Fuel injector failure every 37,000 miles

Recumpence

How hard was it to replace the injector?

Work done at dealer under extended warranty, so just wait time for me.  Ready next day - seems to running fine again.

Not sure how a fuel injector "breaks" - just clogged or does something shear off somehow.  Wonder if Ford looks at such broken parts from a QA/improvement/root cause perspective, in case it is a manufacturing defect of some kind for a part common across a family or model year. 

Work done at dealer under extended warranty, so just wait time for me.  Ready next day - seems to running fine again.

Not sure how a fuel injector "breaks" - just clogged or does something shear off somehow.  Wonder if Ford looks at such broken parts from a QA/improvement/root cause perspective, in case it is a manufacturing defect of some kind for a part common across a family or model year. 

I believe Warranty work, they send the parts back to FORD to have them evaluated. This may also keep the Dealers honest to keep them from preforming unneeded work. :) 

Paul 

• 2 months later...

The fuel injector for our #4 cylinder went our yesterday morning.  We started the car (2013 SEL with about 48,000 miles), drove about 2 houses down the street and then there was loud noise and vibration up front and the check engine light started flashing.  We immediately parked the car and had it towed to the dealer at noon.  They read the code which indicated a bad fuel injector.  They replaced the injector this morning and did our 14E02 and 15B04 updates too.  My wife drove the car home and all seemed to be operating normally.

Gas from Kroger is the same as gas from anywhere, it all comes from the same refinery. Last time I filled up I saved eighty cent's a gallon!

That isn't quite true. While the base gas is the same, the difference is the extras added to the gas. Typically, lower end gas stations and many gas stations only have the EPA minimum, which many experts claim is insufficient. Top Tier gas has a level of detergents that meets higher standards, which do a much better job at keeping injectors and fuel lines clean.

• 6 months later...

Well, count me in the failed injector camp.  "Misfire in cylinder 3."  Same symptoms as others, viz. VERY rough idle, check engine light, and, in my case, an accelerator pedal that did nothing.  Press on the pedal and nothing happens.  Weird sensation.  Rather like a computer mouse that doesn't work.  Oh, but the "ready to drive" message and icon were displayed.

I ran a health check and it said the check engine light is on.  That was helpful.  Engineering test mode showed no codes whatever.

Had car towed to dealer and three workdays later "DTC p0203" and "replace #3 injector."  All done under warranty (43k mi).  Including the tow.

So now I'm back on the road but with gradually failing trust in the cars reliability.  Too bad.  I really, really like the car.

PS:  It's getting harder and harder to refrain from sarcasm when writing posts.

Well, count me in the failed injector camp.  "Misfire in cylinder 3."  Same symptoms as others, viz. VERY rough idle, check engine light, and, in my case, an accelerator pedal that did nothing.  Press on the pedal and nothing happens.  Weird sensation.  Rather like a computer mouse that doesn't work.  Oh, but the "ready to drive" message and icon were displayed.

I ran a health check and it said the check engine light is on.  That was helpful.  Engineering test mode showed no codes whatever.

Had car towed to dealer and three workdays later "DTC p0203" and "replace #3 injector."  All done under warranty (43k mi).  Including the tow.

So now I'm back on the road but with gradually failing trust in the cars reliability.  Too bad.  I really, really like the car.

PS:  It's getting harder and harder to refrain from sarcasm when writing posts.

What's your mileage ?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I wish I could get 37K miles. I've replaced it twice since July which was about 10K miles. I'm thankful that we bought an extended service warranty but really don't think I should have to pay $100 every time this obviously defective part fails. I've found that overall the CMAX is a bad choice for Minnesota winter driving. The chassis is too low which results in ice build up in the under carriage. I asked about this when I purchased the car and was assured it was not a problem. Trust me, it is a big problem! There are so many other things that I like about this vehicle that I wish Ford would correct these issues before I purchase my next car. The CMAX is way more comfortable than a Toyota Prius which would be my other choice.

I wish I could get 37K miles. I've replaced it twice since July which was about 10K miles. I'm thankful that we bought an extended service warranty but really don't think I should have to pay $100 every time this obviously defective part fails. I've found that overall the CMAX is a bad choice for Minnesota winter driving. The chassis is too low which results in ice build up in the under carriage. I asked about this when I purchased the car and was assured it was not a problem. Trust me, it is a big problem! There are so many other things that I like about this vehicle that I wish Ford would correct these issues before I purchase my next car. The CMAX is way more comfortable than a Toyota Prius which would be my other choice.

Are you talking about snow in the wheel wells?  Are you using Grill Covers to keep the snow and ice out of the radiator area? :headscratch:

Paul

Ford replacement parts have a 12 month guarantee. A fix should be free if it fails within that time. I think there is generally a mileage limit as well, but check it out.

• 9 months later...

Got injector failure at 124k and in 500km from home. reached home almost fine. It was look like injector was working and not time to time. Checked injector resistance - open circuit.  Could any body tell  me how to change it? Or may be some body have manufacture repair manual or scheme?

Thanks

Looks like this is the same injector used on the 2.0L engine in Ford Focus for last 10 years or so.  To replace injectors you need to relieve fuel pressure, remove whatever is in the way, disconnect fuel line to fuel rail, unclip 4 injector power wires, unbolt fuel rail, and pull the rail, with injectors attached, away from engine.   You can take the rail with injectors to a workbench and pull the injectors off and replace them.  Then reverse.  Look for youtube video on replacing Ford Focus injectors.

Looks like besides the original Motorcraft  CM-5148 injector, "Standard" makes a clone with a lifetime warranty, around $36 at Amazon.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have read through all of this string and I, unfortunately, have one of the cars that has had ALL 4 fuel injectors go.  The symptoms are always the same, the car runs fine on EV but once the gas kicks in, it shakes and shimmies all over the place.  The first two were covered under warranty, however after 36k miles, FORD refused to cover the other two.  One failed at 30K, one at at 34K, one at 60k, and the last one at 85k.  None of them failed twice, all four of them failed one time.  Since I'm not able to repair these myself, my dealership covered the cost to repair #3.  But when #4 went, they said they couldn't cover the cost again.  It cost me almost $400.  I have seen all over the Internet that the CMAX has a definite issue with fuel injectors.  When I opened a case with Ford about if this would be a recall and be covered, they just closed the case and said "not under warranty".  The dealership said FORD won't do anything about it unless it's a safety issue.  Well, I have had to have it towed three times from work, almost an hour away.  The expense is growing rapidly.  Hmmmm, great customer service Ford!!  Social media is a great way to express frustration with a company so maybe you should listen to your customers a little bit more!  On a 2nd note, my CMAX gets Check Engine light warnings a LOT!   The first time it happened, I took it to the dealership and they checked out the error code.  Said it had something to do with the battery.  This started around 90k.  Checked everything over and told me it all checked out fine.  They reset the code and I drove the car home after paying the $169 bill.  Three weeks later it happened again so I called them back.  It would be another $169 to check the code.  "But Auto Zone will check it for free".  "Well, then go have them fix it."  grrrrrrr    The car was running fine so I just left it.  Three days later the Check Engine light went out.  Three weeks later it was back, then gone again after two days.  It comes on now about every 3-4 weeks.  I love my car, but I hate all of the failures and that FORD won't stand behind their products.  I can't even depend on making it to work or back anymore, more less take it anywhere else like on a vacation.