the C-Max. However, I am not disappointed with my purchase. This is not a ranting thread. It is merely an informational heads up for all of us....

There’s nothing wrong with being a hands-on person, Recumpence.

If you get stuck on anything, I recommend taking your C-MAX to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed, and contact me as well.

Please keep me posted!  :) 

If I have the extended warranty to 125,000 miles, is this the kind of thing that is included?

All warranty coverage varies based on what coverage you buy...

It all depends on the warranty purchased...

Fuel injectors should be covered under the 3/36 B2B as I don't see it specifically excluded from coverage.  But, fuel injectors are not shown as covered under the 5/60 Powertrain warrant;y.   The 2013 and 2014 Warranty documents are attached.

attachicon.gif13hybwa2e.pdfattachicon.gif14hybwa1e.pdf

Hey guys,

I agree with Bugblndr and drdiesel1. It depends on what plan you’ve elected. I recommend checking out the ESP website here . You can also speak directly with an ESP rep at 877-794-6434. Hours of operation: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. EST. They are in the best position to answer your inquiries, and go over what’s covered under your specific plan.

If anyone is having a concern with their vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be happy to look into my resources on this end.

Have a great weekend!  :) 

Tricia 

Edited by FordService

Considering the FACT that, I wasn't talking to you in my reply........ Who cares how your little feelings, feel.

Get over yourself and learn to deal with the truth. Your feelings posts are useless and add nothing. PLEASE!

Like the (admirably restrained) Plus 3 Golfer last week, I'm not prepared to get into a juvenile spitting match with you.  Keep on insulting people and you'll get kicked off the forum a second time. 

Edited by Adrian_L