Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Fuel injector failure every 37,000 miles

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 216 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:39 PM

Sorry to hear the injector went.  As I remember replacing them definitely looked like something one could do oneself - they are high on the engine and are just pressed into little 0-ring like gaskets on the manifold. If this happened to me, and I did the work myself, i would replace all 4 - almost all the labor is in removing and installing the rail, so negligible increment to do all injectors at once. 

Please post here to let us know how it went.

Good luck!

• Adrian_L likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

Amazon.com let me down big time.  They promised 2 day delivery on four Motorcraft CM-5148s  then when I went back to check on the status it told me arrival date was Jan 1-Feb 1!    Back-ordered, apparently.

Anyway it all worked out because there are 4 injectors now waiting for me in Bellingham at Walmart. 

I watched the youtube video and it looks pretty straightforward.   Stay tuned....

• ptjones likes this

#83 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

Ok, so have removed the cover and unplugged all the injectors and various sensors around the fuel rail.  Only problem is I can't see a way to easily disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.   There is a small metal tube leading from the fuel rail into a bell shaped metal connector.  I don't know if I can just pull the fuel rail out of this bell shaped receptacle or if that will damage anything. 

It doesn't appear as if there are any other connections further up the fuel line.

Any help appreciated!

(UPDATE: )

Figured it out.   It's a push on style fuel connector with four little tabs inside the "bell".   You can get a disconnect tool, but I just took a 3/8" length of PVC tube, cut down the middle.   I jammed it in the bell part with a screwdriver and the two tubes came apart.

Job took me about two hours in total.   Removal of the fuel rail, with that rat's maze of cables, was the only daunting part of the job.

Speaking of rodents, I needed to vacuum out some droppings from around the top of the cylinder head.  I guess it's pretty cozy under the air cleaner cover when the mercury falls.

Car is back to running smoothly.  Incidentally, a Ford dealership in Vancouver wanted to charge me $140 CAD for each injector.  I found them for around $40 USD online out of the States.

Edited by Adrian_L, 09 December 2018 - 03:56 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·